Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Sport Trac SAS

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by chad551, September 15, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. crazyflights

crazyflights Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Ok, cool I might be undertaking another 2nd gen Sas but I want it to have at least rear sway bar for road driving also.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Nicely done swap! :thumbsup:

4. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      Hey chad this is Jerry from the Sport Trac site. I'm considering doing a Long Arm SAS on my '03 in the next year or so, better or worse/ cheaper or more expensive to do that rather than doing the leafspring setup like yours? Whatta think? I will be doing no mudding, all trail riding and will bring it to moab in the future but it's gonna be my DD as well.

5. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      The long arm setup is nice, and will flex alot better then mine does. I will eventually re-do my SAS and likely do a 3 link setup or possibly a long arm setup. You can also do a radius arm SAS as well and it works very well. Brad/Bronco2guy did a radius arm SAS and that thing was sweet. Cant believe he sold it.

6. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Any updates, Chad?

7. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      No updates from me. Work on the ST has stopped for awhile. It does just fine as it sits, so it will likely be when I get another vehicle and can park it for an extended period of time.

Last edited: January 10, 2011
    8. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Then = sweet/aweosme !!!!

9. shooterdude199

shooterdude199 Active Member

City, State:
      Irmo, South Carolina
      01 Sport Trac
      hey man, love the sport trac! wish i could do something like that but it would be wayyyyyy too much money for me lol. but i was just wondering do you like how your truck runs with it tuned? is it worth it or is it like ehh?

10. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      I like the my XCAL2, but I have alot of other mods done to it as well. I would say it is worth it.

11. shooterdude199

shooterdude199 Active Member

City, State:
      Irmo, South Carolina
      01 Sport Trac
      could you tell a difference? what kind of tunes do they include?

12. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      The tuner that did mine made 3 tunes for me. 87oct performance, 87 towing, and 91oct perf.

13. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      2000 XLS
      Sweet looking truck Chad, nice work.

14. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      Hey Chad, where'd you get the quick disconnects for your Trac? Also can you spost some links for 3 link setups so I can start studying up on those? Thanks man.

15. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      Gotta chance to pick up a piar of DANA 44's for my Trac to do the SAS, curious if they would by too wide. I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. and their kinda strick on tires theat stick out past the fenders to much, I see yours don't stick out. The front is from a '70s jeep Waggy and comes with new in package Warn hubs, the rear is from a '98 Rodeo, both have everything on them same bolt pattern and the guys asking $500. Good deal, too wide for my application since I don't want them sticking out too far? Sorry for all the questions but new to do this to a newer vehicle, I'm used to fullsize trucks with straight axles not putting them uder a midsize truck.

16. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      Well, missed out on the DANA 44's, guy sold them to someone else first. Oh well, not ready to build yet but was gonna maybe start collecting parts.

17. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      The quick disconnects for the rear sway bar, were just pins for a trailer hitch with a washer welded on oneside. I dont have any websites for a 3 link build, I just do a search on yahoo or google. I have determined that i will be rebuilding mine using the info posted on page 5 or 6 of my build thread that rock ranger posted. Take a look at this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302332 this is how I am going to build my new suspension.

I think it is a good idea to start buying your parts now for your swap as long as you know you are doing it. That is how I did mine, I would look at Pirate and here on the swap and sell boards to find parts. I think I paid 200.00 for my high steer knuckles with the high steer arms, studs and ball joints from pirate, guy was desperate to sell. I got my entire front disk conversion from a guy on ebay who sells them, that was also pretty cheap to.

Also you dont need a rear Dana44 axle. From what I have read, I believe the 8.8 is stronger, and all you need is wheel adapters to change to a 5x5.5 lug pattern, this is what I did.

Also here some info on Waggy axles:
      When choosing one of these axles, it needs to be from a 1980-1981 or 1985-1992 Wagoneer. 1979 and earlier had the differential on the passenger side. 1982-1984 had a problematic vacuum disconnect that was built into the differential for the two piece long side shaft and should be avoided

18. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      Thanks Chad for the help. I'm used to working on and with fullsizes and their suspension so alot of this midsize fabrication and matching parts, etc. is new to me. I do miss my old '79 Scout II, that was a freakin beast.

19. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
    20. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      it does get dirty LOL :)

21. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      That was a cold rainy day.. But still fun...

22. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      BRRRR....My teeth chatter looking at those pics, I remember how cold it was. Haha

23. mjenk430

mjenk430 Member

City, State:
      Orange Co, VA
      '02 Lifted Sport Trac
      Hi Chad. I am a newcomer to the forum as you can see. Post number 1!! I have an 02 ST with superlift kit, BL, TT, and shackles on 36x15.50x18s with 1.5" wheel spacers. (I know, I went overboard with the tires). It has been setup this way for about 5 years now. It's really only gets driven on the weekends and mostly highway use, with the occasional light offroading. I have put about 20,000 miles on it with this setup and with the IFS, have gone through numerous UCA's and lower ball joists. So, I am seriously considering doing the SAS swap.

Now to my questions, finally :) I have been reading through the forums all weekend and I feel your truck and situation most resemble mine. Now that you have had the SAS for a couple years now, are you glad you went this route? Are there any decisions you would make differently now? coils rather than leafs?

Also, do you think someone with my experience level is out of their mind to try and tackle a project like this. I have moderate mechanical knowledge. I have done all of the previous work to my truck myself. I have a buddy who is a welder to assist me with those portions of the project. But I have no real experience with steering geometry, and to be honest that is the part of the project that scares me the most. Any thoughts?

Thanks for help to a newbie on the forum. I hope to be participating more in the future. (Especially if I actually decide to go through with the SAS)

Oh, and by the way, AWESOME TRUCK, I guess I should have mentioned that first :)

24. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      I have been very happy with the SAS. I would like to change to a linked setup up front only so it would flex alot more. But mine does flex enough for what I do with it. My main reason for the SAS was to actually save some money. I was going through a set of 35"s tires every year because the IFS would not stay aligned. Plus I wanted more security when driving to Moab from St.Louis to go rock crawling and then drive it back home.

I actually found a couple mistakes I made this weekend (that I will not share due to embarassment) when measuring for a possible linked setup. So with my newly found mistake I am going to fix that first and see what happens. As for the mechanical knowledge i have never done this before, until I did mine. There is alot of info on this site, and a whole bunch of very helpful guys. I would have to say the hardest part for me was mounting the new steering box and fabbing the brackets for it, then next would be cleaning the frame. This was only made difficult because I did the entire project by myself, with an occasional helping hand stopping by every once in a while to see my progress, and drink my beer. The steering is very mportant but it is not that hard once you see how it goes together.

I would start by planning it out first. If you decide to do the SAS, then start getting your parts first and have the axle completely built and ready to install before you start. I had everything I needed except wheels and tires before I started. And added some items as it progressed.

25. Randall

Randall Demon4x4 Member

City, State:
      Mo. City, TX
      1991 Demon Edition
      I can totally understand that, but sharing your mistakes might help keep others from doing the same. We've all made mistakes, trust me.

26. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      Basically it appears my drivers side shackle mount is not straight, and is not centered correctly with the axle leaf mounts. So I have a drivers side leaf spring in a bind.

So my project for the weekend is going to involve dropping the axle, cuting off the front and rear leaf spring mounts, building new mounts, triple check measurements for proper axle placement, and then re-installing the axle. I also made some new shackles that are about 2" longer and those may get installed after I check the height of the truck, with my new tires.