2010 & 2011 Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 & 2011 Explorers

jdgohus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Has anyone seen or have a picture of the 2010 and 2011 side by side to compare the differences in width, height, and length?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you go to the 2011 thread, I know I posted all of the comparisons...

Let's just say it's much wider.

Here is my info: (I was on my phone last night) :)

Here's the beef:

Gen II Explorer (4 door):

L 190"
W (minus mirrors) 70.2"
H 67.5"
Cargo up 41.4cf
Cargo folded 79.8cf
Weight 3,876 lbs.

Escape:

L 174.7"
W 71.1"
H 67.8"
Cargo up 31.4cf
Cargo folded 67.2cf
Weight 3,504 lbs.

Gen IV Explorer:

L 193.4"
W (minus mirrors) 73.7"
H 72.8"
Cargo up 45.1cf
Cargo folded 85.8cf
Weight 4,455 lbs.

Edge:

L 184.2"
W (minus mirrors) 76"
H 67"
Cargo up 32.2cf
Cargo folded 68.9cf
Weight 4,098 lbs.

2011 Explorer:

L 197.1"
W (minus mirrors) 78.9"
H 70.4"
Cargo up 43.8cf
Cargo folded 80.7cf
Weight 4,695 lbs.

So, comparing the 2011 Ex to the gen II, it's 7" longer, 6" wider, 3" taller, and over 800 lbs. heavier- gets you 2cf more cargo space with the third seat folded, and 1cf more cargo space with all of the seats folded.

Here is my info: (I was on my phone last night) :)

Here's the beef:

Gen II Explorer (4 door):

L 190"
W (minus mirrors) 70.2"
H 67.5"
Cargo up 41.4cf
Cargo folded 79.8cf
Weight 3,876 lbs.

Escape:

L 174.7"
W 71.1"
H 67.8"
Cargo up 31.4cf
Cargo folded 67.2cf
Weight 3,504 lbs.

Gen IV Explorer:

L 193.4"
W (minus mirrors) 73.7"
H 72.8"
Cargo up 45.1cf
Cargo folded 85.8cf
Weight 4,455 lbs.

Edge:

L 184.2"
W (minus mirrors) 76"
H 67"
Cargo up 32.2cf
Cargo folded 68.9cf
Weight 4,098 lbs.

2011 Explorer:

L 197.1"
W (minus mirrors) 78.9"
H 70.4"
Cargo up 43.8cf
Cargo folded 80.7cf
Weight 4,695 lbs.

So, comparing the 2011 Ex to the gen II, it's 7" longer, 6" wider, 3" taller, and over 800 lbs. heavier- gets you 2cf more cargo space with the third seat folded, and 1cf more cargo space with all of the seats folded.

How many of you complained about the Bronco 2, when it was made LONGER to make the Explorer?

I don't recall complaining about the Bronco II... I only complained that I gain virtually no space with a larger 2011 Ex compared to my Gen II and I have to fold the mirrors to get it into my garage. They keep getting bigger and bigger without gaining useable room inside. Why do they have to keep growing was my question.

I don't recall complaining about the Bronco II... I only complained that I gain virtually no space with a larger 2011 Ex compared to my Gen II and I have to fold the mirrors to get it into my garage. They keep getting bigger and bigger without gaining useable room inside. Why do they have to keep growing was my question.

Look back at the beginning of the automobile, haven't they all gotten bigger over time? People that don't want the full size but still want space get the new Explorer, so this is probably way they keep getting bigger. Hell that's why I got my '08. Just a thought.

...I'm ordering an '11

It's the idea that models themselves keep growing, not cars in general.

The Taurus kept growing until it's now a full size car.
The Explorer is now wider the original Expedition, and that was based an F-150. (!)

As they do revisions, they keep getting taller, fatter, and really don't grow inside. That was my only point. The Escape is too small, and the Explorer is huge, with no major increase in cargo space, and the one on the lot (Limited, granted) at my dealer is $48,000. WTH?!

...I'm ordering an '11

It's the idea that models themselves keep growing, not cars in general.

The Taurus kept growing until it's now a full size car.
The Explorer is now wider the original Expedition, and that was based an F-150. (!)

As they do revisions, they keep getting taller, fatter, and really don't grow inside. That was my only point. The Escape is too small, and the Explorer is huge, with no major increase in cargo space, and the one on the lot (Limited, granted) at my dealer is $48,000. WTH?!

Hell that's not bad, go price a Tahoe!

I just said it was $48k... If it was a Tahoe, it would be grossly overpriced. :D

I just said it was $48k... If it was a Tahoe, it would be grossly overpriced. :D

IMHO All Gm products are grossly overpriced! Ford's not far behind though.

I remember in 2000, my mom got her Expedition XLT for $28,x.. brand new and it wasn't the cheapest one either. Now, a base Expedition costs $37,x.. MSRP. Pretty crazy.

I remember in 2000, my mom got her Expedition XLT for $28,x.. brand new and it wasn't the cheapest one either. Now, a base Expedition costs $37,x.. MSRP. Pretty crazy.

Yes sir, was looking at a F150 and the price they for them, I think I'll get the F250 and a Powerstroke! Except they want your arm, leg and first born, think not!

I wonder why also Joe.
I have double garage with one side being shorter than the other due to a doorway enclosure into the lower level of the house. That is the side I park on. The Highlander fits in nicely and I can just walk around the back of it ( I back in). The Explorer being 9" longer is going to be a problem. Come Spring I think I'm going to have to clean up the other side and move a few things around so I can start parking there.:rolleyes:

Thanks 1tufgt, that's just what I wanted to see

Back