2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

,,,should my next car be a ford?

The answer is obvious, but to my mind the main reason I will never own another Ford is the company's attitude about dealing with this crucial safety issue. They appear to look at their response only as a financial decision. Your previous issues speak to quality control as well.

It has been over a year since Ford had to buy my 2011 Explorer back under California Lemon Law. I continue to receive forum updates and cannot believe that nothing has changed. Ford even went as far as to advertise a new steering system in the 2015's. I thought they must have solved the issue then, but not so.

When the 2011 Explorer came out, safety was their top sales tool. By the time they bought my car back, I was terrified to drive to the store. The Ford had looked to be a smart choice at purchase, but I am so glad to be in our MDX now. Our numbers won't change their policies, but it is very telling about the culture of the company.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, I have been reading some of the posts about the power steering problem and recall 14S06. From what I've read it is a problem in MY 2011 - 2013. Has Ford solved what was causing the issue? Do the 2014 - present Explorers have the same problem? I am seriously considering buying a 2016 Explorer when they hit the lots and I don't want to have to think about my wife losing the power steering while driving on a freeway in traffic. Thanks for any input.

The 14-15 MY have drastically been reduced but some have still reported the failure.

Well at least I guess that's progress. Hopefully the 2016 models will be even better. Thanks

An update to my first post (#881).
I received NO financial help from Ford with regards to my repair of $1600 for a new steering gear assembly.
Dealer used was:
Smith Ford, Washington, NJ
Service manager's response was "save all the paperwork, & maybe a recall will be issued in the future".

An update to my first post (#881).
I received NO financial help from Ford with regards to my repair of $1600 for a new steering gear assembly.
Dealer used was:
Smith Ford, Washington, NJ
Service manager's response was "save all the paperwork, & maybe a recall will be issued in the future".
That's probably in the neighbourhood of what you would have paid for an extended warranty.

Peter

Well, after reading the majority of this thread, I am certainly glad that I was delayed in bringing my 2011 Ex in for the recall. I did experience the system locking up, with the Power Steering Fault message displayed. Thankfully, after a couple attempts at restarting it, it worked correctly again, and has since.
I am bringing in my car tomorrow and from this thread, I now know to insist that they not update the software, but rather replace steering rack, so as not to "use up" the recall fix. Do I have this correct?

Yes, you have that correct but the issue will be, will the dealer do it just on your word that the issue occurred. I don't know if a code is stored or if it was that restarting the vehicle may have cleared it. If the dealer won't replace the rack, I suggest that you then send a PM to Crystal, the Ford rep here and see if she can help out. Good luck.

Peter

Yes, you have that correct but the issue will be, will the dealer do it just on your word that the issue occurred. I don't know if a code is stored or if it was that restarting the vehicle may have cleared it. If the dealer won't replace the rack, I suggest that you then send a PM to Crystal, the Ford rep here and see if she can help out. Good luck.

Peter

I'm going through this exact situation now with my Explorer. I received a recall notice a while ago and took my car in right away for the software fix. Not long after that, I started having problems where intermittently when I was turning I would really have to manhandle the steering wheel but no codes came up on the dashboard.

Two weeks ago I took it in for an oil change service and mentioned to them the problem I was having. They said they would take a look at it and reported back that there didn't seem to be any problem. Then last Friday I went out to take my son to school and right after turning the car on I got the Power Steering Assist Fault error and couldn't turn the steering wheel. From that point I didn't feel comfortable even trying to drive it so I had it towed to the dealership. Of course once it was there, the power steering was working fine. Now, 5 days later, my car is still there and the only thing they keep telling me is that they have not been able to replicate the problem so they can't do anything. I sent the service rep a link to this thread along with links to many other sites that talk about the exact same problem and what the fix is but apparently they won't fix it until they see it happen for themselves or I guess if I drive it and end up wrecking or dying when it just randomly pops up again.

I really don't understand the process here. They were able to retrieve the code from the diagnostics that they did but they have to prove that it really happened before they fix it? And I have an extended warranty that will cover it so it's not like they're trying to save me money.

This is all very frustrating.

Kelly

Welcome to the Forum Kellydcj.:wavey:
I'd suggest that you send a PM to Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this forum and see what she can do to help out. This steering failure is a serious problem that Ford doesn't seem to want to acknowledge. There have already been a couple of accidents because of it. You can use this link to PM Crystal;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

It is also important that you file a report with the NHTSA. See the link in post 928.

Peter

I'm going through this exact situation now with my Explorer...

Welcome to the site, Kelly! I got your PM this morning and replied with your case escalation information. Keep me in the loop moving forward; I'm here if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I'm going through this exact situation now with my Explorer. I received a recall notice a while ago and took my car in right away for the software fix. Not long after that, I started having problems where intermittently when I was turning I would really have to manhandle the steering wheel but no codes came up on the dashboard.

Two weeks ago I took it in for an oil change service and mentioned to them the problem I was having. They said they would take a look at it and reported back that there didn't seem to be any problem. Then last Friday I went out to take my son to school and right after turning the car on I got the Power Steering Assist Fault error and couldn't turn the steering wheel. From that point I didn't feel comfortable even trying to drive it so I had it towed to the dealership. Of course once it was there, the power steering was working fine. Now, 5 days later, my car is still there and the only thing they keep telling me is that they have not been able to replicate the problem so they can't do anything. I sent the service rep a link to this thread along with links to many other sites that talk about the exact same problem and what the fix is but apparently they won't fix it until they see it happen for themselves or I guess if I drive it and end up wrecking or dying when it just randomly pops up again.

I really don't understand the process here. They were able to retrieve the code from the diagnostics that they did but they have to prove that it really happened before they fix it? And I have an extended warranty that will cover it so it's not like they're trying to save me money.

Kelly

If they were able to retrieve the failure code, there is zero reason to need to duplicate the issue. The code itself tells them it failed.

If they were able to retrieve the failure code, there is zero reason to need to duplicate the issue. The code itself tells them it failed.

Exactly! I also came across this service notice which says specifically "If any loss of steering assist DTCs are present, replace the steering gear."

So now I REALLY don't understand why they have to replicate it before they'll do a repair.

Kelly

Exactly! I also came across this service notice which says specifically "If any loss of steering assist DTCs are present, replace the steering gear."

So now I REALLY don't understand why they have to replicate it before they'll do a repair.

Kelly
Since you had the software fix done Ford now considers your recall complete. Had that code been there at the time you took it in for the update, then they would have replaced the steering rack. This situation has occurred several times with members and Ford's response always was the same; "Since the software update was performed, the recall has been completed."

Peter

Since you had the software fix done Ford now considers your recall complete. Had that code been there at the time you took it in for the update, then they would have replaced the steering rack. This situation has occurred several times with members and Ford's response always was the same; "Since the software update was performed, the recall has been completed."

Peter

Hi Peter, Yes, I understand that they won't cover this as part of the recall but now I just want it fixed. I have an extended warranty and I want them to replace the steering gear but they're saying they can't do that unless they can replicate the failure!

Hi Peter, Yes, I understand that they won't cover this as part of the recall but now I just want it fixed. I have an extended warranty and I want them to replace the steering gear but they're saying they can't do that unless they can replicate the failure!
I'd print out that document and take it to the dealer. Since they already pulled the code, that should be enough to indicate there is/was a problem. Hopefully the fact that Crystal is involved will help resolve this issue. Best of luck.

Peter

I think Ford is handling this issue on a "case by case basis" and trying to turn them away any way they can unfortunately to avoid a Class Action Lawsuit. In some cases you are getting a Service Mgr. / Director that has a conscious or a customer that they just don't want to piss off for one reason or another.

There is also this, you can go back through and read the history but the Recall has a warranty of 12 months / 12k miles -

Originally Posted by Olina Sunshine View Post
I read through this thread and found out that my situation is very similar to OldSchoolDropout's. We both have 2011 Explorer, both did the Recall service and had the software updated in July 2014, both had Power steering fault message after that and later on the message stayed on. Luckily two week ago OldSchoolDropout had the Ford agreed to replace the gear under Recall 14S06 at no cost. And today my case was denied by Ford, saying that the software update is completed so my recall is closed. I don't quite understand.
The interesting thing in OldSchoolDropout's last post was this; The 12 month / 12k warranty from Recall 140S6 still did apply I was told, which I was within.
If there is this warranty it should apply to you as well unless you have exceeded the mileage.

Kelly

I would march right back in there with the recall notice that says that and say "explain...."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kelly

I went/am going through the EXACT same thing as you. I have been in touch with Crystal (Ford Service) here on the forums, and although she got me in touch with a CSM for my area, that did not get me anywhere.

The same thing happened to me (brought it in after my software fix apparently failed), and the dealer saw it was broken as I drove it in with the rack in a failed status (no power steering and the litany of warning messages on the dash), and Ford wouldn't fix it either because even though I brought it in broken TWICE, they still said that as I already had the recall done, it would not be covered under that, and that since they cannot duplicate it after clearing the code they would not put in a new rack under any sort of warranty, recall or anything like that unless they could duplicate the problem. I had the car in for well over two weeks and they could not get it to break under their watch.

I didn't get that thinking, but after letters to Ford and the CSM, discussions with the CSM and the dealership, and a constant fear in the back of my mind that it is only a matter of time before it fails again and leaves us stranded somewhere or worse, everyone just threw up their arms and said there is nothing that can be done. Everyone I have dealt with was really nice when they told me that they can do nothing, so I guess that is something, but that does not fix the issue.

Today, I finally bit the bullet and took it in and told them to put a new rack in my truck. I will be paying the full cost of it because I have become tired of the run-around from Ford, my wife constantly complaining and worrying about using the truck and when it will break again, and although it has been working OK for about 3 months since the last failure, there is no trust in the vehicle (as no fix was done either time it was brought in). We have not used it for anything but local travel.

I am extremely disappointed in how this has been handled, but need a reliable vehicle, and unless this is fixed, that is not what I have.

I wish you luck in your endeavor, and hope you are one of those that is able to get things fixed in short order with little problem. I see no reason that a company should offload KNOWN and QUANTIFIED quality problems on their customers, but that is what I perceive to be happening here.

Back