1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2011-2014 Explorer Tow Button

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by jrupp, September 3, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jrupp

jrupp New Member

August 24, 2013
      Year and Model:
      2012 Explorer XLT
      Does anyone know what exactly happens when you touch the "TOW" button on a factory-tow equipped 2011-2014 Explorer? Does it it work like an Overdrive-off button? Considering adding tow to a non-tow vehicle including switching bumper componets and need to know engineering changes that come with factory tow in addition to the Oil cooler. Thanks in advance for your help and attention. Jeff
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

February 11, 2009
      City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      The Explorer transforms into a robot and starts fighting the Decepticons!

Ford 6-speeds are different in that respect:
      -2006-2010 Explorer/Mountaineer 6-speeds simply lock out 5th and 6th gears. I hate that in my Mounty (forcing all the way into 4th).
      -However, I know that the 6-speeds in recent F150s change the shift points, hold gears longer, but will still allow use of all 6 gears depending on conditions.

I'm sure someone with more details about late model Explorers will chime in soon. You might also check the powertrain sections.