2006 redo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 redo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the doorhandles don´t other me. Was told that tall people have probs with their knees, wondering why. I´m 5ft9, having not any probs with the handles.

Wait for your first windy day and the door takes off - You'll be lunging for that out of the way handle before you ding the guy next to you - Other explorers it was in the arm rest - What happened

okay, the armrest has been the better place for `em - that´s right.

Although they work for me (without the reported hand slamming into the leg if you don't let go at the right moment), the placement of the door handles do bother me quite a bit. But not to the extent that I regret my purchase.

Would be nice if it was a simple fix (something we could easily replace ourselves for a $100 in parts when they actually make the change), but that sounds unlikely. Oh well.

I am still waiting for an explanation of "the new more powerful explorer", since I cant find what it does better.

guess it means the new V8 engine and tranni. Have no opportunity to compare with the older V8´s , it´s my first V8 X´. Can´t complain, just missing the V8-sound ( maybe an Edelbrock-mufflers helps :) )

FJB20 said:
Wait for your first windy day and the door takes off - You'll be lunging for that out of the way handle before you ding the guy next to you - Other explorers it was in the arm rest - What happened
here against the front range, it's pretty windy at times, and yesterday the door flew open and luckily i wasn't parked next to anyone - it was all i could do to hang on to the handle, which being located so close to the fulcrum, i was pretty much unable to stop it from opening all the way. i'm around 200 lbs & 6'2", so i feel for the little/old/female drivers.

i will admit this is probably more durable than my 91 ranger, which was just a vinyl covered piece of foam w/ plastic back; it disinegrated around 150,000 miles.

Garth said:
I am still waiting for an explanation of "the new more powerful explorer", since I cant find what it does better.

V8 = 292hp ... 'nuff said :confused:

cwescapexlt4x4 said:
I am still :confused: . I go about and boast Horsepower when it does not help in the 0-60, 1/4mile nor top speed. :fire:

I am just saying this because I want them to fix it not because I want to knock on your new truck.

Garth said:
I am still :confused: . I go about and boast Horsepower when it does not help in the 0-60, 1/4mile nor top speed. :fire:

I am just saying this because I want them to fix it not because I want to knock on your new truck.

"Fix it" meaning interior door handles ... correct?
16.jpg

Garth said:

cwescapexlt4x4 said:

For a V8 300hp seems a little low, but I guess its standard for its class. If ya want zip find some of the SUV's out there that have a V6 with 300hp. Same hp, less weight, and better gas. That is if you more interested in 0-60 numbers.

As for the incorrectly placed door handles. Its a buy off to me personaly as im a tall guy. Smashing my knee every morning is not on my list of things to do every day. It would stop me from buying it this year. Next years model who knows.

thank god I´m only 5ft9" and have memory seats - never smashed my knees.

HardTech said:
For a V8 300hp seems a little low, but I guess its standard for its class. If ya want zip find some of the SUV's out there that have a V6 with 300hp. Same hp, less weight, and better gas. That is if you more interested in 0-60 numbers.
Actually there are heavier v6's out there with less hp, less torque but gives out better performance #'s and gas mileage. :confused:

I am 6' 1" and no smashing knees, guess I am confused on that?

Garth said:
Actually there are heavier v6's out there with less hp, less torque but gives out better performance #'s and gas mileage. :confused:

Well I know GM's inline is pretty good, 300/300 from 6 cylinder... not shabby. But that requires you to like there Trucks/SUV’s. Which as of late have been getting ugly.

cwescapexlt4x4 said:
I am 6' 1" and no smashing knees, guess I am confused on that?

6' 5" and smash my knee when i went to see it in the auto show, and when I went to test one out. So... :/

Same for my dad at 6' 4". How ever my mom fits pretty well at 5' 4.75"

Yes i had to put the .75, she would kill me if I didn’t give her that .75" boast ;)

I'm 6'7" and I have no problems!~

what are you smashing your knees against?

Back