1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 XLT 4.0 Explorer - size of axle nuts?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by neilpridenz, May 27, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. neilpridenz

neilpridenz New Member

May 21, 2011
      City, State:
      Christchurch, NZ
      Year and Model:
      2004 4.0 XLT

Does anyone know the correct size socket to use on a 2004 XLT 4.0 Explorer, both front and rear axle nuts which seem to be different sizes?

I need to remove these but dont have the correct ones, I measured the front at 30mm across the flats but my only 30mm socket feels like a very loose fit and I dont want to put too much pressure on and risk damaging nut or socket. (the socket is just a cheap one and may not be sized that accurately tho.)

I measured the rear one as 35mm but with all the rust etc I'm unsure of my measurements. Are they metric or imperial?

Can anyone who has worked on this exact model please let me know - I think other model years used different sizes.

I'm going to have to buy off the internet as my local suppliers dont stock these. Any recommendations?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.