Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2006 V8 6sp: how-to lockout 6th only?

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by thebrakeman, August 18, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      Our Mountaineer has been a great family vehicle, whether towing or not. Very capable for it's size, and handles our travel trailer very well (~5200 lbs loaded).

What I can't stand is that the OD lockout button forces the 6sp-auto down to 4th gear (locks out 5th and 6th). The majority of the time when towing, 5th gear would be perfect. If I lock into 4th gear, the rpms seem too high, and from my Scangauge, I know I have more available torque, and could get better gas mileage. Left in 6th (full-auto), it may or may not start hunting, forcing me to allow the speed to reduce to avoid downshifting on even small hills. In the end, I usually leave OD functioning, and avoid using cruise control unless it's a calm day and very flat.

What I've never asked is:
      Has anybody ever looked into a transmission reprogram that would allow locking out ONLY 6th gear?
      a. Change programming so that the OD lockout button only locks out 6th gear, or
      b. Pull a fuse or some other item such that 6th is locked out regardless of OD lockout position.
      c. other?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MacVader

MacVader New Member

City, State:
      Pevely mo
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2010 explore limited
      I know why it does it but I haven't found a way yet to only lock out 6th