1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2005 XLT Code P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Trooperbsb, January 3, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Trooperbsb

Trooperbsb New Member

City, State:
      Woodbury, CT
      Year and Model:
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT
      Good Evening, all.

Tonight I went to pull out my 2005 XLT out of the garage and found it was idling rough to the point it died. I started it again and it was revving between 100-1500 rpms. I let the engine warm up but this did not alleviate the problem. Finally, the truck stalled and would not start again. I read the codes and recieved P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor malfunction. Can I safely assume I need a new sensor?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 04_xlt_4x4

04_xlt_4x4 New Member

City, State:
      Iowa
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT 4x4
      Im having the same problem....find any solutions???

4. Trooperbsb

Trooperbsb New Member

City, State:
      Woodbury, CT
      Year and Model:
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT
      Yes. The shop ended up replacing both the fuel rail pressure sensor AND the fuel pump. Now, in retrospect, I wish I had them change the sensor first and fuel pump second as I still wonder if it was truly the pump. I trust my mechanic though (old friends) so I doubt he would lead me astray. Interestingly, I had a minor accident (rear-end) about 3 months prior and it might have been connected.

5. miker104

miker104 Active Member

City, State:
      N KY
      Year and Model:
      '04 XLT
      He may have changed the sensor first and when it didn't fix it he changed the fuel pump? Still had to charge for both though.

6. 04_xlt_4x4

04_xlt_4x4 New Member

City, State:
      Iowa
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT 4x4
      ok thanks trooperbsb. i disconnected the sensor it it runs normalish, CEL is still but it doesnt stall out or anything, just crappy fuel mileage. Im going to replace the sensor. thanks for the help!