and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2005 Explorer Transmission Problems

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by bbowers, December 5, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bbowers

bbowers New Member

City, State:
      Louisville KY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer
      2005 4-door 4x4 Explorer
      117,000 miles

My Explorer got stuck in PARK. It was stuck so bad that I thought I was going to break off the lever trying to move it from left to right into gear.

To make a long story short, it turns out that it might not in the gear that was indicated. When it was in THIRD gear I think it was really in DRIVE. And when it indicated it was DRIVE I think it might have been in NEUTRAL. I finally drove home in THIRD which I think was DRIVE.

Park / Reverse / Neutral / Drive / 3 / 2 / 1

Put another way, when the indicator was pointing at "3" I think it was actually in "Drive." Sorry, but I'm no car guy.

I've never had transmission problems with this Explorer before until 3 months ago when the half-case had to be replaced on September 30 after it developed a small leak.

The transmission guy who replaced the half-case told me that my particular transmission went out in 80% of the 2002-2005 Explorers that he saw. He said it's the kind that doesn't have a dip stick. He said that he was so sure that it would go out that he recommended I trade it in--only because it was a 2005. (Others in this forum have agreed with the transmission guy.)

Could he have done something--intentionally OR accidentally--to have cause the problem that occurred today? I don't want to sound paranoid but I find it a bit suspicious that I'm now having trouble again with the transmission less than 3 months after he replaced the half-case.

I need help and don't know what to do. I'll appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Bill
      :usa:

Last edited: December 5, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

4. bbowers

bbowers New Member

City, State:
      Louisville KY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer
      Thanks for you comments. Not only do I not know the shop owner well, I went away from the half-case replacement job feeling distrustful of the owner. He repeatedly berated his mechanic in front of me for things that he shouldn't have been critical of in the first place. Then his other employee walked by and he berated him too with me standing there. I don't know if I could or should trust anybody who has such little respect for their employees.

In addition, the price of the half-case job went up each time he called me, after of course, he already had started the job.

If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them. I don't know what to do besides take it to another transmission shop and just hope they do me right.

Any suggestions out there?

5. jaydez

jaydez Active Member

City, State:
      Hartford County, CT
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT V6 4x4
      I'd take it someplace else and get it looked at ASAP. It is probably just a cable out of adjustment. If it's one spot off like that then when you think you are in Park you are really in reverse and that can end bad for you and people around you.

6. bbowers

bbowers New Member

City, State:
      Louisville KY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer
      Yeah, I guess that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

7. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L