2005 Brake lights not working after towing trailer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Brake lights not working after towing trailer.

WHATAWhata

Reaction score
Used the wifes 2005 Explorer to tow a trailer. I hooked up the trailer lights to the Explorer factory plug on the tow bar. Now, brake lights nor the rear turn indicators do not work. Any help?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

WHATAWhata, here is the info from my owner's manual, which is the second printing. I have an early model '02 XLT, and I see you have an '05, so I don't know if this info will match your vehicle. If you need an owner's manual Dead Link Removed.

According to my owner's manual, there are no fuses for towing located in the fuse panel under the dash.

The Power Distribution Box under the hood contains a couple fuses related to towing. #13 is a 30A Maxi Cartridge Fuse labeled "Trailer Tow Battery". #27 is a 20A Mini Fuse labeled "Trailer Tow Lamps".

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

The Rear Relay Box & The Auxiliary Relay Box also contain items related to towing:

The fuse panel under the driver side dash contains 3 fuses related to the brake/turn lights:

#5 is a 15A Mini Fuse labeled "Flasher Relay (Turn, Hazards)", #21 is a 5A Mini Fuse labeled "Instrument Cluster, Compass, Flasher Coil", #23 is a 15A Mini Fuse labeled "Brake Pedal Position Switch"

Like I said, this info is for an '02 and might not be the same for your '05. I would start by checking the fuses in the fuse panel under the driver side dash, then the fuses in the battery junction box under the hood.

Hope this helps out!! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post, looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back