1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 Mercury Mountaineer won't come out of park

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by tracihenn, February 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tracihenn

tracihenn New Member

I'm new to these forums and found it searching for a resolution to my problem. Every once in awhile I've had a problem getting the shifter out of park. But the frequency has increased lately. It's increased so much that it happened three times last week and today. Last Friday the car sat all day at work. I couldn't get it out of park. I can hear clicking in the steering column as I press the button. There was finally a louder click and I was able to put it in gear. Today I drove it home from work. Fifteen minutes later I went out to leave again, heard the clicking but it would not shift. It sat for about 30 minutes and was fine. The brake lights are functional. I've searched the forums here and can't find any other suggestions. I called my mechanic who didn't have other suggestions (and he's a Ford person). He then showed up at my house to investigate the car (he's great like that). When he got in, he started it and was able to shift.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
      Traci

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. steve6534

steve6534 Active Member

City, State:
      Southern NJ
      Year and Model:
      '06 EB V8
      Welcome ! A quick search for "shifter stuck" would have directed you to this topic -

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174666&highlight=shifter+stuck

This sounds like a pretty common problems with the 4th generation explorers.

4. V8power

V8power New Member

City, State:
      Des Moines, Iowa
      Year and Model:
      2006 Moutaineer PremierV8
      Yes, there is a TSB on this for the year, they will replace the safety switch.

5. tracihenn

tracihenn New Member

I searched TSBs but didn't find it. Do you happen to know the number?

Many thanks,
      Traci

6. tracihenn

tracihenn New Member

And how do TSBs working with the dealership if your warranty has already expired? Can I push the issue to have them fix the problem since it's a known problem even though my warranty expired?

thanks again,
      Traci

7. belvin20

belvin20 New Member

City, State:
      Cornelius, North Carolina
      Year and Model:
      1999 And 2006 V-8's
      MY 06 EB had the same problem, dealer shifter under warranty and problem fixed. Dealer told me this had been a problem in the 2006 model year. If your car is out of warranty, call Ford and see if they will do anything for you.

8. aaronajb1981

aaronajb1981 Active Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      Year and Model:
      '06 XLS
      Out of warranty out of luck unless its a recall. I think its like a $150-200 part plus labor.

In case of an emergency pick up the little rubber piece in the bottom of the cup holder, and under there will be a place to stick a small flat screwdriver and its the mechanical release to the shifter interlock.

9. mweiss

mweiss Active Member

City, State:
      New Milford, CT
      Year and Model:
      1998 & 2006 Explorers
      I've noticed this when I stop to get out of the truck and reach in my mailbox and get back in the truck. I find I have to step on the brake several times before I can get the shifter out of park. Is this the symptom of the problem being discussed here? (I was thinking this could be dangerous in an urban environment where you have to make a quick getaway from some thugs.)

10. boy

boy New Member

City, State:
      conway ark
      Year and Model:
      2002 mercury mountaineer
      2002 mercury mountaineer won't shift out of park