2003 Explorer Only Vents + Floor; No Defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Only Vents + Floor; No Defrost

phil12357

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have seen numerous threads/posts about people that are only getting air through their defrost. It sounds like that has to do with a vacuum leak. I am having the opposite problem where I get my vents and floor air fine, but nothing is coming out of my defrost. Apparently in the state of Virginia, that means your car does not pass inspection.

The garage said it was 'a busted flap' which agrees a bit with it not being a vaccuum leak or similar issue. Because of needing to remove the dash, and apparently the possibility that my AC would need to get recharged (?) they wanted 1000-1400 to replace this flap.

If anyone has insight into an issue like this and if it could be repaired with any shortcuts that prevent me from taking about the entire dash, it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heater box problem

Ok, I guess I could have gone into more detail on the what they said at the garage to avoid that response. They said it's a flap on the heater box that is busted. They would probably be able to fix it without having to replace the entire heater box, but because they have to disassemble the entire dash the labor was going to push the job up over $1K.

I tried searching the forums for any threads on replacing/repairing the heater box to see if there is any hope to diagnose/repair the piece that is broken without that much trouble, but couldn't find anything.

Ok, I'm making some progress searching on various sites:

The issue I am having is with the Vent Door (an obvious enough name). I'm not sure if it is an issue with the Vent Door Actuator or with the Door/Lever itself. But if the mechanic's description is to be believed at all, and comparing my symptoms to everything I've read online, the problem should be there.

Does anyone have a good thread or advice on replacing any/all of these pieces so I can determine if I can handle it or if it is above my pay grade? Even having found the name of the parts that are faulty, every search I've tried to do either gets tangled up with Blend Door issues or with people having the opposite problem (only defrost).

Thanks!

phil12357:

I was driving home this evening with light snow in Pa. and bang I realized the windshield was getting foggy. I activated the defrost and was blown to the back seat by all the vent air I got...Needless to say I came home and joined Explorerforum to see what I had just been gifted. Your description of the cost estimate has given me a massive headache....It is supposed to remain cold here for days as winter is just setting in. My mechanic does not usually take new work on Fridays..so I am all dun in til Monday. Hope your estimate was way too high and your Ford is fixed.... I LUV MY FORD!!!

MADDOG.45

Howdy! My answer may help you! My '94 Explorer(mazda) had problem with blend doors not working. My mechanic had cheap fix. If you can pull down glove box,(mine has a step down, then opens lower) open it and see if you can locate blend doors. They are only made out of plastic-linkage/flaps and all. The "hinges" fail to switch doors to "right" position. That's why you have cold air when you want hot. I was able to insert a zip-tie into the linkage(after I figured out which side blew what) and ZIP-TIED them to the correct side for AC/heat. Problem is, you have to switch directions at end of a season. Good thing, NO PULLING the dash /cheap. It would help if someone can help you locate them. I don't have much defrost-:( , but I have HVAC ! Maybe real different on newer models, but should be something similar you can do. Mine didn't go till I hit 260-270,000 miles though. Good luck and thanks for all the advice you offer! Found out I had bad transmission modulator from you guys and was able to get it fixed. CARRY ON!

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem (along with the clicking sound in the back) but I get air coming from the vents and not from the defrost. I was told there is something under the passenger side in the floor board area that need to be fixed. If that's true, I wish someone would answer this question correctly! I need help.

Back