2006 eddie bauer MPG question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 eddie bauer MPG question

fdtitan

Reaction score
Just wondering what the mpg everyone is getting on 2006 explorer. My computer says i am getting 8-9 mpg which i think is horrible. the truck has 9000 mile on it and is driven by my wife in new york. i called the dealer and of course they said that it is not possible and if something was wrong the check engine light would come on. It is going into the dealer tomorrow for other problems that were not fixed the last time it went in (front end noise). I am not a happy camper at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering what the mpg everyone is getting on 2006 explorer. My computer says i am getting 8-9 mpg which i think is horrible. the truck has 9000 mile on it and is driven by my wife in new york. i called the dealer and of course they said that it is not possible and if something was wrong the check engine light would come on. It is going into the dealer tomorrow for other problems that were not fixed the last time it went in (front end noise). I am not a happy camper at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you actually figured out the mileage for yourself without the computer ? Those values could be correct if the car is only driven around the city in these cold temperatures and left running to warm up without driving.

My wife drives our '07 EB v-6 around town 95% of the time with heavy traffic and usually sees about 13mpg. Eight or nine seems low, but considering the weather and amount of time you may spend warming it up it doesn't seem too far off.

Eric

the funny part is that the truck at one time was getting 12 and 21 highway on an extended trip. As far as the truck warming up, it runs bout 10 minutes then i go. I know exactly what is gonna happen, i will bring it to the dealer and they will say nothing is wrong. But the next time i fill the tank i am going to calculate the mpg myself, but the comp should definately be right. I am getting really annoyed at this truck and i am only 9000 miles into it. It is going in for the third time for the front end noise as well, so the last thing i want to do is try and lemon law this thing......

the funny part is that the truck at one time was getting 12 and 21 highway on an extended trip. As far as the truck warming up, it runs bout 10 minutes then i go. I know exactly what is gonna happen, i will bring it to the dealer and they will say nothing is wrong. But the next time i fill the tank i am going to calculate the mpg myself, but the comp should definately be right. I am getting really annoyed at this truck and i am only 9000 miles into it. It is going in for the third time for the front end noise as well, so the last thing i want to do is try and lemon law this thing......

Do you have the V8 or the V6 ?

Are you resetting the mpg's after each fill up?

I only drive 5 miles each way to work. In the winter I average about 12mpg with out letting it warm up. Still get 20+ on the highway, but if I do let it warm up even for 5 minutes before going to work I am down around 9 mpg and that is with driving very lightly. To give you an idea of the impact the cold has on my mpg I usually get around 15 or 16 in the summer on the same drive. Sounds like it may be the norm especially if you are letting it warm up for 10 minutes.

not to sound dumb but what would letting the truck warm up have to do with the mpg. it just idles in the driveway

not to sound dumb but what would letting the truck warm up have to do with the mpg. it just idles in the driveway

It burns fuel while idling and is essentially averaging 0 MPG whenever it is running but now moving.

cutting out that 10 minute warmup time will definately increase you mileage but my Explorer does lousy in city driving as well.

It burns fuel while idling and is essentially averaging 0 MPG whenever it is running but now moving.

Ditto that!

Sometime when you have a few minutes to kill, reset the MPG computer and let the car idle for 10 minutes and then go for a ride (of a length you choose), then make the trip home, but this time reset the MPG computer and have no idle time. It is pretty alarming at the impact of a short warmup.

I have a V8, but my climate control comes on very fast, even in below 0 temps. I think that a warmup period is not really needed with these cars (I know... I have a wife too...) get her a nice set of mittens.

I never warm up my V-6. Start it, put on seatbelt, take it easy for a few miles. Did the same with my 98 4.0 SOHC and never had a problem.

Still, those first few miles driving with a cold engine are a MPG killer too! It takes a lot of driving to average back up to reasonable mileage. But, it will warm up a whole lot quicker while driving and then the computer will lean out the mixture that much quicker.

Cold weather kills MPG. And can result in lower tire pressures which kill MPG even more. And winter blend fuels seem to produce less mileage as well. Driving style can play a big part too!

Still, those first few miles driving with a cold engine are a MPG killer too! It takes a lot of driving to average back up to reasonable mileage. But, it will warm up a whole lot quicker while driving and then the computer will lean out the mixture that much quicker.

Cold weather kills MPG. And can result in lower tire pressures which kill MPG even more. And winter blend fuels seem to produce less mileage as well. Driving style can play a big part too!

Both good points too. The mixture seems really rich on cold start, mine gets poor mileage for the first 5-10 minutes every day.

My brother in law works for Irving @ the dock. In Maine, they mix 10% Ethanol this time of year for the winter mix. The poor fuel (although it never seems to cause frozen gas lines anymore...I have not seen that in many years) combined with the cold, dense winter air (takes more energy to punch through colder air) and the blocky shape of the Ex really takes a toll in the winter.

Back