1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2003 4.0 Odd Fast Crank No-Start

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jonboyb, November 14, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jonboyb

jonboyb New Member

City, State:
      Alpharetta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Mounty 4.0 2wd Base
      IT did this once about 6 months ago and again tonight. After sitting till not quite cold, turn the key and noticeably faster cranking with hit and die, then crank the second time but still faster cranking speed than normal. After that all back to normal. Sounds kinda like when you hold the throttle open to kill ignition and build oil pressure. Searched without luck, but letting it cool down now so I can see what it does. Was fine at various stops around town. With the throttle body grime issues I wonder if that's it, but can understand since it was idled down when turned off....how could it stick open??? Any help is appreciated!

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. WaterBrat

WaterBrat Member

City, State:
      Tulum, MX Originally Austin, Tx
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 Explorer EB V8 4WD
      Just a guess about an experience on my 05 V8, Try the key to ON for 3-5 seconds then crank. My solinoid was possibly drawing so much current that I had to do this for several days before started finally died with no crank. Replaced with a known good used starter and works fine. Started by acting like a no fuel pressure problem with normal crank.