• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ranger oil change

Rick4x4

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ranger sport 4x4
I have a 2008 Ranger and the recomended oil change is 12000km(7200miles)
does anyone know much about this?Is it special oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi There:
I would make the first oil change at 5000.If you have the 4.0l sohc engine.The oil should be 5w-30 meeting the ford spec. WSS-M2C929-A. I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my 05 4.0l sohc ranger xlt which meets this spec.After that if your ranger uses a quart at 6000 miles thats when I would change the oil.
rob05xlt

Check the book again. That recommendation is for "normal service" which means all freeway driving with no dusty conditions. That's probably less than 10% of all drivers. They also specify that if you do a lot of driving around town, in dusty areas, or a lot of short trips then you should change at 3,000 miles.

I always do the first oil change before 1000 miles. A brand new engine breaking in leaves numerous metal particles in the oil (the filter should trap most of it, but doesn't quite get ALL of it).
From then on out I would change it every 5000 miles for typical everyday service. 3000 is a bit excessive though unless you tow or go offroad a lot (or frequently get stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic).

I do my first oil change at 100 miles. Then, at 500, then 1000. Every 3000 after that.

Too often? My '93 has 302K miles on it, and still runs good.

Back