• Register Today It's free!

2010 explorer common issues??

mes882

Reaction score
City, State
iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mountaineer prem
Looking at 10 explorer with 4.0 with 133000 miles. What are the common issues?? Things I should know before I buy!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mes882 -
There are many posts on the exact question. Do a search and you should get numerous threads.
They have number of issues.

I don't have a 2010, but I'd be surprised if the "big three" were not:
  • timing chain guides failure (rattle) on the 4.0L
  • servo bore failure--especially the overdrive servo--on the transmission, and
  • front and rear hubs/wheel bearings.
Timing chain rattle is most noticeable first few seconds of cold start. Insist on owner letting you do a cold start (e.g., first start of the day), and pop the hood and have him/her start the engine.

Ask whether owner has ever seen a blinking "O/D" light on the dash. Failing overdrive bore issue many not manifest until the trucks has been driven at highway speed for 45 minutes (allowing the ATF fluid to warm up and leak past the bore).

Failing hub/bearings are often noisy or trigger ABS fault light. Bad hubs/bearings are not a reason to avoid buying this truck, however.

Good luck.

Mine is a 2010 EB with 133,000 miles. Presently I have a P0455 evap gross leak unresolved. See post here: P0455 check engine MIL
Here’s what’s been done to my car:
  • Capless Fuel tank filler Neck replaced on warrantee at approx. 40K mi.
  • Replaced leaking radiator ~120k mi
  • Replace leaking water pump~120k mi.
  • Replaced heater blend door actuator 97kmi (common problem).
  • Replace leaking Thermostat housing approx. 90K mi.
  • Replaced both cam chain tensioners 90K mi. due to cam chain noise/rattling. This solved the problem though I’m not sure what it sounds like cold right now. I need to take a listen to that. I’ve seen several articles suggesting the tensioners be replaced every 70k mi or so as a preventative to cam chain problems.
  • Rear wheel camber goes out frequently.

Mine is a 2010 EB with 133,000 miles. Presently I have a P0455 evap gross leak unresolved. See post here: P0455 check engine MIL
Here’s what’s been done to my car:
  • Capless Fuel tank filler Neck replaced on warrantee at approx. 40K mi.
  • Replaced leaking radiator ~120k mi
  • Replace leaking water pump~120k mi.
  • Replaced heater blend door actuator 97kmi (common problem).
  • Replace leaking Thermostat housing approx. 90K mi.
  • Replaced both cam chain tensioners 90K mi. due to cam chain noise/rattling. This solved the problem though I’m not sure what it sounds like cold right now. I need to take a listen to that. I’ve seen several articles suggesting the tensioners be replaced every 70k mi or so as a preventative to cam chain problems.
  • Rear wheel camber goes out frequently.
My 97 with the 4L had a heck of a time with the cooling system as well. 2 radiators, 4 thermostats and 2 hoses in 80k miles. Oh and 2 trans rebuilds in 45k

I have had good luck on my 2010 with the 4L so far. Only had it a couple months though. The door seals on mine are all pulled down somehow. Not sure if that is a common issue.

Plastic T-stat housing can crack, leaking (spraying) antifreeze all over top of engine, easy do-it-yourself repair if it happens;
Radiator also has a plastic tank which can crack;
engine computer went bad on mine, had a big list of trouble codes, but replaced under warranty (80K miles);
fuel gauge sender in gas tank went bad.
Other than those items I've been very happy with my 2010. I use it as my daily driver, but get the tires muddy on weekends for camping with Boy Scouts, hunting, fishing, etc. Have about 90K miles on mine, most of that in past 2 years.

Looking at 10 explorer with 4.0 with 133000 miles. What are the common issues?? Things I should know before I buy!!
Hopefully its not too late but do not buy the 4.0 v6 period !!!!!!! ever.

Hopefully its not too late but do not buy the 4.0 v6 period !!!!!!! ever.
Oh come on the engine isn’t bad. I had one in my 97(215k miles and 2 trans in the ground) With no rattle or anything. My 2010 has been bulletproof so far *knocks on wood*

Oh come on the engine isn’t bad. I had one in my 97(215k miles and 2 trans in the ground) With no rattle or anything. My 2010 has been bulletproof so far *knocks on wood*
You are one of the lucky ones with the engine and the timing chain guide issue, i wish I would have gotten that many miles out of mine and I'm a habitual oil changer. We had to get 3 tranny rebuilds by 185000. Then the guides went so we got a 2006 v8 and those have their own issues.

You are one of the lucky ones with the engine and the timing chain guide issue, i wish I would have gotten that many miles out of mine and I'm a habitual oil changer. We had to get 3 tranny rebuilds by 185000. Then the guides went so we got a 2006 v8 and those have their own issues.
Do you live in a cold place? I think temperature has a lot to do with guide issues. The tensioners on my 2010 are super accessable. I think I will change those every 90k or so as a preventative maitenence thing. The transmissions are terrible in either case though. I don’t get it, especially when rebuilds only last 1/3 the miles as the original somehow. Shouldn’t they last longer due to the kits being improved?

Do you live in a cold place? I think temperature has a lot to do with guide issues. The tensioners on my 2010 are super accessable. I think I will change those every 90k or so as a preventative maitenence thing. The transmissions are terrible in either case though. I don’t get it, especially when rebuilds only last 1/3 the miles as the original somehow. Shouldn’t they last longer due to the kits being improved?
I live in seattle, the tensioners kind of killed it for me , the front ones are easy enough to do, but some genius at ford decided to have a jackshaft to drive the passenger side cam from the back of the head making that job too cost prohibitive compared to the value of the vehicle, and replacing the balance shaft tensioners is another issue.
The 5r55 tranny was designed for a much lighter vehicle, then in 2002 they changed the internal design and made it even less reliable.
Its a bummer because I love explorers they're the best design for us except for the planned obsolescence.

I live in seattle, the tensioners kind of killed it for me , the front ones are easy enough to do, but some genius at ford decided to have a jackshaft to drive the passenger side cam from the back of the head making that job too cost prohibitive compared to the value of the vehicle, and replacing the balance shaft tensioners is another issue.
The 5r55 tranny was designed for a much lighter vehicle, then in 2002 they changed the internal design and made it even less reliable.
Its a bummer because I love explorers they're the best design for us except for the planned obsolescence.
Its an SOHC? Shouldn't it be 1 down the middle? Or are you talking about the 4.6L v8? I have read that the 5R55S from 2008 or so on is different in some ways than the early 2000s one though. I am not sure if that is true or not. I love explorers as well but my 2010 will be my last most likely just because 2011 on has negative appeal to me aesthetically. I am hoping the 2020 bronco picks up where the 2010 explorer left off in terms on sitting on the Ranger chassis :) If not I might have to get a Tahoe LOL

Its an SOHC? Shouldn't it be 1 down the middle? Or are you talking about the 4.6L v8? I have read that the 5R55S from 2008 or so on is different in some ways than the early 2000s one though. I am not sure if that is true or not. I love explorers as well but my 2010 will be my last most likely just because 2011 on has negative appeal to me aesthetically. I am hoping the 2020 bronco picks up where the 2010 explorer left off in terms on sitting on the Ranger chassis :) If not I might have to get a Tahoe LOL
Both have overhead cams. The v8 has all the timing gear in the front, the v6 has a jackshaft that goes down the valley and drives the passenger side cam from the back of the motor forcing you to take the motor out to change the chain and tensioner. Really stupid design.

Ford Explorer Transmission Problems & Overview

This site seems to indicate that the 2006-2010 5r55 was different than the 2002-2005.
That may be true. The 5r55e was bad enough and they made it worse in 2002, and maybe improved it in 2006 because of all the tranny failures.Now the 2011 and up explorers have all kinds of problems but what gets me is they went to an internal water pump that is driven by the cam chain. Its $2000.00 to replace it if you catch it before it puts water into the engine oil, much more if you don't catch it. It will last longer than the warranty though.

Both have overhead cams. The v8 has all the timing gear in the front, the v6 has a jackshaft that goes down the valley and drives the passenger side cam from the back of the motor forcing you to take the motor out to change the chain and tensioner. Really stupid design.
Interesting. So the “single overhead cam” refers to a single cam over each line of cylinders? Thank you :)

That may be true. The 5r55e was bad enough and they made it worse in 2002, and maybe improved it in 2006 because of all the tranny failures.
I bet they did. Ford isn’t known for epic intelligence in design but they do seem to know when they have an issue they could be detramental to sales. Transmissions that only last 100k fits that bill. What year was your v6?

I bet they did. Ford isn’t known for epic intelligence in design but they do seem to know when they have an issue they could be detramental to sales. Transmissions that only last 100k fits that bill. What year was your v6?
It was a 1998.

It was a 1998.
Ah ok. I should talk to someone about the 2010 because the room under the hood is incredible. Might be much easier to change the tensioners at least. I think if you can get the tensioners to work good the cassettes aren't a concern anymore because it keep the chain from whipping them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes single over head cam referrs to each bank of cylinders. A Double Overhead Cam V8 would have a total of 4 cams

Back