and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 Rear DVD/Entertainment Center

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by motorama55, August 12, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. motorama55

motorama55 New Member

City, State:
      Bel Air, Maryland
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer
      I just purchased a 2006 EB and wanted to add the Factory ceiling mounted rear DVD/Entertainment center. Is the wiring harness for these already in place? If not, can the harness be ordered from Ford? I checked with a local Ford dealer and he told me that he couldn't find a part # for the harness? Has anyone addded one of these?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tldt2003

tldt2003 Member

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      Year and Model:
      2006 E.B.
      Probably would be much easier (and cheaper) to install the accessory Ford DVD player in the ceiling. Just have to run 1 harness for power, and it comes with it.

4. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another... Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT
      I know some have, because theyve been sold on part outs, but I would think you probably have to get the harness, it shouldnt be too complicated, but then again, thinking about it, the harness might actually be there, otherwise you'd have to splice into the headunit harness and whatnot, try pulling your headliner down enough to see...

5. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another... Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT

Whats the difference between this and the one he wants to install?

6. tldt2003

tldt2003 Member

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      Year and Model:
      2006 E.B.
      The accessory one mounts in a 9" wide area of the headliner. The unit is smaller, but the screen size is the same. Plus I think it's a little cheaper. The factory unit is much bigger/wider, and if the harness is not there it would be quite a pain.

7. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      there is also a mounting bracket for it. If its there, it would be a green plug with 16-20 wires in it, 'C' Piller near the top. Note, in my '04 that same harness could also come with a sub-woofer plug which was omitted for mine even though i had the DVD player. Anything else, i'd say yes, but for some reason there seem to be more than one harness for the radios depending on the setup.
      The aftermarket one seems to be the way to go. Or you would have to pull the harness off a junker.

8. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      pic of bracket, silver thing center of the roof.

Attached Files: