2004 NBX Exterior Lighting Woes!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 NBX Exterior Lighting Woes!!!!

ripster1

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer NBX
Ok let me start off with a Hi to everyone here! This is my first post I, but I'm always checking to forum for helpful info for any problems I have had with my NBX. And pretty much solved everything. This new problem has basically kicked my ass! So hopefully someone can give me some help to figure this out.

About two weeks ago I pull into work. With the truck still running and my headlights still in auto mode(very seldom do I take it out of auto mode) I get out to get my gear out of the back. I get back in to finish getting ready, I turn the ignition off and pull the key out. All of a sudden it start doing the rapid dinging as if I left the headlights on. Being that its always in Autolamp mode this caught my attention. So I put the key back in the ignition and turned the headlight switch to off position and it stopped.

I have a Avital remote start and when leaving work I tried starting the explorer from work. but the parking lights never flashed. So when I got to the truck I noticed it was running but my parking lights were not on. So I get in to check and I don't have any Headlights( Low and Highs) parking lights, taillights, fog lights in any switch setting. The turn signals and brake lights still work.

I get home to find fuses #16 and #22 in the power distribution box is blown. I try to replace them and both blow instantly. This is where to battle starts!!

First two things I replace is the Headlight switch and the Multifunction switch. Fuse #16 and #22 still blows instantly. So I start looking for shorts in wires and checking light bulbs everything that I can see and feel looks good. I check the drivers and passenger door wires for any breaks( had problems with broken wires in the past)in the wires. Then I find a inline fuse that was going to the upper brown wire on headlight switch was blown also. Replaced that and tried again and all three blow instantly. So then I was thinking it might be to remote start. So I gut the remote start and low and behold #16 and #22 did not blow!!!!

So now I'm a happy camper! I get in to check the lights I have low beam and high beams, parking lights and fog lights. But then I notice that I still don't have lows beams in auto lamp mode. And no matter what my right taillight(not brake light) always stays on. Even with the truck shut off! Checked all the wires from the dash to taillight and found nothing!!! Need some new ideas on what to check next that could be causing this taillight to stay on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So now I'm a happy camper! I get in to check the lights I have low beam and high beams, parking lights and fog lights. But then I notice that I still don't have lows beams in auto lamp mode. And no matter what my right taillight(not brake light) always stays on. Even with the truck shut off! Checked all the wires from the dash to taillight and found nothing!!! Need some new ideas on what to check next that could be causing this taillight to stay on.
@ripster1
Not sure about auto lamp, but that's the lesser problem for now. The tail light remaining on is a battery-drainer. So, checking how
the juice gets to that right rear tail lamp, Ford calls it a Park Lamp, revealed the power starts out at fuse 1.16 in the Battery Junction Box underhood. From there it goes two places: Main Light Switch and the Vehicle Security Module, which contains the Park Lamp Relay which when energized, feeds power directly to the right park lamp. At the same time, the Main Light Switch if turned to Park Lamps only, feeds power to 4 places: Function Selector Switch, Trailer Electronic Brake Module, Main Light Switch Micropriocessor, and finally, the right rear park lamp. For some reason the VSM with the Park Lamp Relay does not have any connection to FRONT park lamps at all, only REAR. So, if what I've said makes any sense, and Ford's official wiring diagrams are correct, I would lean towards the Vehicle Security Module. It also contains a relay which feeds the headlamps.

If you desire it, I will scan this material and post it. Sounds as though reading a schematic is well within your ability. imp

@ripster1
Not sure about auto lamp, but that's the lesser problem for now. The tail light remaining on is a battery-drainer. So, checking how
the juice gets to that right rear tail lamp, Ford calls it a Park Lamp, revealed the power starts out at fuse 1.16 in the Battery Junction Box underhood. From there it goes two places: Main Light Switch and the Vehicle Security Module, which contains the Park Lamp Relay which when energized, feeds power directly to the right park lamp. At the same time, the Main Light Switch if turned to Park Lamps only, feeds power to 4 places: Function Selector Switch, Trailer Electronic Brake Module, Main Light Switch Micropriocessor, and finally, the right rear park lamp. For some reason the VSM with the Park Lamp Relay does not have any connection to FRONT park lamps at all, only REAR. So, if what I've said makes any sense, and Ford's official wiring diagrams are correct, I would lean towards the Vehicle Security Module. It also contains a relay which feeds the headlamps.

If you desire it, I will scan this material and post it. Sounds as though reading a schematic is well within your ability. imp

Thanks for the reply Imp.

I do have a Chilton book with an exterior light diagram. But it sound like your diagram might be more detail. As for your idea on the vsm. I was looking for a location earlier because on my diagram its the only thing that bypasses the main switch. And the wire color is brown. Which was the blown wire for the remote start. If you get a chance can you upload a pic of your diagram. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply Imp.

I do have a Chilton book with an exterior light diagram. But it sound like your diagram might be more detail. As for your idea on the vsm. I was looking for a location earlier because on my diagram its the only thing that bypasses the main switch. And the wire color is brown. Which was the blown wire for the remote start. If you get a chance can you upload a pic of your diagram. Thank you!
@ripster1
Will try. Wife is demanding I go to bed! Aw, ****, ya can't win. You may have to hang on till morning. But check back in awhile, I'll get started. imp

@ripster1 Well, my fu#2ing scanner will not work. I apologize for this. The other printer I will have to figure out in the morning. I really want to get to the bottom of your problems, as I also have struggled with a 2004. Anything I can solve for others means I'll know what to do when mine goes the same way.

Regarding Chiltons: have never had good results with them, or any others not official Ford. They seem to be vague, and at the same time cover too much and too many models within their presentation. Ford Shop Manuals and Wiring Diagrams have been my savior many times over. get them at Helm.com. imp

No problem imp.
@ripster1
It's a problem, for me, when I can't deliver on a promise to someone. Am getting to be a cranky old man. Gone all day with wife (ya know how that is?) and then scan troubles again. Finally, here are the diagrams for Exterior Lighting. Note carefully how Ex and Mountie are both shown, separated by a little curlicue, hard to spot.
No idea how expensive a replacement Vehicle Security Module is, if that's the gremlin, but DO know at least for ABS Module, that the god-damned thing can throw it's own codes, up to and including shutting down the vehicle. So, I found out by looking for a replacement ABS Module; nobody like O'Reilly's, Auto-Zone, etc. sells them. Only Ford, and a few on-line guys who salvage from junkers. I bought a used one, solved my Forced Engine Idle problems thrown by the ABS Module, but the replacement must be "configured", meaning VIN downloaded into Module.. Only Dealers can do it (AFAIK, so far), so the ABS light is permanently on. Such BS may be the case with Security Module too (maybe especially that one, I dunno.
Wish I could tell you more. I would look into VSM replacement, but study the wiring, maybe you can see something I missed. There are many more pages of wiring inter-related, like VSM itself, Power Distribution showing each fuse and what it feeds, and Turn Signals and Headlights. If you think any of that might help you, give a holler. I got the scanner going, and am itching to do some *****ing!!

Good luck! imp

lights10.jpg

lights11.jpg

Thank imp! Big difference then the chilton diagrams. I haven't had a chance to get back in the garage yet. Hopefully I can get out there tomorrow.

20170225_163818.jpg
Well I started checking wires between the VSM and dash wires and found the problem. Right next to the passenger side front pillar. When I removed the remote start there was one purple wire that I could not find where it was going. Now I know! Thanks for your help imp!

20170225_163818.jpg
Well I started checking wires between the VSM and dash wires and found the problem. Right next to the passenger side front pillar. When I removed the remote start there was one purple wire that I could not find where it was going. Now I know! Thanks for your help imp!
@ripster1
You're welcome! It's always heartening to know when someone eliminates a problem! imp

Back