1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2005 Brake lights not working after towing trailer.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by WHATAWhata, August 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. WHATAWhata

WHATAWhata New Member

August 5, 2011
      Used the wifes 2005 Explorer to tow a trailer. I hooked up the trailer lights to the Explorer factory plug on the tow bar. Now, brake lights nor the rear turn indicators do not work. Any help?
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

February 15, 2010
      City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Welcome aboard!! :salute:

WHATAWhata, here is the info from my owner's manual, which is the second printing. I have an early model '02 XLT, and I see you have an '05, so I don't know if this info will match your vehicle. If you need an owner's manual it can be downloaded here.

According to my owner's manual, there are no fuses for towing located in the fuse panel under the dash.

The Power Distribution Box under the hood contains a couple fuses related to towing. #13 is a 30A Maxi Cartridge Fuse labeled "Trailer Tow Battery". #27 is a 20A Mini Fuse labeled "Trailer Tow Lamps".

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Rear Relay Box & The Auxiliary Relay Box also contain items related to towing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The fuse panel under the driver side dash contains 3 fuses related to the brake/turn lights:

#5 is a 15A Mini Fuse labeled "Flasher Relay (Turn, Hazards)", #21 is a 5A Mini Fuse labeled "Instrument Cluster, Compass, Flasher Coil", #23 is a 15A Mini Fuse labeled "Brake Pedal Position Switch"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Like I said, this info is for an '02 and might not be the same for your '05. I would start by checking the fuses in the fuse panel under the driver side dash, then the fuses in the battery junction box under the hood.

Hope this helps out!! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post, looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!
      Last edited: August 7, 2011