2003 ford explorer, clicking noise when heater is on | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer, clicking noise when heater is on

i have a 2003 ford explorer it has a ticking sound in it but its been there from day 1 any ideals i have replaced the blend doors so its not the heat its under the hood any i deals it doesnt smoke skip or slip helpp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2004 Explorer XLT. When i Turn the temperature guage up (hot) it starts making a loud clicking noise also no heat. Is this the actuator motor or the blend door??

i have a 2004 Explorer XLT. When i Turn the temperature guage up (hot) it starts making a loud clicking noise also no heat. Is this the actuator motor or the blend door??

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

That sounds like it's the blend door actuator. Here is the write-up for replacing it: How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

Good luck with the fix! :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

i did my wife's like 6 months ago but i just took out the stereo and the plastic surrounding it to include the vents, it was kinda a pia but so is the way the write up explains but less removal of items. depending on the tool selection that is. the motor wasnt that expensive either. best of luck to you. btw if you try it my way you will see it on the driver side if you look under the dash (take the plastic kick panel off and i think i removed the center console as well but it took alot of maneuvering.

Well how about the rear blend door where is it and how hard is it to replace.

I just recently picked up a 2001 explorer sport trac (3rd explorer i've owned) and the blower motor resistor is out (i only know this because on power 1 a little air comes out, on power 4 it blows crazy, any where in between doesnt blow).

But when on power 4 it does a really nasty thumping noise (almost like if you were to put a piece of cardboard into a fan blade and let it lightly slap the blade).

Any idea what that would be?

Also, forgot to mention that when on ac it blows cold air, and when on heat it blows hot. So its not the blend door?

I just recently picked up a 2001 explorer sport trac (3rd explorer i've owned) and the blower motor resistor is out (i only know this because on power 1 a little air comes out, on power 4 it blows crazy, any where in between doesnt blow).

But when on power 4 it does a really nasty thumping noise (almost like if you were to put a piece of cardboard into a fan blade and let it lightly slap the blade).

Any idea what that would be?

Also, forgot to mention that when on ac it blows cold air, and when on heat it blows hot. So its not the blend door?

That does seem like the resistor is bad. As far as the noise, it could be cardboard, bearings, faulty fan, etc.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Sport Tracs. Your Ex is covered in the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac Sub Forum. Click here to go there now!

Good luck and happy Exploring!! :biggthump

Thanks BR, i was going to ask over there, just hate starting new thread if the topics been covered. I searched and found this thread.

Also, thanks for your services man! Salute

Thanks BR, i was going to ask over there, just hate starting new thread if the topics been covered. I searched and found this thread.

Also, thanks for your services man! Salute

No worries. And you are welcome! :salute:

Funny. A few months ago I was changing the temp from cold to hot and got the ticking noise of death. So I turned the fan up to 4 to check if I was getting warm air and the ticking stopped and it was blowing warm air so I left it alone.

The other day, I tried it again and it did the same thing. I turned the fan to 4 and it stopped and everything behaved normally.

I'm not fixing this until it's REALLY broken.

Funny. A few months ago I was changing the temp from cold to hot and got the ticking noise of death. So I turned the fan up to 4 to check if I was getting warm air and the ticking stopped and it was blowing warm air so I left it alone.

The other day, I tried it again and it did the same thing. I turned the fan to 4 and it stopped and everything behaved normally.

I'm not fixing this until it's REALLY broken.

At least there is a good how to! :p:

Same thing happened to me. I figure that the fan was blowing the blend door closed. This worked for a while and then it stopped doing it.

Thanks Rhondo. I kinda' figured that's what was happening so I don't move the temp control unless I have to.

I'll use your write up to change this out before the weather starts turning cold.

Now I have the rear actuator making the infamous clicking noise. I'm going to have to replace that before the weather gets bad.

I haven't been able to find a write-up on replacing the rear actuator, so you know what that means! :D

Thanks Bid Rondo for the great pics and all the info. I made that small cut out and it made all the difference in the world. I wasnt sure if it was the actuatot motor or blend door. I started it then put a little pressure with my fingers in the shaft while turning the knob up. Sure enough it started clicking. its taken me days to do this because I've been working 10-11 hrs a day. Doesnt leave much time for wrenching! your pictures and step by step made it much easier.

I meant to spell Big (sorry) also thanks for your service to our country

Thanks Bid Rondo for the great pics and all the info. I made that small cut out and it made all the difference in the world. I wasnt sure if it was the actuatot motor or blend door. I started it then put a little pressure with my fingers in the shaft while turning the knob up. Sure enough it started clicking. its taken me days to do this because I've been working 10-11 hrs a day. Doesnt leave much time for wrenching! your pictures and step by step made it much easier.

I meant to spell Big (sorry) also thanks for your service to our country

You're Welcome!!

Nice job on the repair. It's good to go when things work out! :D:thumbsup:

Last night while driving home my heater starting clicking in the dash it stoped when i turned it all the way. I have a 2003 ford explorer does anyone have any idea what this could be its been cold out and i have a small child i need heat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last night while driving home my heater starting clicking in the dash it stoped when i turned it all the way. I have a 2003 ford explorer does anyone have any idea what this could be its been cold out and i have a small child i need heat.

It definitely seems to be the Blend Door Actuator. Follow the link that grabill68 posted.

It's not that bad of a job. I highly recommend getting the replacement part at a Ford dealer as others have had issues with aftermarket parts.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back