and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 Oil Change Required Reset

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Bigkondor, September 14, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Bigkondor

Bigkondor New Member

City, State:
      Colorado
      Year and Model:
      06 XLT
      I searched a previous thread about this but it didnt have a real clear answer. The manual doesnt say much but how do you get rid of OIL CHANGE REQURED message. This is my 2nd oil change and I didnt have any problem resetting it the first time its almost like there is something wrong (probably operator). Any detailed help would be helpful(Ive already got the oil life % reset but not the other message.)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rpr

rpr Active Member

City, State:
      Smith Mountain Lake, VA
      Year and Model:
      2006 Limited
      I would also like to know. I have been getting the reminder since 2000 miles. It drives me nuts...it doesn't need an oil change until 5000 miles...right???

4. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
      623 AZ area
      Year and Model:
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      At the hold to reset, hit it twice.... yeah i know "says" Hold, but the double hit worked on mine...

5. 97emerald

97emerald Member

City, State:
      Westminster, MD
      Year and Model:
      06 xlt, 97 ranger 4.0
      rpr, it goes by time as well as mileage. At 6 months, It signals an oil change also. Mine was on when we bought it.

6. bitkahuna

bitkahuna Active Member

City, State:
      FL
      Year and Model:
      '06 Limited
      I think you may have to be in park to get it to 'stick'. I finally cleared it after several attempts.

7. rpr

rpr Active Member

City, State:
      Smith Mountain Lake, VA
      Year and Model:
      2006 Limited
      Check the manual...it contains detailed instructions. First time a vehicle manual actually helped me with an issue.

It's not an intuitive process. Followed the instructions and got mine to reset...should not be triggered again for another 5,000 miles (per "100%" setting).