• Register Today It's free!

2002 Xlt V8

androofoo

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
hey guys.. imma wannabe elite-explorer and ive got some serious problems on my explorer and i decided to come onto the forums to see if anyone can help me out. but words can only describe so much..

lets start with the drivetrain
• the first 3 gears have a hard time shifting in gear and when it does there is serious jerking
• when i apply my brakes hard, my gears CLICK with an uncomfortable thud throughout the car right before the car comes to a complete stop

• and my motor does not sound healty at all. when idling my car, it sounds like a lot of air is coming out from underneath the chassis. a steam engine train.. thats just what it sounds like.

please! if you can help me determine my truck's problems :D THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like that truck is either a lemon, or it's been treated REALLY hard... Are you doing things with it that should be done by a 1 ton truck?

First off, how many miles? When did these problems begin, and what were you doing when they started?

I have an 02 with the V8 and haven't experienced anything you've described, so I'm not sure I can help.

ill make u go :eek:

it has already over a little over 100,000 miles and things started going downhill around 95,000. i dont really push the car hard at all. i would take the car off road on trails, but thats as far as i went. oh did i mention, more problems.. my O/D led's been blinkin on me twice.

thats what happens to newer fords after 100,000 miles. time to trade it in and get a new one. its going to nickel and dime you to death and youll end up paying nearly as much, if not more, than just getting a new one. its part of business. make the vehicles so they only last 100,000 miles so the consumer is forced to buy a new one a few years down the road. thats why the foreign car industry is whooping the domestic industry's ass. then again thats just my $.02 ;)

androofoo said:
hey guys.. imma wannabe elite-explorer and ive got some serious problems on my explorer and i decided to come onto the forums to see if anyone can help me out. but words can only describe so much..

lets start with the drivetrain
• the first 3 gears have a hard time shifting in gear and when it does there is serious jerking
• when i apply my brakes hard, my gears CLICK with an uncomfortable thud throughout the car right before the car comes to a complete stop

• and my motor does not sound healty at all. when idling my car, it sounds like a lot of air is coming out from underneath the chassis. a steam engine train.. thats just what it sounds like.

please! if you can help me determine my truck's problems :D THANKS!

I just replaced the trans solenoid pack on mine at 70k miles. The shifting was similar to what you described (with the exception of the OD light), and since the work it is like new.

pimp03explorer said:
thats what happens to newer fords after 100,000 miles. time to trade it in and get a new one. its going to nickel and dime you to death and youll end up paying nearly as much, if not more, than just getting a new one. its part of business. make the vehicles so they only last 100,000 miles so the consumer is forced to buy a new one a few years down the road. thats why the foreign car industry is whooping the domestic industry's ass. then again thats just my $.02 ;)

sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've seen Fords last upwards to close to 400K on them that out last Hondas and Toyotas.

Most of this guys problems come from his tranny. If he fixes up his tranny, all will be new just about.

100K on american cars and trucks are just breaking in. You should see easily 300K like I got all my Fords up to, including 01 F150, 98 Mercury Sable. I plan to hit over 300K in my 02 Mountaineer next

02mountaineerv8 said:
sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've seen Fords last upwards to close to 400K on them that out last Hondas and Toyotas.

Most of this guys problems come from his tranny. If he fixes up his tranny, all will be new just about.

100K on american cars and trucks are just breaking in. You should see easily 300K like I got all my Fords up to, including 01 F150, 98 Mercury Sable. I plan to hit over 300K in my 02 Mountaineer next

to each their own. its just that when domestic cars ruled the US, they built them so consumers had no other choice but to go with their cars once they broke down. its a matter of fact, not opinion. thats why domestic cars are kicking domestics @ss'. as soon as the domestic market come to the realization that they need to improove their quality then they will last as long as you say they will. im sure that the cars u mentioned had gone through several engines. 100k miles isnt the breaking in time for american cars, maybe for deisels, not gasoline. if you drive a domestic car over 100k, your throwing your money away on fixing them.

pimp03explorer said:
to each their own. its just that when domestic cars ruled the US, they built them so consumers had no other choice but to go with their cars once they broke down. its a matter of fact, not opinion. thats why domestic cars are kicking domestics @ss'. as soon as the domestic market come to the realization that they need to improove their quality then they will last as long as you say they will. im sure that the cars u mentioned had gone through several engines. 100k miles isnt the breaking in time for american cars, maybe for deisels, not gasoline. if you drive a domestic car over 100k, your throwing your money away on fixing them.

you don't know much about Ford engines do you? The 4.6 v-8 engine is one of Fords bullet proof engines, its been proven and one of the best all around. I'm sure if you thought Ford was so bad, why in hell do you have an 05 Explorer then? I would never ever buy a car I didn't think would last till at least 200K! Thats worthless if a car can't go to 200k! Ford on the other hand can go at more then 100-200K more then that and top out at 400K.

Just to let you know, My f150 and my Sable had were original and only major projext was rebuilding the Tranny on the Sable at 160K and another rebuild on the f150 at 183K. Engines ran like new, but the body rusted out on me, so in other words, the engines out lasted the body at 300K.

I recomend you reading more about Ford owners and the fourms under Engines and read how long Ford engines are lasting them also. to only get 200K would be a waste of money to any car to buy. The shortest a car has ever lasted me was a Chevy Cavalier which died at 179K miles, and that was a very cheep car but still lasted that long.

Do your homework bud and stop driving a Ford and buy urself a Nice Kia since you say they are built better and last longer.

02mountaineerv8 said:
you don't know much about Ford engines do you? The 4.6 v-8 engine is one of Fords bullet proof engines, its been proven and one of the best all around. I'm sure if you thought Ford was so bad, why in hell do you have an 05 Explorer then? I would never ever buy a car I didn't think would last till at least 200K! Thats worthless if a car can't go to 200k! Ford on the other hand can go at more then 100-200K more then that and top out at 400K.

Just to let you know, My f150 and my Sable had were original and only major projext was rebuilding the Tranny on the Sable at 160K and another rebuild on the f150 at 183K. Engines ran like new, but the body rusted out on me, so in other words, the engines out lasted the body at 300K.

I recomend you reading more about Ford owners and the fourms under Engines and read how long Ford engines are lasting them also. to only get 200K would be a waste of money to any car to buy. The shortest a car has ever lasted me was a Chevy Cavalier which died at 179K miles, and that was a very cheep car but still lasted that long.

Do your homework bud and stop driving a Ford and buy urself a Nice Kia since you say they are built better and last longer.

i have an 05 explorer because my 03 explorer had too many miles on it (40,000). i had the 03 because my 01 sport trac had too many miles on it also (39,000). as you can see ive stuck with fords, but get rid of them before they start to take money from you. my dad trades his fords in every 2 years, and im carrying on the ritual. hes owned fords his whole life. when he first started buying them he kept them until they broke down. they he realized that its cheaper to just buy a new one every 2-3 years than start fixing them after 5. above 100k miles the cars are useless.

i would never drive an import or foreign car. i support american workers and would never do that. you can argue fact that foreign cars last longer. look at the trend in the auto market dumb fvck. everyone is going to foreign because theyre better, hands down.

pimp03explorer said:
i have an 05 explorer because my 03 explorer had too many miles on it (40,000). i had the 03 because my 01 sport trac had too many miles on it also (39,000). as you can see ive stuck with fords, but get rid of them before they start to take money from you. my dad trades his fords in every 2 years, and im carrying on the ritual. hes owned fords his whole life. when he first started buying them he kept them until they broke down. they he realized that its cheaper to just buy a new one every 2-3 years than start fixing them after 5. above 100k miles the cars are useless.

i would never drive an import or foreign car. i support american workers and would never do that. you can argue fact that foreign cars last longer. look at the trend in the auto market dumb fvck. everyone is going to foreign because theyre better, hands down.

ha! I have a freind who used to drive an 02 Honda Civic and an 96 Camry. Needless to say, what do you think he's driving now? I'll tell ya, he traded in the Honda and the Toyota and got himself a new 05 FORD F-150 Supercrew. The Honda always had engine problems which wasn't covered inder warrnety since he was out of the coverage miles. The Toyota had all sorts of eletrical problems as obviously he got tired ot the problems and traded them in on the Ford truck.
100K IS just breaking in! I know you say your taking after your father the way he did thigns, but your not testing them out yourself to prove to yourself how long they last. You keep telling me they won't last, but you have yet to try it out. I'd never buy forign myself as I think they are junk and made of very cheep plastics, but I'm not going to argue with you on this topic. I'll I'm saying if you have to do your homework and look at the big picture. My Ford cars and trucks have lasted to 300K, this Mountaineer I have will easily go that Long as well. Read the fourms, go into used car dealers, look at the miles, go on the internet and search for used ford cars and trucks. You will be surprised on how many have above 200K on them and still have a big price tag on them. Like I said, do your homework.

02mountaineerv8 said:
ha! I have a freind who used to drive an 02 Honda Civic and an 96 Camry. Needless to say, what do you think he's driving now? I'll tell ya, he traded in the Honda and the Toyota and got himself a new 05 FORD F-150 Supercrew. The Honda always had engine problems which wasn't covered inder warrnety since he was out of the coverage miles. The Toyota had all sorts of eletrical problems as obviously he got tired ot the problems and traded them in on the Ford truck.
100K IS just breaking in! I know you say your taking after your father the way he did thigns, but your not testing them out yourself to prove to yourself how long they last. You keep telling me they won't last, but you have yet to try it out. I'd never buy forign myself as I think they are junk and made of very cheep plastics, but I'm not going to argue with you on this topic. I'll I'm saying if you have to do your homework and look at the big picture. My Ford cars and trucks have lasted to 300K, this Mountaineer I have will easily go that Long as well. Read the fourms, go into used car dealers, look at the miles, go on the internet and search for used ford cars and trucks. You will be surprised on how many have above 200K on them and still have a big price tag on them. Like I said, do your homework.

im not basing this on just my father. the owner of the ford dealership i buy my vehicles from even admitted that fords dont last long. more recently theyre making them so theyll last longer because the foreign cars are going on 2-3 times longer than domestic ones. the big three is FINALLY realizing that they have competition besides themselves, and theyre making their vehicles last slightly longer. when they had their little conglomerate they could do what they wanted to. all that im saying is that domestic cars no longer have the edge. cars arent meant to be driven that long. they get old and sh!tty. deisel trucks on the other hand are meant to last a good 500k, and 100k miles IS their break in period. just get your **** straight. foreign cars are taking over, and domestic brands need to step it up.

pimp03explorer said:
im not basing this on just my father. the owner of the ford dealership i buy my vehicles from even admitted that fords dont last long. more recently theyre making them so theyll last longer because the foreign cars are going on 2-3 times longer than domestic ones. the big three is FINALLY realizing that they have competition besides themselves, and theyre making their vehicles last slightly longer. when they had their little conglomerate they could do what they wanted to. all that im saying is that domestic cars no longer have the edge. cars arent meant to be driven that long. they get old and sh!tty. deisel trucks on the other hand are meant to last a good 500k, and 100k miles IS their break in period. just get your **** straight. foreign cars are taking over, and domestic brands need to step it up.

what you are is just young as stupid. Also your lieing about an owner of a Ford dealership tellign you Fords don't last long. No way would any owner be a loud to say that to anyone even if that was the truth. If so, give me his number and I'd like for him to tell me that as well. What city and state is this dealer in, and the name of it?

You are so clueless and dumb its unreal. This will be my last post in this thread as I'm not wasting my time with Stupidity and lies.

I'll be waiting for information though on the where about's of this Ford dealer, the name of it. From there I can get the number.

02mountaineerv8 said:
what you are is just young as stupid. Also your lieing about an owner of a Ford dealership tellign you Fords don't last long. No way would any owner be a loud to say that to anyone even if that was the truth. If so, give me his number and I'd like for him to tell me that as well. What city and stae is this dealer in, and the name of it?

You are so clueless and dumb its unreal. This will be my last post in this thread as I'm not wasting my time with Stupidity and lies.

I'll be waiting for information though on the where about's of this Ford dealer, the name of it. From there I can get the number.

no, not "young as stupid". im just more educated than you on this matter. no, im not lieing about the owner telling us that. hes a good friend of the family. my dad has been buying from him for 20 years now. he is in cuyahoga falls, ohio. its called spitzer ford. his name is al spitzer. give him a call.

youre in denial. what you claim to be stupidity and lies is actually prooven truth. i find it strange that you cant refute my comments by other means than referring to your own personal experiences.

get the number and give them a call. 20 bucks says you wont call. hope to hear back from you...

pimp03explorer said:
no, not "young as stupid". im just more educated than you on this matter. no, im not lieing about the owner telling us that. hes a good friend of the family. my dad has been buying from him for 20 years now. he is in cuyahoga falls, ohio. its called spitzer ford. his name is al spitzer. give him a call.

youre in denial. what you claim to be stupidity and lies is actually prooven truth. i find it strange that you cant refute my comments by other means than referring to your own personal experiences.

get the number and give them a call. 20 bucks says you wont call. hope to hear back from you...

Al Spitzer Ford (7.43 miles away)
3737 State Rd
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
PH: (330) 929-1904
FX: (330) 929-6211

the dealer is just 7 miles away from me as you can see. not only will I call in, but I will make a visit with them.

02mountaineerv8 said:
Al Spitzer Ford (7.43 miles away)
3737 State Rd
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
PH: (330) 929-1904
FX: (330) 929-6211

the dealer is just 7 miles away from me as you can see. not only will I call in, but I will make a visit with them.

more power to you my friend. i do believe that its more than 7 miles buddy. its about 10 from me, so add on another 30 from you. you listed yourself as living in cleveland, so thats about 35-40 miles away.

The spelling and punctuation on this site is really going downhill!

I'm a Brit living north of the 49th...but will only buy American. I want to support both flags. Feel good that the money that I spend on a truck isn't being channelled to set up a duck feather factory in Hong Kong.

Nice to hear, cloud9, where exactly are you and why? Must be cold.

Back