Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 Explorer w/tow package electrical problem

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by maybe4, September 10, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. maybe4

maybe4 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Ford Explorer
      Hello, I recently purchased this '06 XLT and it has a factory installed tow package. I have been trying to diagnose why I have no power to the 7 Round or 4 flat. I believe I have checked every fuse and relay that has anything to do with the trailer lights. The odd thing is that on the 7 round receptacle I do have 12 Volts flowing to the #4pin (heavy red wire, not used in the 4 flat or my 7 Round connector).

My wiring is as follows, going clockwise and starting with the ground PIN 1 (White Wire, roughly 7 o'clock position), Left Turn PIN 5 (Yellow), Running lights PIN 3 (Brown), 12V PIN 4 (Red), Right Turn PIN 6 (Green), Trailer Brakes PIN 2 (BLU), center Auxiliary PIN 7 (Blu/brown). I do not use PINS 2 4 or 7. Except for PIN 4 none of the other pins are getting any power.

I suspected a problem within the fuse box itself, even though FUSE #7 was OK, I thought power might not be flowing through it as that could explain my scenario. I jumpered the fuse and was able to verify that 12V was flowing through that fuse.

Is there a plug somewhere that could be unplugged between the fuse box and the 7 Round that would not include the #4 PIN Wire (since it does have power) ? I am out of ideas on where the wiring is failing.
      ---thank you, any insight would be very much appreciated!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Campnham

Campnham New Member

City, State:
      Parma, Ohio. Somewhere south of disorder.
      2008 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
      Callsign:
      N8LZA
      I would start at the connections under the car in the back. I'm sure the car has seen a lot of winter salt that plays havoc with the connectors. I would also look into getting a test plug to test the connector. You should be able to get them online, or a camper store. They make them for the four flat, or seven pin round type. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of troubleshooting.

4. maybe4

maybe4 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2006 Ford Explorer
      Thanks Ron. I found it (I was already using a tester that's how I knew which pins were not getting power). the hitch wire bundle disappears up into the right blinker cavity. Right were this happens the wire bundle is mounted to a white piece of plastic about 5 inches by 4 inches. the wires were rubbing against the side of this piece of plastic and it literally sawed through the Right, Left, and running light wires. All fixed :)!!! Thank you for the reply.

Mike