1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT wont start, engine turns over

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by xchecko, December 23, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. xchecko

xchecko New Member

City, State:
      staten island, ny
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer XLT
      hey guys,
      I tried starting my explorer a week back after football practice and it just wouldnt start, it cranks and cranks and cranks and I get nothing but an extremely strong smell of gas coming from the air filter.. I opened the air filter casing and i tried starting it again and since it was cold I could see the vaporized gas just coming out of the air filter as the engine keeps turning over.

Im not sure what to do at this point

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ronwc

ronwc Active Member

City, State:
      Largo, FL
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT
      start

Sounds like you're getting air and fuel, I would check spark, maybe coil pack.

4. xchecko

xchecko New Member

City, State:
      staten island, ny
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer XLT
      We changed the spark plugs and wires thinking that was it since the original plugs were flooded with gas. changed them out and nothing happened

5. xchecko

xchecko New Member

City, State:
      staten island, ny
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer XLT
      I now know what you meant by saying it was the coilpack, how would i check if thats the problem?