2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

i get paid good from ford. i cant complain over my weekly paycheck or yearly income.

that has nothing to do with the pure simple fact.

when a vehicle is unsafe, or you feel its unsafe. IT DOES NOT MEAN TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE. regardless of mfg.

i really dont know how else to spell this out to you.

it does not mean, drive the car till you, yourself get hurt or someone else.

First of all where do you work because you give mechanics a very bad name by the advice you give. (Not counting what you said in this reply). The vehicle in question (mine) is unsafe because of a mechanical/ software issue that has been mitigated by a software update and memory flash. When a software update is created it is because they made what is called a "running change" to repair a problem noticed in time. I have not been driving this vehicle because it is very dangerous and I don't want to hurt my family or any other innocent person.
I am a firefighter by profession for 23 years. I have been a mechanic for 35 years. I have not worked on vehicles since the mid 90's and have gone back into marine mechanics industry, i.e. Diesel, outboards and inboards, etc. I owned marine dealerships and when there was a mechanical problem with an engine or drive train I always gave the customer the benefit of the doubt. If the problem was customer created, they were told that. If there was a mechanical defect, I busted my ass to try to get the problem covered under warranty even when out. I was successful 100% of the time and had very happy customers. I represent them not the company.
Good free advice for ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took the old girl to the shop today and a software update was performed as per TSB. I will pick her up tomorrow and I will post the results.
I also had the air conditioner blender doors replaced as they were broken and am lookin at a $800.00 bill. Oh boy!

I picked up the truck this morning and immediately noticed a difference not only the bump is gone, but the actual shifting through acceleration is much improved. I hope it lasts.

Note- the air conditioned blender doors did not go so well as I still get much cooler air on the passenger's side then the driver's side. That's a probelm for another post though.

Thanks for all the advice.

I picked up the truck this morning and immediately noticed a difference not only the bump is gone, but the actual shifting through acceleration is much improved. I hope it lasts.

Note- the air conditioned blender doors did not go so well as I still get much cooler air on the passenger's side then the driver's side. That's a probelm for another post though.

Thanks for all the advice.

That's good to hear. I really want to get mine done.

thats not a blend door issues.

that is more of low freon. but those cars have a slight variation from pass to driver side.

First of all where do you work because you give mechanics a very bad name by the advice you give. (Not counting what you said in this reply). The vehicle in question (mine) is unsafe because of a mechanical/ software issue that has been mitigated by a software update and memory flash. When a software update is created it is because they made what is called a "running change" to repair a problem noticed in time. I have not been driving this vehicle because it is very dangerous and I don't want to hurt my family or any other innocent person.
I am a firefighter by profession for 23 years. I have been a mechanic for 35 years. I have not worked on vehicles since the mid 90's and have gone back into marine mechanics industry, i.e. Diesel, outboards and inboards, etc. I owned marine dealerships and when there was a mechanical problem with an engine or drive train I always gave the customer the benefit of the doubt. If the problem was customer created, they were told that. If there was a mechanical defect, I busted my ass to try to get the problem covered under warranty even when out. I was successful 100% of the time and had very happy customers. I represent them not the company.
Good free advice for ya.

first off all i'm not a mechanic.... technician yes. nobody can diag a car over the internet they can give advice and thats about it.

my advice was the most professional that could be said.

you were afraid it will hurt you or someone. best answer is do not operate the vehicle till its fixed.

as for the recall, i gave you an insight of maybe why its not. since this whole symptom etc happens extremely early in the vehicle. basically this happens before you even get your first oil change. i cant speak why ford didn't make it one. but the best answer is i have never seen one of these cars with high mileage doing this. why, it is so bad, that people just bring it in for that.

anyway i could continue but this is going to go no where.

thats not a blend door issues.

that is more of low freon. but those cars have a slight variation from pass to driver side.

It always held the same temp until just recently. Also, the freon is fine. The passenger side will freeze you out of the car and the driver's side blows somewhat warm. The blend doors were broken that's why they were replaced. It is going back in on Mondey. We shall see.

first off all i'm not a mechanic.... technician yes. nobody can diag a car over the internet they can give advice and thats about it.

my advice was the most professional that could be said.

you were afraid it will hurt you or someone. best answer is do not operate the vehicle till its fixed.

as for the recall, i gave you an insight of maybe why its not. since this whole symptom etc happens extremely early in the vehicle. basically this happens before you even get your first oil change. i cant speak why ford didn't make it one. but the best answer is i have never seen one of these cars with high mileage doing this. why, it is so bad, that people just bring it in for that.

anyway i could continue but this is going to go no where.

Waskly, I really don't know where you have been going with any of the "so called" advice that you have given me. I think for the most part you are way off base with your advice and by an large I feel most would agree with me.
Good luck with your career with Ford.

Fire, guess you didn't start a new thread. I'm not going to clutter this one but I had the same issue and now may have an understanding of it.

Great info everyone! I had the same jolting issue when you came to a stop with my 2006 EB V8 and had two different TSB's done in early 2007. It fixed the jolting issue but I did notice the car shifted very hard from 1-2 after the flash. I didn't complain though as I was happy to get rid of the jolting issue. I have lived with the hard 1-2 shift for a few years now as I did not know about the new 08-24-4 TSB.

Will this new TSB help smooth out the 1-2 shift? The car is going in for the 60k service next week and I would like to have it done while it is there. I would love for it to shift as smooth as it did when I drove it home new!

Thank you.

My 08 V8 Mountaineer never had the jolting issue, but it did have the rough shifting from 1st to 2nd when I bought it used.
I had the flash upgrade done at 33,000 miles and it pretty much eliminated the issue.
If you give it good throttle in first and then let off the gas it will still be a little abrubt into 2nd, but in most circumstances I am very pleased with the improvement.
It has worked good for 4 months and 5,000 miles by now.

I had it done and it definetly helped the 1-2 shift. I never had the jolt upon stop either and still don't. Get it done and you should immediately notice a difference or at least within a day or two. If you don't, take it back becuase maybe they didn't do the whole process. They have to flash the computer and also run the car through a few gears on a drive. It was worth the hour worth of labor ($90) I had to pay, but I think flash updates should be free since they gave us a crappy product to start with.

I had it done and it definetly helped the 1-2 shift. I never had the jolt upon stop either and still don't. Get it done and you should immediately notice a difference or at least within a day or two. If you don't, take it back becuase maybe they didn't do the whole process. They have to flash the computer and also run the car through a few gears on a drive. It was worth the hour worth of labor ($90) I had to pay, but I think flash updates should be free since they gave us a crappy product to start with.

I'm glad to hear this. I don't have the jolt upon stopping, but I do have a rough 1-2 shift, just like you did.

Is the dealer the only place you can get the procedure done or could you take it to a transmission shop?

Not actually sure. I looked into the price of one of the computers (or interface and software to the computer) and it was extremely expensive. Try calling, but I figured the price wasn't significantly more, it would be recorded in the records of a mercury dealer (for resale), and dealers would probably do a whole lot more of these than a tranny shop. As a result, I choose the dealer. Just reference the TSB below when you go in. Good luck!

Well I had the new 08-24-4 TSB done today and the 1-2 shift is as smooth as the day I drove the Explorer home! What a difference! This is how my truck is supposed to shift. What a shame it took Ford so many TSB's to finally get it right. Sucks I had to pay for it also today! Oh well, just glad the truck is right again! Hope it lasts.

Well I had the new 08-24-4 TSB done today and the 1-2 shift is as smooth as the day I drove the Explorer home! What a difference! This is how my truck is supposed to shift. What a shame it took Ford so many TSB's to finally get it right. Sucks I had to pay for it also today! Oh well, just glad the truck is right again! Hope it lasts.

What did they charge for update? (I'm asking because my 07 is out of warranty.) Thanks.

What did they charge for update? (I'm asking because my 07 is out of warranty.) Thanks.

stangcbr said it was $90 (an hour's labor), and my dealer quoted me $92 if they were to do it to mine.

stangcbr said it was $90 (an hour's labor), and my dealer quoted me $92 if they were to do it to mine.

Thanks for useful info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mine done about 18 months ago when it was in for an oil change. I didn't have the keyless entry code, so I asked them to dump the code off the computer and upload TSB 08-24-4 at the same time. They charged me $58.50 (1/2 hr.) I can feel a definite difference, the trans shifts smoother and maybe has a little more power at the front end.

Back