Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2003 Ford Ranger - Door Lock Cylinder

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by PotatoExplorer, December 5, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. PotatoExplorer

PotatoExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Carlisle, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2008 Ford Explorer Ltd.
      Hi guys!

So I go out to my truck this morning to head to work and someone took the joy of trying to jimmy my lock at some point since I got home yesterday around 5:15PM. The whole lock cylinder is completely FUBAR and now I can't insert my key to lock/unlock the door. Good news is that it seems extremely easy to replace the door lock cylinder and it seems like they are fairly cheap - like $25ish? I got a few questions though if anyone is familiar with this area...

1 - How do I get a new lock cylinder to use my already existing key? I'm guessing I need a locksmith to repin the cylinder and this is something I can't do myself? I've never had to do this before, how much should I expect to pay for this service??

2 - In the time being, is it possible to take lock cylinder from the passenger side and flip it over to use for the driver side, or are they side specific? I have an "OK" headunit in there, which is probably the only thing worth value in the cab, but I have to leave the driver side door unlocked unless I want to crawl in on the passenger side to manually unlock the driver side door every time...

Thanks guys!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Don't know the answer, so here's a bump for your post