Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 Explorer Remote Start

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by John Colantuono, January 7, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. John Colantuono

John Colantuono New Member

City, State:
      Staten Island, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004, Explorer XLT
      Hi all,

Just purchased a used 2004 Explorer and while changing the Flasher relay I noticed that the vehicle has a remote start but I don’t have the key fob and only one key. Is there any chance I can’t test to see if the remote start works?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. matt_k

matt_k New Member

2002 XLT 4.0L 4x4 D4
      Without the fob, I doubt it.

I installed a remote start on my '02 XLT. I only had one key at the time. Fortunately I found a shop nearby which only charged $25 for programming. I called around to a bunch of lock smiths, they all wanted $150+.

I've since purchased a scan tool which can program. Has come in handy programming oem remote start in my van, and new smart key.

You may want to get another key just in case, even if you're not planning on dealing with the remote start. Ebay has keys for cheap, I think mine cost $8 about 3 years ago. Then $2 to cut. So I was all in at $35. Having the spare is peace of mind.

Matt

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. John Colantuono

John Colantuono New Member

City, State:
      Staten Island, NY
      2004, Explorer XLT
      Ok, made a second program key and found one remote. New issue, when I try to remote start it the horn beeps once and everything looks like its going to start but the engine doesnt turn. If I keep a key in the ignition i can get it to remote start.
      Anyone have an idea of what i should try next?
      My bypass module has 1L2Z-19G365-AB on the top

5. h82loseejr

h82loseejr New Member

City, State:
      Pleasantville
      05 Explorer XLS
      Yeah it is 1 of 2 things..Either the "key in ignition" circuit is not getting powered by the remote start or the bypass module is not working right. try this. Hold the key sideways to the ignition do not insert the key into the slot but rather hold the plastic part where the key comes out close to the hole in the ignition if you know what im trying to say. And remote start that way. let me know if that works and we can go from there.