2004 Ford Explorer Cruise Control stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer Cruise Control stopped working

Lurch16th

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Cruise Control won't even turn on. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your abs light come on? There are known problems that cruise will quite if the abs light is triggered.

I have an 04 too. abs light on.
my cruise doesnt work.

I know its the abs pressure switch. its only a $20 part, but havnt done it yet.

hmmm, well the abs light had come on once in a while, would stay on for a few minutes. But next time i would drive it it would be off. Never noticed at what point the cruise control stopped working. So does this mean that any time the abs light comes on and the crusie control stops working, it needs the new pressure switch?

I guess i should guet this straight in my head. If the abs light goes on, eventually goes off and stays off, the cruise still won't work because of that switch? My abs light hasn't been on for weeks, but cruise still doesn't turn on, no indicator light or anything.
Does the cruise have a fuse somewhere that can blow?

Not sure .. .my abs light comes on daily...

Check the circuit break switch under the brake pedal. It may stick and CC thinks you are braking, therefore will not engage. At a stand still, press the brake pedal, then get out of the car and check if the brake lights are still on.

ok, just checked brake switch. foot on brake, brake lights on, Brake off, brake lights off.

Just installed a new pressure switch on the master cylinder and No Joy.

Very odd situation, but appears I fixed the Cruise control, by fixing something else.
Upon routine check and (a hunch)of air cleaner, I found the air cleaner housing, was stuffed about half full with a mouse nest. I cleaned out the nesting material and duct taped a piece of aluminum screen around the inlet hole in the chassis, behind the headlight.

Day before i pulled and checked All color-coded fuses inside and out, which may have cleared PCM memory.

End Result: Took the car on a errand trip and it appeared to be running rough and re-adjusting itself. On the return trip, the Cruise Control worked.

So possibly the stuffed air cleaner housing sent some false info to the MAF and it shut down the cruise control.

Then either pulling the fuses, or cleaning out the housing or both, caused the systems to reset or give proper data, allowing the cruise to work.

This is the 3rd or 4th time the rodents have done this to my vehicles. something to keep an eye out for.

thas all

Back