2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek.

MidnightRebel07's Sport Trac SAS, 351w Build on 37's

I've been talking for years about doing this and since the transmission is on it's way out enough to where I can't drive it a long distance, the fan clutch died (can't drive it without fan) I parked it.

I started tearing everything from the rear suspension to do the SOA. finished that yesterday (for the most part). Perches are tacked in (will finish welding them on with the Miller 252 at my custom truck clubs garage once I get everything mocked into place and a space opens up). Shocks are bolted into the top bolt hole for the sway bar (sway bar is removed). I cut the shock mounts off of the spring plates and will weld them onto the top of the axle later. I still need to get longer stainless braided hoses for the main rear brake line.

I now have the front jacked up sitting on jack stands so I can start cutting off the front suspension and engine crossmember. Hopefully if the weather permits this week for a couple hours in the mornings before work I can cut all that out.

I'll be starting a SAS, SOA, 351w, C6, 1356 manual transfer case thread sometime soon when I have time but for now I'll just add info here.

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Taking it easy but my PT says I need to start doing everyday normal activities (to an extant) that did before the accident to strengthen the muscles and stretch them out as well as work the neck to strengthen it too. I'm not pushing it by any means but I do need to get better faster and this is the way they said to do it.

Cut the crossmember back 2".
IMG_8194.jpg

Used the straps to pull the axle forward and to the side.
IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

This is what I'll be doing to the bottom of my bumper to hide the cross member and try and stay road legal with bumper height laws.
DSC0804b2.jpg

I know that all too well. I had a complete shoulder reconstruction in 2004. They know what they're talking about. Took me about a year to be comfortable again. Still get some fatigue working over my head but I'm good.

Keep at it. Working on your truck will do more than help your physical recovery. Some of that crazy might start to go away.;)

Edit: You got the pictures posted while I was typing. Nice. That will be low enough for the bumper height law? Still looks to me like you're gonna be way up there. Of course, I don't know your laws, either. And does it still count if the "bumper" is a welded steel tube just as damaging to other vehicles as the frame would have been? LOL

I know that all too well. I had a complete shoulder reconstruction in 2004. They know what they're talking about. Took me about a year to be comfortable again. Still get some fatigue working over my head but I'm good.

Keep at it. Working on your truck will do more than help your physical recovery. Some of that crazy might start to go away.;)

Edit: You got the pictures posted while I was typing. Nice. That will be low enough for the bumper height law? Still looks to me like you're gonna be way up there. Of course, I don't know your laws, either. And does it still count if the "bumper" is a welded steel tube just as damaging to other vehicles as the frame would have been? LOL

Well bumper laws are just so you don't monster truck someones civic anyway ;)

Glad to see you underway Jerry. It's looking awesome. Can't wait to see its finished glory.

Since I can't work on my truck right now I can still paint the wheels Cammo Sand like they originally were when they came off the Military H1 Humvee. Not sure if I'll keep them this color or change them to a different color, just wanted to see what they'd look like with the trail worthy fab 6 bolt centers in this color. I may just go back to army green and black. The whole truck will be painted this color soon, it'll have riveted panels and military themed tributes airbrushed on the tailgate and hood.

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

i think that camo sand looks good - i saw they make the same color in the rustoleum bedliner spray stuff i use on basically everything - might have to pick some up for little bits and pieces.

Cool, good to know.

"Battle Born" started getting his war paint on. Only had 4 cans so I started the base coat.

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8804.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

Thanks. I'm looking for a job so hopefully I can get back on track, pay bills, support my family and start working on the truck again.

Looks pretty sweet. If you close in the bed where the sport bar is it'll really look like a Humvee.

Speaking of humvees, anyone see the latest news? I may be buying one in the next year. The market may become flooded in the next few months.

Sorry for the diversion.

Everyone keeps asking me how much lift I have on my ST. I had no idea so I went and took some measurements and this s what I came up with.

I just went and measured mine and the lowest part of the frame is 24" off the ground, stock ground clearance is 6.7" so I guess I have 17.25" total lift over stock. Stock over height of a ST is 70.4", my roof rack bars are at 87.25" so I guess the math adds upto 14" suspension lift with tires and then 3" bodylift. I could be wrong, I'm dead tired right now so who knows. LOL

Well no build updates to post but I am back to work so hopefully I can get the bills back on track and then I can get back to this build.

Good to hear you're back at it.

That's good news looking forward to seeing that V8 5.8 swap.

that bumper idea you posted is awesome!!!
that little enclosure you have your truck sitting in where did you find that and how much was it? i want to do the same thing as once i start on my truck itll be like a 6 months plus project and want to keep it out of the elements as much as possible!

The enclosure is a Shelter Logic garage in a box, it's 12'x20'x8' and runs about $500+ online.

There's a guy on CL close to me selling the same enclosure for $250, it's only two weeks old.

Back