2010 Radiator Replacement, Top off ATF? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Radiator Replacement, Top off ATF?

jtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Bronco II
2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 V6. Around 75k miles. Rear climate control.

Background: I had to remove my radiator last summer because my girlfriend broke both the side mounts for it. I put in all new coolant. Because the transmission cooler goes through the radiator, and because the vehicle had around 70k miles on it, I decided it wouldn't hurt to drop the transmission pan and put a new filter in it.

Current problem: Now, the vehicle has started leaking coolant. I THINK it is from the top of the radiator, but I am going to be replacing several other components regardless ("shotgun method"). Parts that I will be replacing are radiator, radiator cap, water pump, upper and lower hoses, bypass hose, thermostat, thermostat housing seal.

Questions: Since I just dropped the transmission pan less than 5k miles ago, can I avoid doing it again this time around? How much transmission fluid do you lose when you disconnect the lines going to the cooler in the radiator? Do you lose enough fluid that it is necessary to add fluid?

Thanks in advance.

- Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did my rad in my 2010 4.0 xlt and it didn't leak enough trans fluid out for me to worry so I didn't add any. That's been 6 months ago prob, o trans or coolant issues ..yet lol

I also did not add any fluid after my radiator replacement. That was only a few thousand miles ago though. I tried to collect everything and figure out how much came out but even being careful water got mixed in. Even then, it didn't amount to much. I think it's worse to have a little too much than a little less. Try to cap the ends off while you're working on it and you should be fine.

Of course, the real question is - how did she break the mounts without destroying the radiator - assuming she wasn't trying to pull it out at the time? So that leaves an accident?.

She broke the mounts by running the vehicle up a snow bank. She ripped off the license place and the lower black bumper trim (deflector?), cracked the bumper, and broke both radiator mounts. The reason she was using my vehicle was because her vehicle was in the body shop from her last collision. Women drivers... Her story was that someone ran a stop sign, and her only options were either hit them or swerve and run up the curb. I wish she would have hit the other vehicle... at least then I wouldn't be fixing my own vehicle.

Back