2006 explorer radiator | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer radiator

The radiator I had bought from Radiator.com was a Visteon.

Through a lot of *****ing and complaining I was able to get my dealer to agree to install it if I supplied the part.

Make the point with your dealer that this is a known problem. That Ford has issued TSB's for this issue, and its unheard of that a nearly new vehicle should need a radiator. Get them to reflash the ECM as well per the TSB for that.

Thanks for the advice - by the way what does ECM mean in this context?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice - by the way what does ECM mean in this context?

I should have called it PCM which stands for "powertrain control module". Either way it's the computer that controls the engine, radiator fan, etc...

Check out this service bulletin

You might also want to ask about "After Warranty Assistance". I wasn't successful with getting any but that could be different with your dealer.
Basically it's money Ford provides to the dealers to help out customers with major repair issues. Their given a limited amount and from what I was told when my radiator went out in November 09 is they weren't getting any at that time.

I posed this question to them when dealing with them.

"Would you purchase a $(your price) dollar vehicle if you knew you would have to replace the radiator within (your mileage)? Of course not, If I new the 2006 Explorers had this design flaw I would have NEVER have purchased It."

I believe that the fact that there's a TSB "technical service bulletin" that was issued near the end of the 3 year warranty expiration time frame, supports the design flaw argument.

I have happy:) and sad news.:( We traded our 2006 EB Explorer in yesterday. All the problems we had - 4 radiators, ABS sensors, rear driver's motor window, rear axle seal, dead battery after six months, water pump and thermo-fan, inoperable passenger seatbelt, occasional bump in trans, among other things made us do this. The warranty company, Interstate National Dealer Services crappy "reimbursment" where no-one would accept their rates and replacement cost tempted us to wave goodbye. We purchased a Kia 2011 Sorento 4 cly, FWD. There offered a $1000 cash rebate and $1000 competitive rebate towards the EB. It would silly for me to make over 31 more payments at over $500. I also considered the price of gas, as it is close to $3.00/gallon. The warranty was also a big factor in this decision, as I read about people at this forum who purchased 2006 after the 36/36000 warranty sill having radiator problems. This site was great for advice, but Ford still does'nt see what a manufacturing problem they have. I will be checking in every so often.

Broke a record today.

Had fourth radiator installed in 2006 Eddie Bauer today. A "Genuine Ford Part". PCM has been reprogrammed by Ford according to TSB of 4/09.

RADIATOR LEAKING ANITFREEZE UPON ARRIVAL HOME. A 2 MILE DRIVE HOME FROM THE MECHANIC.

I challenge anyone to top this story.

Wow that has to be a record there.
STU

Hey... for you guys that have changed one of these out....

Anyone get an aftermarket rad that seems to be holding up?

And do you need to remove the fan? And if so, do you need special tools?

TIA!

Hey radiator scam, I live in the Cin. area. Where did you get your work done at so I know not to ever go there? I hae an 06 EB v8. I love this vehicle so far, but I have only had it since Feb of this year. Hoefully I have better luck than I have seen on this forum!!!
I have a second child on the way and I don't need to get stranded with a bum car. I am a pretty good mechanic, but I haven't worked on this one before!

Hey radiator scam, I live in the Cin. area. Where did you get your work done at so I know not to ever go there? I hae an 06 EB v8. I love this vehicle so far, but I have only had it since Feb of this year. Hoefully I have better luck than I have seen on this forum!!!
I have a second child on the way and I don't need to get stranded with a bum car. I am a pretty good mechanic, but I haven't worked on this one before!

Its only a problem to the v6 model.

Explore06 - I get my work done at an independent mechanic near where I live in Northern Kentucky. I have dealt with him for several years and will continue to do business with him. He does great work and is 100% honest. The problems I am having with this Explorer are because of issues the Ford Motor Company refuses to acknowledge and deal with. If I had to start over at the beginning with this vehicle, I should have bent over and taken the screwing the local dealer wanted to give me on the original replacement of the radiator (nearly $1100). They would be the ones responsible for all of the replacements I've had to have done. Again, the problem with these radiators is a Ford Motor Company problem. And the Ford Motor Company needs to take responsibility for them.

You're lucky you bought a V8 model as it appears that they aren't part of the problem.

Hello...
New to this forum. I just read all 11 pages of this thread, and so far, so good... no radiator problems on my 2006 XLT with about 35,000 miles on it. But reading all this has me scared and wondering about purchasing an extended warranty? Do most folks recommend it? And, if so, which is a good company to go with.

I should say this is my 3rd Explorer. First (1994) was a lease I had to turn in after 3 years, second (1997) met it's demise in an accident with 114,000 miles on it and virtually no problems aside from routine maintaince (brakes, muffler, tires, etc.).

So... should I pull the trigger on an extended warranty?

Hello...
New to this forum. I just read all 11 pages of this thread, and so far, so good... no radiator problems on my 2006 XLT with about 35,000 miles on it. But reading all this has me scared and wondering about purchasing an extended warranty? Do most folks recommend it? And, if so, which is a good company to go with.

I should say this is my 3rd Explorer. First (1994) was a lease I had to turn in after 3 years, second (1997) met it's demise in an accident with 114,000 miles on it and virtually no problems aside from routine maintaince (brakes, muffler, tires, etc.).

So... should I pull the trigger on an extended warranty?

All depends on what you can do yourself. If you don't like to work on newer cars yourself, I would say that an extended warranty is a great investment. Most are transferrable and also refundable if you get rid of the vehicle.

If you buy one, get it thru FORD ESP. Those 3rd parties are worthless.

Thanks so much for your replies. The only thing I can do by myself is put the key in the car and turn it :)

One further question.... I am the first owner of the vehicle, but the Explorer has been out of warranty for a few months. Is it still possible to buy the extended warranty?

One further question.... I am the first owner of the vehicle, but the Explorer has been out of warranty for a few months. Is it still possible to buy the extended warranty?

Yes. Ford ESP will require an inspection of the truck since it's not currently under the factory warranty/ESP, which costs $125 and is non-refundable.

Yes. Ford ESP will require an inspection of the truck since it's not currently under the factory warranty/ESP, which costs $125 and is non-refundable.
Went through this myself back in December.

I definitely recommend shopping around. I ended up getting the highest ESP as my Limited is loaded so I wanted the Navigation, DVD and other electronic components covered. After going to 3 different places, I had the third one (a Mazda/Mercury dealer which I frequent) to match the 2nd and give me the inspection cost off the price which made it effectively cheaper than the 2nd place.

The ESP site online wasn't much cheaper (about $100) so I felt that buying through the local dealer may get me better service in the future if I need it.

Check out http://www.myfordwarranty.com/ for ESP. It's a Ford dealer in RI. I just got the full-boat plan for our Mountaineer and it was about $550 cheaper than getting it through the Ford website. For an extra $65 they divide it the cost of the ESP into 12 payments, which worked out to about 5% interest.

There is also http://www.fordwarrantys.com/ - if you give them your email address they send you a code for some % off, but for my vehicle, myfordwarranty.com was cheaper.

Check out http://www.myfordwarranty.com/ for ESP. It's a Ford dealer in RI. I just got the full-boat plan for our Mountaineer and it was about $550 cheaper than getting it through the Ford website. For an extra $65 they divide it the cost of the ESP into 12 payments, which worked out to about 5% interest.
When I punched in my 2006 Limited with 48k miles (mileage when I bought my ESP a few months ago), it said I was not eligible because I had more than 36k miles.

When I punched in my 2006 Limited with 48k miles (mileage when I bought my ESP a few months ago), it said I was not eligible because I had more than 36k miles.

You have to phone them about the used car warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone that's replaced their rad....do you have to remove the fan? And if so, is there a special tool for it?

TIA!

Back