Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 Ford explorer won't shift out of park

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by Gshbs, April 19, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Gshbs

Gshbs New Member

City, State:
      Masontown WV
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Ford explorer
      My 18 year old daughter recently bought a 2006 explorer from an auto auction, therefore no warranty, and about 10 days later it wouldn't shift out of park. We replaced a sensor thinking that was the problem, but it still won't come out of park

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      You mean the shifter handel wont unlock? There is an emergency lock release under the cup holder. Flip u the black cover and jam it with a screw driver. You can find instructions in the owners manual. You can clean it up but I just busted the tab off mine. Now the lock out doesn't work but the button on the shifter does.

4. mbed

mbed New Member

2002 Explorer
      You can try to turn key to run position and try to shift also...not sure but an easy thing to try. (also assuming foot is on brake pedal and the sensor you mentioned is the one behind the brake pedal; all based on my 02's architecture, not an 06)