2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Power Steering problem

My 2012 Explorer power steering is fine around town, but on the freeway it's as if there is no power steering and it takes a lot of effort to make small steering corrections, which also causes me to over correct. Any ideas ? Hard to drive and seems unsafe. It feels like it's bound up, and takes a lot to move off center.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2012 Explorer power steering is fine around town, but on the freeway it's as if there is no power steering and it takes a lot of effort to make small steering corrections, which also causes me to over correct. Any ideas ? Hard to drive and seems unsafe. It feels like it's bound up, and takes a lot to move off center.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I think it is really something the dealer should have a look at. Under the older steering setups it should be easier to steer at speed rather than at a stop but these new electronic steering setups seem to have introduced a few different problems. I don't recall reading a post here with similar characteristics as you described. Have you checked the fluid level?

Peter

Thanks Peter, the fluids are fine. I have never experienced anything like this. Usually steering is easier the faster you go, not this car. I have an appt. with the dealer on thursday, They have already indicated they've never heard of such a thing. I've been a Machine Repairman for 50 years and a Crew Chief on an Ashphalt Modified for the past ten. I probably am more critical than most people, but this is obvious to anyone. Hate it when they talk to you like youre an idiot.

Um...there is no fluid. The EPAS system is electro-mechanical, no hydraulics.
Thanks for that. I was wondering about it just after I posted.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Completely unsatisfied

My 2012 Ford Explorer XLT AWD has 32,000 miles and its warraty recently ran out in DEC 2014. I have had the steering assist fault issue for a while now. A year after owning the vehicle the problem started but it happened so intermittenly (once or twice a year) that I did not pay much attention to it. Of course after my warranty ran out, by time, not by miles, the fault occurred almost every day; almost causing my wife and one year old daughter to get in an accident. I took the vehicle to the dealership ran a test, resent the computer and cleaned all the codes and a day later the same fault popped up. I received a case number from Ford (CAS-7293008) and told me to get with the dealership to see if there are any resources available to pay for what according to the dealership is the problem, a rack and pinyon part that with the labor costs $1,600. The dealer's response, we have no resources, it is in Ford's hands. You know, for a car that is only three years old, with low miles, you would think that Ford will stand behind their brand and take care of the costumer. The clear consensus and message on this forum is that this is a serious issue that perhaps needs to be addressed as a recall. Is Ford waiting for accidents to happen to take action? You know, this is the reason why the American public doesn't support the American Car industry, unreliability. I am a Soldier who deploys all the time and only want to feel my family is safe while on the road. Unfortunately I am not. I hope Crystal, from Ford, you read my message and help me ressolve my issue.

2012 FORD EXPLORER XLT AWD 32,000 MILES; VEHICLE PURCHASED ON DEC 2011.

Welcome to the Forum 2012XLT.:wavey:
I suggest that you send Tricia (Ford Service) a PM using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Tricia has taken over for Crystal.

Peter

I took my 2012 Explorer to the dealer yesterday, I'm experiencing "Weak" P.S all the time and the steering actually fights you at 70 mph. Fords answer was there are no codes so we can't do anything !! I'm stuck with a 40K $ P.O.S. that takes Popeye to drive it on the freeway. Used to be when you said Technician, you had an educated man who could think on his feet and solve problems, now all we have are "Code Monkeys " No code-No Fix. I ran a C.N.C. Machine Repair business for 31 years, if I would have pulled that crap I wouln't have been in business very long. Systems partially fail without throwing out codes. The steering on the Explorer is an electric servo assist. The amplifier could be weak, etc, etc ,etc. I'm out of warranty, but I need it to work so I'll pay if Ford can find someone who has balls enough to think without a computer stuck in their face.

I took my 2012 Explorer to the dealer yesterday, I'm experiencing "Weak" P.S all the time and the steering actually fights you at 70 mph. Fords answer was there are no codes so we can't do anything !! I'm stuck with a 40K $ P.O.S. that takes Popeye to drive it on the freeway. Used to be when you said Technician, you had an educated man who could think on his feet and solve problems, now all we have are "Code Monkeys " No code-No Fix. I ran a C.N.C. Machine Repair business for 31 years, if I would have pulled that crap I wouln't have been in business very long. Systems partially fail without throwing out codes. The steering on the Explorer is an electric servo assist. The amplifier could be weak, etc, etc ,etc. I'm out of warranty, but I need it to work so I'll pay if Ford can find someone who has balls enough to think without a computer stuck in their face.
Have you had a dealer tech drive it? You can also contact Tricia,(Ford Service) the rep on this forum and see if she can help out.

Peter

My 2012 Ford Explorer XLT AWD has 32,000 miles and its warraty recently ran out in DEC 2014. I have had the steering assist fault issue for a while now. A year after owning the vehicle the problem started but it happened so intermittenly (once or twice a year) that I did not pay much attention to it. Of course after my warranty ran out, by time, not by miles, the fault occurred almost every day; almost causing my wife and one year old daughter to get in an accident. I took the vehicle to the dealership ran a test, resent the computer and cleaned all the codes and a day later the same fault popped up. I received a case number from Ford (CAS-7293008) and told me to get with the dealership to see if there are any resources available to pay for what according to the dealership is the problem, a rack and pinyon part that with the labor costs $1,600. The dealer's response, we have no resources, it is in Ford's hands. You know, for a car that is only three years old, with low miles, you would think that Ford will stand behind their brand and take care of the costumer. The clear consensus and message on this forum is that this is a serious issue that perhaps needs to be addressed as a recall. Is Ford waiting for accidents to happen to take action? You know, this is the reason why the American public doesn't support the American Car industry, unreliability. I am a Soldier who deploys all the time and only want to feel my family is safe while on the road. Unfortunately I am not. I hope Crystal, from Ford, you read my message and help me ressolve my issue.

2012 FORD EXPLORER XLT AWD 32,000 MILES; VEHICLE PURCHASED ON DEC 2011.

Did you have the initial recall done for the power steering issue? If not, the recall will cover the replacement.

Although I don't mean to come down on you and that it will probably sound that way but it is very difficult to have compassion for someone who has had this issue going on for over a year and decided to ignore it till now. To state that it is now such a safety issue but back then when it was intermittent it was no big deal is ridiculous.

Regardless, thank you for your service!!!!

I did have the Tech drive it, and the service rep. I also had them put a plate on a new one for comparison. The answer was, " Of course the new one will steer easier, it's new and yours has 40k miles " I didn't know power steering has a consumeable property. Good Greif

2012 Explorer Power Steering Fault

It seems that I am late to the forum, but am having exactly the same issues. 2012 Explorer with intermittent power steering faults, seemingly fixed by turning the vehicle off and then back on. The other day, driving on the freeway with my kids in the car, I had a power steering fault as well as a traction assist fault, and completely lost all power steering. It took all of my strength (at 65 mph) to control the car--luckily I was able to safely pull over without causing an accident. The dealer said the power steering recall should have been addressed when they fixed my last recall by replacing the APIM. Now they want to charge me over $1800 to replace the power steering module. For a car that is less than 4 years old, this seems like a major repair. I would think that Ford would want to ensure the quality and safety of their vehicles so that I feel safe transporting my family. I did open a ticket with for (CAS-7363017), but am still waiting to hear from the general manager. You would think that with so many people with this complaint, Ford would recognize this as a problem. I am hopeful, but from other responses it sounds like I shouldn't be too optimistic, that Ford will help me out as I don't have $1800 to spend on this repair.

Welcome to the Forum pricemc. :wavey:
What needs to be replaced is the complete steering rack. Since you have already opened a case file, I don't know if there is anything further that Tricia (Ford Service) can do for you.
Please add the MODEL of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin everytime you post. Thanks.

Peter

After 4 trips to local dealer getting the run around, the replaced my rack under my CPO warranty. $100 deductible. Was about a 3 month process.

I had the recall done on our 2012 Explorer Limited, I had no problems until the recall was performed. But now the light will come on intermediately and last week the power steering would not respond and I had no warning light. Then it suddenly started working again. Luckily I was driving it at the time. My wife normally drives this vehicle. She is MUCH smaller and not as strong as I am and I doubt if it would have happen with her that she would have been able to steer it. The biggest hobby I have is building cars, it could be anything from drag racing to full on restoration mods. I can build a car from the ground up. We've had this vehicle for about 2 years and I've done all the work on it myself other than the recalls. I have to say that if this is such a common problem and the fact that I don't think my wife could turn this vehicle if the steering goes out then I would have to sue Ford if anything happens and they get into a wreck because of this. They as in my 8 year old daughter that is normally in the vehicle with her.

I've read where there is a girl named Crystal here that works for Ford, I would appreciate a PM or a phone call from her or another technician that I could talk to about this.

I had the recall done on our 2012 Explorer Limited, I had no problems until the recall was performed. But now the light will come on intermediately and last week the power steering would not respond and I had no warning light. Then it suddenly started working again. Luckily I was driving it at the time. My wife normally drives this vehicle. She is MUCH smaller and not as strong as I am and I doubt if it would have happen with her that she would have been able to steer it. The biggest hobby I have is building cars, it could be anything from drag racing to full on restoration mods. I can build a car from the ground up. We've had this vehicle for about 2 years and I've done all the work on it myself. I have to say that if this is such a common problem and the fact that I don't think my wife could turn this vehicle if the steering goes out then I would have to sue Ford if anything happens and they get into a wreck because of this. They as in my 8 year old daughter that is normally in the vehicle with her.

I've read where there is a girl named Crystal here that works for Ford, I would appreciate a PM or a phone call from her or another technician that I could talk to about this.
Do you remember what was done under the recall? If it was a software reprograming then that would not have helped the issue. The only way to fix it is to replace the steering rack. Unfortunately, once the recall has been completed, Ford considers the case closed. There are several posts to that effect. You could be looking at an $1800 repair according to some reports. If you want to contact Tricia (FordService) you can use this link;
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
The Ford reps on this Forum are only a go between the customer and the Regional Customer Service Managers. They are not in a position to take calls or contact technicians.

Peter

Do you remember what was done under the recall? If it was a software reprograming then that would not have helped the issue. The only way to fix it is to replace the steering rack. Unfortunately, once the recall has been completed, Ford considers the case closed. There are several posts to that effect. You could be looking at an $1800 repair according to some reports. If you want to contact Tricia (FordService) you can use this link;
The Ford reps on this Forum are only a go between the customer and the Regional Customer Service Managers. They are not in a position to take calls or contact technicians.

Peter

It was the reflash of the computer. Thanks for the post, I've read its somewhere around 1K to buy the rack myself. Its hard for me to trust a tech with the steering in a vehicle that my wife and children ride in. Most tech's around here do not have much of a care about what they are working on so I would rather do the work myself.

anybody have the part number to the newest style steering rack?

anybody have the part number to the newest style steering rack?
It may be an idea to send a PM to a member that had the steering rack replaced if you don't get any replies here. I would think it would be on their invoice.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer steering problem

Please visit NHTSA web page. There is a serious issue with Ford Explorer. A recall was issued and Ford used a software upgrade to "fix" the issue. I had no problems and they did the software upgrade and closed the recall for my explorer. Nine months later the steering gear went out(the real issue) and Ford said it wasn't covered because the recall had been closed with the software upgrade. Now I am expected to pay over $1,500.00 dollars to correct the real problem. My advice is to file a complaint with NHTSA if you have this issue or get rid of your Explorer before you have this issue. Ninety-five percent of the vehicles I have owned were Fords, not so sure on the next purchase.

Back