2009 4.0 Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 4.0 Questions

MT523

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Exlporer Limited V6
I just got a 2009 Limited V6 that I really like. Correct me if I'm wrong but other than an exhaust system, there isn't anything I can do to upgrade the engine right?

Does anyone know where to get an aftermarket front bumper or the best place to get anything for a 4th gen?

Also, the stock sound system for this car is four 6.5" speakers and I need to remove the door panels to replace them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 4 speakers and they are 6x8. For performance parts there is not much for the 4l.

Hey MT523, I am kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to the performance parts except I have an 06. I too have the 4.0 V6.

I personally don't believe the exhaust is much of restriction. I think the only things you can do are getting it tuned for higher octane fuel which.... I think it will get ya in the neighborhood of about 10-15hp and 10-15 torque and depending on your driving environment and driving style, anywhere from 1-3mpg increase in fuel economy.

Other than that, you can get an air intake kit on the cheap on ebay. According to this dyno chart, one could expect up to 7hp and 8 torque but at an rpm range that doesn't reflect typical driving conditions.

https://www.knfilters.ca/dynocharts/57-2537_dyno.pdf

I am a fan of synthetics for obvious reasons but they're not necessarily considered enhancers per say.... however they do perform a lot better than conventional fluids.

Hope this helps,

-b

Depending on the type of speaker system was installed.

Standard was 4 6x8 coaxials

upgraded was front component and rear 6x8s with an 8 inch sub option.

The mustang had the 4.0l in it as well. The odd thing will transfer over. There is also a couple supercharger kits out there that are bolt on. Other then that you are stuck.

Hey MT523, I am kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to the performance parts except I have an 06. I too have the 4.0 V6.

I personally don't believe the exhaust is much of restriction. I think the only things you can do are getting it tuned for higher octane fuel which.... I think it will get ya in the neighborhood of about 10-15hp and 10-15 torque and depending on your driving environment and driving style, anywhere from 1-3mpg increase in fuel economy.

Other than that, you can get an air intake kit on the cheap on ebay. According to this dyno chart, one could expect up to 7hp and 8 torque but at an rpm range that doesn't reflect typical driving conditions.

I am a fan of synthetics for obvious reasons but they're not necessarily considered enhancers per say.... however they do perform a lot better than conventional fluids.

Hope this helps,

-b

Thanks this definitely helps. I probably wouldn't have checked on ebay for the air intake, but the seller has great feedback so I plan to pick one up. Eventually I'll take my car to a shop to see what my options are on an exhaust system.

Wow I think I found the tuner by Jet? It sounds too good and too easy to be true. I'm still debating what order I want to go in with everything but this is on my list.

The mustang had the 4.0l in it as well. The odd thing will transfer over. There is also a couple supercharger kits out there that are bolt on. Other then that you are stuck.

Man that would be awesome but seems a little complicated for my knowledge.

Thanks for help on the speakers. I now have a much better idea of what I can and want to do to this car.

Thanks for help on the speakers. I now have a much better idea of what I can and want to do to this car.
If you have any questions on wiring or just any questions in general don't be afraid to give a shout!

Hey MT532,

Um... I am not so sure about Jet myself. People on this forum generally steer away from Jet brand modules. Most people on here would agree that your better off getting custom tunes made by someone knowledgeable who is familiar with the 4.0 SOHC power-train to get the most effective tuning via an SCT tuner.

I am actually looking in to that myself right now. I can keep you posted if you wish. :)

Let me know,

-b

Hey MT532,

Um... I am not so sure about Jet myself. People on this forum generally steer away from Jet brand modules. Most people on here would agree that your better off getting custom tunes made by someone knowledgeable who is familiar with the 4.0 SOHC power-train to get the most effective tuning via an SCT tuner.

I am actually looking in to that myself right now. I can keep you posted if you wish. :)

Let me know,

-b

Oh ok cool sounds good. That would be awesome if you can keep me posted. Thank you!

Hope this helps,

-b
Consider a panel filter (drop-in) instead, this engine already has a cold air intake from factory, the K&N isn´t, it will draw hot air from under the hood. Also, that is for the gen 3 explorer, maybe it can fit but K&N doesn´t offer this kit for gen 4 (2006-2010) maybe because they didn´t see any meaningful benefit. Get the reusable filter, save cash, I use the aFe one, happy with it, it filters a little better than K&N but you could use either.

Consider a panel filter (drop-in) instead, this engine already has a cold air intake from factory, the K&N isn´t, it will draw hot air from under the hood. Also, that is for the gen 3 explorer, maybe it can fit but K&N doesn´t offer this kit for gen 4 (2006-2010) maybe because they didn´t see any meaningful benefit. Get the reusable filter, save cash, I use the aFe one, happy with it, it filters a little better than K&N but you could use either.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to upgrade the stock sound system in my car and eventually get new exhaust system.

Can anyone tell me if it be easier and/or better to put in a single or double din receiver?

In my first post I said I have an 09 limited but I have an XLT if it makes a difference. Bought from a family and didn't realize.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to upgrade the stock sound system in my car and eventually get new exhaust system.

Can anyone tell me if it be easier and/or better to put in a single or double din receiver?

In my first post I said I have an 09 limited but I have an XLT if it makes a difference. Bought from a family and didn't realize.
Send me a message about what you're wanting to do. I do these things quite a bit for other people and just replaced my entire system

Back