2008 Eddie Bauer No air flow from floor vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Eddie Bauer No air flow from floor vents

NJExpSport2001

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone,

I searched the forums before posting but I didn't find a clear fix. When I select the floor vents barely anything comes out. I tried the face/floor selection and I only get flow from the face vents. Defrost/feet I only get flow from the defrosters. Is this a blend door issue?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone,

I searched the forums before posting but I didn't find a clear fix. When I select the floor vents barely anything comes out. I tried the face/floor selection and I only get flow from the face vents. Defrost/feet I only get flow from the defrosters. Is this a blend door issue?

Thanks
Not to hijack your post but I had something similar happen today on my 2010. The only difference was all the air was coming out the defrost vents rather than front and feet combo. It eventually started putting air out the propper places though. Not sure what was up with that.

Generally when the blend doors go bad it's the actuator for the door. It will make a clicking noise due to the stripped gear. Are you getting a clicking noise in the dash?

Generally when the blend doors go bad it's the actuator for the door. It will make a clicking noise due to the stripped gear. Are you getting a clicking noise in the dash?
Mine is quiet. Does the blend door determine the vent output or just the temperature mix?

The blend door controls the temp - but I think the other doors use the same mechanism so they suffer a common failure point.

The blend door controls the temp - but I think the other doors use the same mechanism so they suffer a common failure point.
Hmmm. A chilton manual may be in order

Hang in there - someone has had that problem and will be along eventually. Hopefully you've done a search. Sometimes I will check out the parts diagrams on the parts sites to get an idea of the components and possible failure points. Knowing what's there and where it's at can really help.

Hang in there - someone has had that problem and will be along eventually. Hopefully you've done a search. Sometimes I will check out the parts diagrams on the parts sites to get an idea of the components and possible failure points. Knowing what's there and where it's at can really help.
I know. I found one for 2nd gens that focuses on vaccum tubes causing this exact issue.

No noise from mine

I thought about this last night after I posted and I believe I was wrong about the diverter doors. I believe they are actually vacuum operated - if they aren't then why do we have a vacuum reservoir in the cabin? I know the blend doors are electric - I've replace an actuator on one - so the others may be vacuum operated - your 2nd gen diagram may actually be pertinent.

If its vacuum they a crack or broken hose is likely in the engine compartment. It depends if that is the default position before vacuum is applied to pull it open. I don't know the specifics on this vehicle. But it was on an older vehicle I had once.

I thought about this last night after I posted and I believe I was wrong about the diverter doors. I believe they are actually vacuum operated - if they aren't then why do we have a vacuum reservoir in the cabin? I know the blend doors are electric - I've replace an actuator on one - so the others may be vacuum operated - your 2nd gen diagram may actually be pertinent.

It does change from front to defrost. Do you think it may be the doors not moving to the floor position? Very confusing, everything works but the floor vents

How long have you had the Ex? I ask that because as long as I have had mine (10 years) the floor vents have been weak. Even set for floor you still have some air coming out the dash vents that are directed at the side windows. Also, air comes out the back of the console. With multiple exit points the air will feel weak compared to the straight defrost and vent modes.

How long have you had the Ex? I ask that because as long as I have had mine (10 years) the floor vents have been weak. Even set for floor you still have some air coming out the dash vents that are directed at the side windows. Also, air comes out the back of the console. With multiple exit points the air will feel weak compared to the straight defrost and vent modes.

Been in the family since new. Barely anything comes out when the fan is set to 3 and floor

My floor vents are pathetic as well. It takes a while on "recirc" mode to warm up my feet in the lovely freezing weather we have had for the past number of weeks here on the East coast.
As said above, the blend door actuators control the temperature of the air mixture.
The air flow diverter motor controls where it comes out.

Recently, the diverter actuator/motor went bad on mine for the rear AC. It was stuck in the floor position.
I disassemble the rear quarter interior trims to get to it, and when I removed it looked almost the same as the blend actuators. And inside the duct/housing there was a big plastic flap that would send the air up to the ceiling or down to the floor.

Is there a filter or some entry way that may be obstructed where the system sucks in the air to circulate ?
Maybe some leaves got stuck in there ?

Hmm my son's seems to be unusually good then. I was toasting my toes last time I was in the passenger seat!! Maybe its the drivers side issue. I'll ask him if his feet are warm.

...and I need to check my son's 07, his heat seems to work much better, but the trucks are identical save for the powertrain.
And he has just a little less miles on his....

Most vehicle lack a lot of flow to the feet especially in Bi-level mode. When directed down only it improves a lot. If you're cold that maybe an option at least until they've warmed and switch back to bi-level outputs which I usually have as my default.

I believe I checked and his did not have a cabin filter since I bought him new filters. Engine Air intake was the only one and used a Ford one for him.

Most vehicle lack a lot of flow to the feet especially in Bi-level mode. When directed down only it improves a lot. If you're cold that maybe an option at least until they've warmed and switch back to bi-level outputs which I usually have as my default.

I believe I checked and his did not have a cabin filter since I bought him new filters. Engine Air intake was the only one and used a Ford one for him.
They don’t have cabin filters. I looked on mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back