2005 Sport Trac Vibration/Tire Problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac Vibration/Tire Problems.

Aggiest79

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Hello all.

I’m trying to get some ideas what to do with my 2005 Sport Trac. I bought it new 2 years ago and have 33K miles on it. At 25K miles I began having awful vibration problems on my front passenger seat. I took it in and Ford replaced my tires with brand new ones. (I had all the appropriate rotations/alignments/etc. however they said the tires were bad and wearing funny.) Now 8K miles later I am having the exact same issue. They are once again trying to replace my tires but I’m now very leery at this point. My warranty is up in 2K miles. Any thoughts, suggestions? I can’t continue to replace tires like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely due to tire cupping. For whatever reason, the Sport Trac front end has a habit, when combined with Goodyear Wranglers, to result in terrible cupping. My 04 has a 'whup whup whup' sound from 5 to about 35 MPH due to cupping.

Most folks have cured the problem with a combination of new shocks, an alignment (the front needs a camber kit--shops that merely align "close enough" do not cure it), and different tires than Goodyears. I want to wear my tires down a little more before I replace them, but plan on doing all three.

Thanks so much for the response. I do in fact have Good year tires on my truck. Sounds like that could be the problem.

Thank you.

I have an '05 also, I put new shocks on at 12,000 miles after I got sideways at 75 mph on I-90 when I hit some ripples.

I get the same nasty vibration...I knew it was atleast the tires..I have never liked teh Goodyear Tires on any explorer that I have owned. I did not know about the shocks. Any good recommendations...on shocks

I got 70K on my 04ST

getting vibration at start up, like 0-10 mph, could alignment be the problem? feels like the tires "arent working together" gonna get an alignment and see if that helps i guess.

I'm taking in the ST tomorrow to have them examine the front. I'll shoot back with their diagnosis. As much as it is the tires, something else is making noise. Sigh.

Any good recommendations...on shocks

I got Sensa Tracs at Sears, about $200 installed. Well worth it. I like them. I bought Pro Comp ES9000's earlier but they arrived missing a number of small parts (a common complaint) plus one front shock was obviously defective right out of the box so I sent them back and drove it to Sears on three shocks to get the Sensa Tracs.
The stock shocks are way too soft.

Back