2003 Eddie Bauer door lock issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Eddie Bauer door lock issues.

toto2010

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer.
Last night the door locks quit working. No switch on any door will operate the locks. The drivers seat will not move, but the passenger side does. I check the fuse, they are fine. When you exit the vehicle, all power should turn off. however, it does not. After I open the door, the radio continues to play, the windows continue to work. This is with the engine off and the key removed.
The power will not shutdown for about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Do you see the interior light turn on & off when the door is opened, then closed? Do you see a door ajar light? Does the alarm work properly?

A lot of electrical issues can be related to broken/damaged wires in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I, along with several members, have resolved electrical issues by repairing the wire(s). It could also be an issue with the "door ajar" switch. If you do a search for door ajar you will find a bunch of threads.

In the meantime:

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Once the door panel is removed you can use this great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out. :salute:

Thank you for the reply. The door ajar light does not come on. The alarm does not work at all. After exiting the vehicle, the radio continues to play and the windows continue to work just as if I have never opened the door. How would the door ajar cause the drivers seat not to work?

My wife drives this car and has the seat moved so far forward that I can barely get into the vehicle. I am 6'4" and with the seat unable to move, I just cant drive the car.

I am wondering if this is something to do with the key switch? Why would the car think the door has never been opened? Why would the driver seat not work along with the door locks?

My wife works in the most dangerous part of the city and unfortunately, we cannot lock the doors when she parks the car. Do you have any recommendations on someone in the area that could help me resolve this issue? The dealer is not an option. I took it to them one time to get a key made and it ended up being a 4 hour ordeal. They locked themselves out and could not get the car unlocked. Thats been a few years ago and I have never went back to them.

I would check for broken/damaged wires. The links I posted above provide excellent info. :salute:

Anyone find a resolution yet?

I've been fighting with the same issue for almost three months -- door locks don't work, driver's power seat doesn't work, radio stays on with truck off, autolamps don't work, unable to open rear hatch window. Computer shows autolamp delay data error and auto locks data error. Wires and fuses appear fine. Any help would be appreciated.

@shusaka and @toto2010 - Did ever ever find the cause of this issue?? I have the EXACT same problem. . . I have searched the net all over and have found a few with the same issue, but none with a resolution or a cause. . .

@shusaka and @toto2010 - Did ever ever find the cause of this issue?? I have the EXACT same problem. . . I have searched the net all over and have found a few with the same issue, but none with a resolution or a cause. . .

Welcome to the forum! :salute:

As I previously posted:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, etc.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Hey sugarbear1386,
My entire problem was caused by a dead fuse. I replaced the door lock fuse and everything started working again. I had to pay another guy to find it because when I looked at the fuses, they all looked fine to me and I thought it was an electrical issue.
Hope this helps you.

Thank You @BigRondo. I Haven't Been Able To Find Any Wire Issues As Of Yet. Also, My Door Ajar Light Doesn't Come On And The alarm Doesn't Work. . . And @Toto2010 Thank You! I Looked At The Fuse And It Seemed Fine, But I Will Replace It anyway And Hopefully That Will Solve My Issue Too! I Will Update If It Does help.

Thank You @BigRondo. I Haven't Been Able To Find Any Wire Issues As Of Yet. Also, My Door Ajar Light Doesn't Come On And The alarm Doesn't Work. . . And @Toto2010 Thank You! I Looked At The Fuse And It Seemed Fine, But I Will Replace It anyway And Hopefully That Will Solve My Issue Too! I Will Update If It Does help.

You're welcome. ;) Keep us updated!!

Hey sugarbear1386,
My entire problem was caused by a dead fuse. I replaced the door lock fuse and everything started working again. I had to pay another guy to find it because when I looked at the fuses, they all looked fine to me and I thought it was an electrical issue.
Hope this helps you.

Glad you got it working the easy way.

However, not wanting to rain on your parade, but I recommend that you (1) carry a spare fuse (or three), and (2) refer to Big Rondo's thoughts on damaged wiring in the door to door jamb interface area, and maybe include a look at the door open/shut contact switch at the back of the door jamb. With luck, hopefully you can put this off for a long while; however, this problem is common with Explorers.

The question goes to "why did my (your) fuse blow?" This often leads back into the loop of checking out the aforementioned wiring, as getting high currents from a hot sire to your body ground can blow a fuse-able link.

Whatever you do, do not (duh) put in a higher current fuse, as this can lead to more current, heat, and chance of fire in your wiring bundle before the fuse bows.

Power Options Problem

Had the same problem, and after the 3rd trip to the dealership, almost $800.00 later, a 2 door sensors and 2 fuses replaced, they finally found the problem. After removing the drivers seat, they found that the track for the power seat has a sharp edge which over the years has been slowly cutting in to the wiring harness under there with every move of the seat. Shorted the wire which controls all the power equipment everyone is talking about. Fixed the wire , repositioned the harness, problem solved. Hope that helps .

quick question, which was the fuse for the locks, i have an 03 with a similar issue

which was the fuse for the locks

I realize this question is nearly 2 years old now, but this forum post is one of the top Google search results, so it only seems right to provide an answer.

The door locks share a circuit with the door ajar switch, driver's seat motor, and pedal movers (if you have them). That circuit's fuse is located above where the driver's left foot would be, fuse number 20. On mine, it's a 30 amp fuse.

Back