Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 v8 auto transmission behind a 4.0?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Imnotmark, December 3, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Imnotmark

Imnotmark New Member

City, State:
      Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1988 bronco ii xlt
      Does anyone know of any adapter kit or anything I know the bellhousing patterns are different quick Google search I can't find anything I need to put V8 transmission behind a V6

I have a 4.0 single overhead cam Explorer or the bad transmission and have a 4.6 with a bad engine I want to put the 4.6 transmission behind the 4.0

Transmission is free to me cost would just be in the adapter plate and driveshafts Maybe...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrQ

MrQ Take the Bull by the Horns Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Stafford, TX
      '98 Eddie Bauer
      Callsign:
      MrQ
      You would have to change the transmission. Even though they are both 5R55W transmissions, the bellhousing patterns are different and as far as I know there are no adapter plates that exist for this combination. Sorry.

4. Imnotmark

Imnotmark New Member

City, State:
      Pa
      1988 bronco ii xlt
      Figured as much... Couldn't find any adapters online. Ohwell not worth the hassle to me... Thanks