2003 Explorer Replacement Steering Wheel / Audio Controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Replacement Steering Wheel / Audio Controls

clspruiell

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I just bought an older 2003 Explorer and I want to fix it up to "today's" standards.

I am about to buy a Clarion NX702 in dash navigation / satellite radio / etc etc.

Well this unit does not have a volume knob that I really like. So I would like to connect it to steering wheel controls. HOWVER, my explorer does NOT currently have steering wheel controls.

So what are my options as far as replacing the steering wheel with one with controls?

Thanks!

There is alot more to it than just a steering wheel. you ned a new clockspring, wiring from both sides of the clockspring.

then on top of that you need the adapter he said.

IMO its not worth the hassle and time.

he might get lucky, usually the radio/cruise is resistive based there is only a couple of wires it all plugs into, with an '03 it runs to the BCM. In adding OEM stuff, usually the wiring is there. To be 100% you need to check the harness under the airbag, you should find the plugs, one of which is unused. There are safety instructions on removing the airbag. . . .i'd read them. Typically the new wheel should just plug in, after that on the other side of the clock-spring is where you wire the aftermarket radio controls, not sure.

This is for a 4th Gen, not your but it should give you an idea. Search the '02-'05 forum, someone may have already done it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167862

Back