2005 Sport Trac how to dain old gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac how to dain old gas

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
I'm getting closer each day to restarting my Sport Trac.
So while I am working on my brakes I have been thinking about the next step(s)
One issue that I knew I would need to address is old gas.

Looking at my gas gauge it appears there is ~1/4 of a tank in there.
At first after smelling the gas I added a full can of Sea Foam, but after much rethinking I believe the best way to avoid injector, and other issues is to drain that old gas out then add fresh gas and maybe another can of Sea Foam.

Being a novice I thought aha I'll just buy a siphon kit thinking my vehicle is old enough to still allow me to siphon the gas. Unless I'm not doing it properly I cannot push the hose down into the tank. I can push the hose in a small way then it feels like I hit a bend, and with a little push it goes by it a little more then stops without getting into any gas..

I was hoping there was another way short of crawling under there, and dropping the tank.

Just thinking out loud would it be a simple thing to disconnect my fuel filter (hoping it's in a easy location), and somehow connecting a hose to it, and just turn on the ignition and let it pump itself dry? Am I missing something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can pull the filler neck hoses off and probably get a siphon on here. Otherwise a fitting on the spraeder valve, and a hose, and purge it using the fuel pump.

Mbrooks420 do you mean disconnect the filler tube right at the gas tank? I don't know what the spraeder valve is ? I take a look underneath to see if I can disconnect the filler neck hose.

The Schraeder valve is on the top of the motor on the fuel rail. The problem here is that you'll be
Pumping any junk through your strainer and filter.

You could probably disconnect the hose on the filler neck where you pump the gas. The rollover valve should be in the metal piece.

Thanks finally got my parking brake shoes on trying to remember which way to face the star adjuster. After that I will crawl under for a peek.
At least I am make progress slow progress, but nevertheless progress !

Hey, that's how we learn!

Well after trying to find out where, and what stops a siphon tube I bumped into a post of a member that posted about his 2002 Sport Trac. Although the 2002 filler pipe doesn't seem to be interchangeable with my 2005 it was interesting to see that there was a screen inside the 2002 metal filler pipe end section. So I'm guessing mine must have one also.

I've crawled under (wish I had a lift), and removed the metal band holding the rubber hose at the tank inlet. I can easily turn the hose, but because of age (and shrinkage as Geroge Constanza would say) the rubber hose has form fitted itself to the tank connector, and that single rib on the tank connector has a death grip on the rubber hose. I am unable to get any kind of good leverage to get a good pull on the hose.

So I decided to take a break, and think about my options.
I really don't want to cut the hose open, but it would get the hose off of the tank it would probably then be too short, and I would now be chasing the other end of the hose up into the body of the Sport Trac where there is even less room to work.. I guess I should remove the tire, and see if there is anything behind the fender well cover.

Not sure if there are metal sleeves that I might be able to insert and clamp into the cut hose, and a short piece of new hose (if I could find hose to fit the tank connector).
Lastly short of trying to heat and soften the hose with a hair drier which I am a leery of any electrical source around the gas tank filler connector, is there any other way to soften the rubber hose so I could pull it off?

Pull the connection at the fuel filter, place in 5 gal jug and jump the fuel pump relay connection.

Usually a hose puller( looks kinda like a dental pick) can be worked under the hose to break the seal, and to give a good way to tug.

I would think with some ingenuity you could couple it, but I'd make that a last resort.

Ok I'm out to do battle again. With regards to jumping the fuel pump relay and pumping out the gas. Would my bad gas mess up the screen in my tank ?

No the screen isn't that fine like the fuel filter. Then you can swap the filter when done since your there.

Took a look underneath, and found the filter. I will need to purchase some kind of tool get the "clips" off as I understand it there are packages that have several sizes of these clip removers? The engine has not run in some time so I guessing there is no pressure in the system ?
Just looking at the location along side the frame rail that I will get fuel all over the place until I get some sort of hose and bucket underneath.

Probably a good idea to change the filter anyway.
Just checked fuel filters they are all over the place in price. Motorcraft $20 is available or Napa Gold $15,69

Ok got the new fuel filter, a 3/8" fuel line disconnect tool, and 2' of rubber fuel line.
Started on the fuel tank end, and with not too much trouble was able to get that end off.
Unclipped the fuel filter, and have it hanging down so I can get at the engine side easier.

So far it will not budge. I removed the tool and eyeballed it, and I would say it had been pushing the tool in all the way.

Should the filter spin in the fuel line??? Mine will not spin at all. Is there n "O" ring inside that might be adhered to the filter?
I'm a little leery to start tapping it with a wrench with all the gas.

I tried placing a pair of needle nose pliers in between the filter, and the disconnect tool trying to push the fuel line off, but she's a stuck.
Not sure how much pressure I can apply tryin to pull the fuel line away. Didn't want my next purchase to be a new fuel line :banghead:

At least I am half way there.
When I finally get the engine side off I will reconnect the tank side with the short piece of fuel line into a gas can.

P.S. Going to try and get some PB blaster in there and let it sit for the night.
Just finished reading a post that PB blaster is bad for rubber so I guess that out.

Wanted to close out this post by saying at last my filter problems are over. Dorman tech support was great to me. They had me cut the fuel line and measure. Ford in my case had used a 3/8 quick connect mated to a 5/16 fuel line that is not unusual per Dorman. I bought a repair line with a plastic quick connect already attached with 18" of 5/16" fuel line.
I also used per their recommendation a Dorman plastic/nylon compression fitting to tie the new plastic line to my old steel line. I expected fuel leaks on the steel end, but after a little persuasion I was able to get the compression fitting to hold firmly on the steel line. Some fresh fuel some Sea Foam , and the Sport Trac started up without any leaks. All I want to do now is polish my ugly factory rims, and buy new tires.

P.S. I was quickly disgusted with the Ford steel quick connect, but just as quick came to like the plastic quick connects.

Back