• Register Today It's free!

2006 V8 Thermostat Change

White97Jimmy

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD
Took off the throttle body, upper radiator hose and still cannot get to the bolt underneath the front part of the intake. Do I have to take off the alternator? This looks like it's gonna take longer than I thought.

I'd rather not pull out the Mustang if I have to go somewhere and piss off the neighbors with the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say get out the mustang and make some noise for your neighbours.

And maybe let the rest of know just what it takes to replace the troublesome stat.

JK

I can look up what it takes to replace the Stat... I have volumes 1&2 of the shop manual as well as the Electrical manual. let me know if you need a diagram?

The shop manual doesn't mention anything about removing the alternator.
Remove TB, rad hose and vapour hose should give access to the 2 bolts.
Torque spec is 89 in lbs, so just snug down on the bolts.

Thanks. I ended up getting the 2 bolts out. It was definitely a pain. Took 2 hours to change the thing! I wasn't sure how to remove the vapor hose, it had a weird clip on the end and it wouldn't come out easily, so I decided against trying to pry it out and risk breaking it. Finally got the 2 8mm bolts out and replaced the thermostat. Tightened them down as much as I could and test drove it. No leaks.

Only thing that worries me a bit is the new o-ring that came with the thermostat is thicker than the OEM and the hose adapter didn't fit flush. I tightened pretty hard (within reason) and after driving for 2 days, it hasn't leaked. I guess I'll just keep my eye on it. Hope this was the problem of my overheating! The old thermostat still looked fine.

Back