2004: Bed Accessories ?

Town Car

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
Morning all... :)

I've just noticed there's some odd mounting holes in the sides of the bed. Of course I don't have any accessories back there and was curious what might be missing from the bed?

I know some other sport type trucks have some type of load barriers back there made of aluminum tubing and plastics, is this what the holes are for?

Thanks guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they are back by the tailgate then they are for your non-existent bed extender. If you mean the small screw holes in the middle sides of the bed, then those are for a tonneau cover, either factory or aftermarket.

If they are back by the tailgate then they are for your non-existent bed extender. If you mean the small screw holes in the middle sides of the bed, then those are for a tonneau cover, either factory or aftermarket.

Yeah, I only noticed holes in the center of the bed on the walls, I didn't notice any near the tailgate.. not to say they aren't there...

Thanks allot :)

Bed extender out.
341353_128_full.jpg

The screw holes for the tonneau rail clamps were already there. I suppose they are used for the factory hard tonneau.

Bed extender removed.
341353_129_full.jpg

It clamps and pivots on the center catch there, the holes above and below are to lock it in or out. The two larger holes in the middle of the bedside above the wheelwell are for the center divider that comes with the factory hard tonneau. Very often I need the bed open (note scratches) so I did not want the factory unit.

I bought these handy-dandy bed extender holder-uppers on eBay from a member of www.mysporttrac.com who was manufacturing them at his machine shop. They ARE NOT made any more.
341353_130_full.jpg

In the likely event that I do not buy my Trac when the lease is up next year, they will be for sale along with the tonneau, Hidden Hitch, lift shackles, and chromed tow hooks. :D

Bed extender up.
341353_131_full.jpg

You cannot close the tailgate, but it's handy for sliding stuff in and out.

Tonneau. That's a greyhound sticker on the back window, we have an ex-racer as a pet.
341353_123_full.jpg

The FX4 stickers are sort of real because I've effectively built the FX4 Sport Trac that Ford never did. Limited-slip, bigger and better tires, better shocks, fuel tank skidplate, and the all-important chrome tow hooks. :p:

Now that's cool! Did some of that stuff come with the truck?

The two holes above the wheel wells are for the cover? What goes there some sort of pressurized lifter?

Now that's cool! Did some of that stuff come with the truck?
Only the limited-slip axle. Brand-new and I lifted it and put on bigger tires the first week I had it. :D
DCP_0052.JPG

The two holes above the wheel wells are for the cover? What goes there some sort of pressurized lifter?

No, those holes there are for the divider. The factory hard tonneau will open from the front or rear. The divider is removable and fits under the tonneau, has spring-loaded thingys that fit into those holes to hold it in place.
I don't recall if the factory hard tonneau has struts to lift it. I looked at a Trac that had it but again, mine gets used as a truck and the hard tonneau is too much hassle for me to take off as often as I need the bed open. Also I purposely got a base XLT because I did not want step bars. The Ranger I had before had them and they were mostly good only for getting my pants dirty in the winter. My wife isn't so short that she has a problem getting in.

Johnstone is still The Man but I'm pretty certifiable myself.
PoseRock2.jpg

SThill2.jpg

Gotcha...
Dang straight I've learned tons about these accessories (mostly missing here) in the past 24 hours.

Thanks for taking your time out for all this :)
I really appreciate it
:chug:

Back