Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Sport Trac SAS

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by chad551, September 15, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. crazyflights

crazyflights Elite Explorer

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Hmm, u know this thing would look mean with some 37s LOL is it to late!!???

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      My new 35's are being delivered tommorow. 37's would look nice, but I would need new gears. And 37" tires for a 17" rim are high $$$$$$$$$$$$. Got a great deal on my new tires though.

4. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      "Measure twice, cut and weld once". All great in theory but as we all know it's always a learning process and once a project, always a project. lol. Thanks for sharing the info. Chad, which setup do you think would be better for me whe I do mine? leaf or link? It'll be a daily driver like yours, mainly driven on the city streets and highways in Pittsburgh (mainly hilly and curvy roads) As much as I want to do a link setup I'm think the leafspring setup would be safer for the roads around here. I don't drive like a mad man but since my wife and I are expecting our first child in October I geuss I need to look into safety and stability even more now.

5. mjenk430

mjenk430 Member

City, State:
      Orange Co, VA
      '02 Lifted Sport Trac
      Thanks for the info Chad. A few more questions, if you don't mind :) I read above where you recommended the dana 44 axles out of a 80-81 or 85-92 wagoneer. I assume this is because of their length and because the pumpkin is on the driver's side? Are there other reasons that make this a prime donor? Are there other years and models that I should keep my eyes open for, or is the wagoneer really my best/only option. I want to keep the length as close to original as possible. (Not going for the full size axle look.)

Also, I read where you had asked about the ABS, but I don;t recall you getting an answer. What did you do about your ABS?

I hope this question doesn't show my complete ignorance, but here goes. So you now have manual hubs? You have to get out of the truck and lock the hubs at the wheels (old school style)? But still use the stock electronic "dial" on the dash to engage the transfer case? And then you have installed two switches to engage the front and rear ARB lockers? ....Wait, I just went back and looked at your pics, and you have center caps on your front wheels. So the hubs stay engaged all the time, rotating the axles, front-rear, and front drive shaft all the time? OK, now I'm confused. I guess I did manage to show my ignorance :)

6. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      mjenk430, trust me their are never any dumb questions asked, it's really only ignorance if you don't ask them and then make mistakes because of it. Most members here had to start somewhere, so you're fine.

7. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac

The wagoneer axle is close to the same width, the best option is an axle from an early bronco, they are a little narrower, but harder to find from my experience and more $$$$. Wagoneer axles are pretty easy to find and cheap. Plus if you do a leaf setup the axle is already setup for leafs. Follow this link for Dana 44 info. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

I do not have ABS any longer in my truck, and to be honest I dont really notice a difference. At some point I would like to remove the ABS module from the engine bay, for more space but I developed a "it if works, leave it alone attitude" since I did the SAS. This attitude holds true that I may not even mess removing the leafs and doing a linked setup. Like I said the leafs work so why bother.

As for the hubs I have Warn manual hubs, that are a stock item at Advance Autoparts, Autozone ,etc. So I have to get out and manually engage the hubs for 4 wheel drive. I did this so in the event I break a chromoly axle or CTM u joint I can disengage that wheel and limp out of a trail in 3 wheel drive, and drive it home. Plus it saves MPG when daily driven, since I am turning the axles and t-case.

For my center caps, they are a 2 piece design so I just took my dremel and opened the inside of the plastic center cap so it slides over the hub. It just looks better IMO. I still have the outer peice that has the wheel manufacturers name on it. But I still have the same switch in the cab to engage the transfer case. And I have switches for the ARB compressor and locker.

8. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      I dont think I am any expert on SAS, and would hate to tell you the wrong thing for what would be in your best intrest, because I honestly dont know.

My truck drives great with leafs. I know some people may not like reading this, but I can still do 80-100 MPH all day long if I wanted to and it is very stable... I dont do that though as I usually always have my son with me.

I am sure you could build a linked setup, and put a sway bar on it, and it will be fine. The decision is ultimately how much you want to spend and how much fab work you are prepared to do.

Would I love to have a linked setup with some bling coilover shocks? You bet I would!!!! But I also have alot of things I could spend that $2k bucks on to.

I think my next mods for my truck will be an Atlas T-case, an ARB locker for the rear, and I am seriously considering the STS turbo kit :burnout:

9. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      Man, that is a beautiful truck. I almost regret not searching harder for one when I was in the market for a new ride but the nice ones around here are ridiculously expensive and almost as rare as a BII. (Bought an 89 Land Cruiser instead.) It's also nice seeing it get dirty despite it being relatively young. Great work! :thumbsup:

10. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      I think I'll stick with my original plan and just go leafspring setup simply for the stability over the linked setup. My wife drives it so I want it as safe as I get make it for the roads around here. Plus with a kid on the way I need to keep the costs down. Thanks again for the help.

11. mjenk430

mjenk430 Member

City, State:
      Orange Co, VA
      '02 Lifted Sport Trac
    12. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Any picks of the new kicks.

13. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      That is the kit, and yes it is more expensive.

Brad I will get pics of the new tires in the morning.

14. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      New shoes!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      And I made some new parts. So I can fix my goof..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      And I made some new shackles too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      This is prolly not the place to show it, but here is my new toy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. turboexplorer

turboexplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      Love new tires! Looks good and I am jealous of your new toy. Can make a lot of parts with that. :)

Also still surprised that the mount being a hair off affects the articulation or cycle of the front so much.

19. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      2000 XLS
      All looks good Chad, I like the tires :D

20. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      How do you like that Porta-band set-up? I was thinking of doing that someday myself.

21. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      I am not sure how much the improper mounting of the shackle mounts affect articulation, but it is not perfect, and that is what I expect of myself.

I like the Porta-band table mount. It works really well, not sure how good the mitre guide will work since the band saw blade flexes a little. But I got the porta-band for 150.00 and it was brand new. Kinda could not pass it up. So now I can make all my own brackets with the saw or my plasma cutter... Wife says I have issues with collecting tools... I always thought the guy with the most tools wins :dunno:

22. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Why did you change from Km2's? better price??

23. chad551

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      I was not happy with the performance of the KM2 tires. They were fine on dry terrain and rocks, but when it was muddy, they just packed up with mud and got me stuck. Remember how many times I was stuck at your place? The snow performance was marginal at best, and in rain they were just ok. These Nittos have been great so far. I have already ran them in snow and rain. And the difference is very noticeable, plus at 280.00/tire to my door was great. And they are very quite on the road, which suprised me somewhat.

24. mjenk430

mjenk430 Member

City, State:
      Orange Co, VA
      '02 Lifted Sport Trac
      Hey Chad, I'm working on my 02 ST SAS and I was curious how far forward does your axle sit from its stock location? I have tacked my front and rear mounts onto the frame as far back as possible (radiator in front, body mount in rear) and according to my measurements I am 4in further forward than stock.

25. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      few pics for you buddy :)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

26. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      People freak out when they see your rig. Heck I have a hard time getting over how big that thing is, and I have been around it many times now....LOL

Looking good Chad :thumbsup: