Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 Ranger 4WD alignment

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by Kyle K., January 28, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Kyle K.

Kyle K. Active Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91 XLT
      Hey all, I joined in 1999 with my jacked up Explorer, haven't been on in a while. Daughter now has a 2004 Ranger 4x4 that needs an alignment. These questions have probably been asked a few different ways, and I'm finding helpful info, but...
      My experience has been a lifted vehicle will have positive camber and a lowered vehicle will be negative. I think her truck has a torsion bar crank (no other obvious suspension mods) but it has negative camber. Is that normal? I have read numerous posts on here and TRS with both positive and negative. What gives?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Kyle K.

Kyle K. Active Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91 XLT
      After I discussed this at work, my theory is the control arm is at the ideal neutral position from the factory and since it is shorter than the lower control arm, once the torsion bar is cranked (or a leveling torsion key installed) it now rests already in the downstroke. The idea being that on the downstroke, the shorter upper arm is moving in a smaller arc than the longer lower arm, therefore it is tilting inward, creating negative camber.

The solution is... I'm going to fab adjustable control arms. Barnes 4WD threaded components for the adjustment, Moog control arm for the main body.

Last edited: February 1, 2018