2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek.

MidnightRebel07's Sport Trac SAS, 351w Build on 37's

I've been talking for years about doing this and since the transmission is on it's way out enough to where I can't drive it a long distance, the fan clutch died (can't drive it without fan) I parked it.

I started tearing everything from the rear suspension to do the SOA. finished that yesterday (for the most part). Perches are tacked in (will finish welding them on with the Miller 252 at my custom truck clubs garage once I get everything mocked into place and a space opens up). Shocks are bolted into the top bolt hole for the sway bar (sway bar is removed). I cut the shock mounts off of the spring plates and will weld them onto the top of the axle later. I still need to get longer stainless braided hoses for the main rear brake line.

I now have the front jacked up sitting on jack stands so I can start cutting off the front suspension and engine crossmember. Hopefully if the weather permits this week for a couple hours in the mornings before work I can cut all that out.

I'll be starting a SAS, SOA, 351w, C6, 1356 manual transfer case thread sometime soon when I have time but for now I'll just add info here.

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks.

I've been limited on things I can do because I was injured at work two weeks ago. I was unloading dirty (not completely empty) 55 gallon steel drums off the back of the trailer from the ground (I drive a tractor trailer) when one from the top of the stack fell onto my left shoulder, neck and back (it hurt). I'm still working, I swap loaded trailers out in Milton, Pa., just can't really use my left arm.

Hopefully I can fabricate up an offroad (outside) welding cart for the new big welder and gas bottle this weekend so I can start fabricating my new front suspension. We'll see how things go.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Dang man sorry to hear about the injury.

Thanks.

I've been limited on things I can do because I was injured at work two weeks ago. I was unloading dirty (not completely empty) 55 gallon steel drums off the back of the trailer from the ground (I drive a tractor trailer) when one from the top of the stack fell onto my left shoulder, neck and back (it hurt). I'm still working, I swap loaded trailers out in Milton, Pa., just can't really use my left arm.

Hopefully I can fabricate up an offroad (outside) welding cart for the new big welder and gas bottle this weekend so I can start fabricating my new front suspension. We'll see how things go.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Thanks guys.

I spent the better portion of the day building a custom outdoor (offroad) welding cart for my new big welder. I should have it done by tomorrow and hopefully start fabricating and welding on the front suspension this week. I'll post pictures up as soon as I can get some more progress done.

It's not done yet, I'm going to add shelves, more hooks, a power bar and bigger swivel tires up front.

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Finally found some time and decent weather to do a little work on the front suspension today. Right now things are just bolted up loosely and tack welded into place to get a rough base line of where I want to put the axle (forward from stock to fit the 37's). It's sitting a bit higher than ride height because it's still sitting on the jack stands for support. I will definitely be removing the body lift to lower the height which means I'll have to redo the front and rear bumpers and the rock sliders. I might just sale all of them and build new custom bumpers and sliders. I won't be using the swing out tire carrier either.

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5973.jpg

Looks good! Good call on dropping the BL. I really wish I'd gotten rid of mine and now I just can't get time to take it out.

Looks good, I am still anxious to see that 351W in there.

Thanks guys.

I have a question for those who have done a SAS with leafs already. What pinion angle/ caster angle did you go with? My setup has the shackles on the rear.

Looks good. What leaf springs are you using?

Stock rear leaf packs in rear and Rancho 44044 GW lift springs in front.

Thanks guys.

I have a question for those who have done a SAS with leafs already. What pinion angle/ caster angle did you go with? My setup has the shackles on the rear.

What do you want me to base my angle measurement off of? I don't know what it is but I can measure it. Also I think you'll have to send chad a PM since he's not on much anymore after selling his.

I just need to know what degree angle people have used to set the pinion angle? I know most go with a 5-7 degree caster angle but was curious what pinion was set at? You can use a magnetic degree tool to find out what angle your pinion is set at.

Finally got some work done yesterday and I think I solved the shackle angle issue. I had the perches set too far forward so when I set the truck done on it's on weight the shackles would collapse down to the body mount. I cut them off and made my own outriggers from flat steel (notched and bent). Then I moved the perches back to the body mounts (about 3/4" back), set the shackles at 90 degrees unspring then lowered the truck down and ended up with a 42 degree shackle angle. I'm using the 4" shackles provided with the Sky Fab S-10 SAS kit but I'm ordering a set of boomerang shackles to get a better ride and angle.

Right now The truck is sitting at ride height on it's own weight. I'm switching to the boomerang shackles also because I'll be adding quite a bit of weight from the 351w, C6 and manual t-case.

Here's a couple pictures of the shackles, perches and truck as it sits now. The leafsprings still need to settle alittle, I've been rocking the truck back and fourth to help that along so I can get an idea of true ride height. Please excuse the welds, first welds with the new big welder and I'm working outside so I still need to fine tune the gas flow (for winds), wire speed and power.

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

Finally got some work done yesterday and I think I solved the shackle angle issue. I had the perches set too far forward so when I set the truck done on it's on weight the shackles would collapse down to the body mount. I cut them off and made my own outriggers from flat steel (notched and bent). Then I moved the perches back to the body mounts (about 3/4" back), set the shackles at 90 degrees unspring then lowered the truck down and ended up with a 42 degree shackle angle. I'm using the 4" shackles provided with the Sky Fab S-10 SAS kit but I'm ordering a set of boomerang shackles to get a better ride and angle.

Right now The truck is sitting at ride height on it's own weight. I'm switching to the boomerang shackles also because I'll be adding quite a bit of weight from the 351w, C6 and manual t-case.

Here's a couple pictures of the shackles, perches and truck as it sits now. The leafsprings still need to settle alittle, I've been rocking the truck back and fourth to help that along so I can get an idea of true ride height. Please excuse the welds, first welds with the new big welder and I'm working outside so I still need to fine tune the gas flow (for winds), wire speed and power.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6120.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6125.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6133.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6134.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6135.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6132.jpg.html

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/MidnightRebel07/media/SAS-SOA/IMG_6131.jpg.html

Sweet!

Holy awesome rig Batman. When you're done we need a comparison next to a stock Trac :) Looks great man. I'll be watching eagerly.

I had a couple buddy's come over yesterday to help me move my truck over on the other side of the driveway since I can't really work on it until spring. It was definitely more work than any of us anticipated. The truck doesn't have steering or brakes right now but it does run and drive. The driveway isn't flat either which made it that much more fun. Needless to say two of my buddy's were worn out from turning the 37's by hand on gravel and grass.

IMG_6398.jpg

Once the truck was in place I noticed that my shackles on the front axle were flat and sitting on the jack mount on the frame. After doing a couple more hours of searching the web for answers for how to setup the distance between the front cross member and the rear shackles I finally found the answer over on the S-10 forum SAS section. I knew I'd likely find the answers there since the Sky Fab SAS kit I'm using is made for an S-10. I found a guy that was using the same springs and kit I am so I knew the measurements would be right.

IMG_6397.jpg

Right now the distance between the front cross member to the rear perches is 43" and it should be 45", this explains the extreme shackle angle and the reason why they flattened out after the truck was moved around.

Since I already have the rear perches welded in 90 percent of the way and only one short bead on front cross member I'm going to cut off some of the front cross brace I added when I did the front bumper. I need to cut off 2" from the 4"x4"x3/8" angle iron brace to move the front cross member forward. This is actually kind of a good thing because I needed to move the axle forward a couple more inches anyway. The 37's will go up into the fenders if I leave the axle where it is now.

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

Just seeing if y'all are still awake out there.

Sorry, no updates to speak of yet, it's -0 degrees outside and I'm still not cleared by the doctor to do much yet. Spring is just around the corner though, wishful thinking. LOL

Just seeing if y'all are still awake out there.

Sorry, no updates to speak of yet, it's -0 degrees outside and I'm still not cleared by the doctor to do much yet. Spring is just around the corner though, wishful thinking. LOL

Quietly stewing in jealousy. Use the downtime for recovery.

Can't blame you. Windchill was in the mid teens here and I don't want to even be outside.

Back