• Register Today It's free!

2011 3.5 vs 2014 3.5

Homero

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus christi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 exploer
I am in desperate need to know if the 2014 3.5 engine will fit in my 2011. My water pump took a crap and it ruin my engine in my 2011 Explorer. I read up that the 2011 and 2012 dont have oil coolers and 2013 thoigh 2015 do have them..... is there any other difference with the year of the engine that would prevent me from putting this engine in my 2011 explorer...thank you..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Physically aside from added cooler no there is no difference quick glance sensors all seem to look the same I have used misc parts from a 2012 on a 2015 engine that was hit hard up front and all went on with no problems water lines and connections for pcv are all the same aswell the parts I use on my last build from the 2012 were Serpentine tensioner motor mounts front valve cover both cam sensors and upper intake manifold the plastic section and I also used miscellaneous vacuum lines

I am in desperate need to know if the 2014 3.5 engine will fit in my 2011. My water pump took a crap and it ruin my engine in my 2011 Explorer. I read up that the 2011 and 2012 dont have oil coolers and 2013 thoigh 2015 do have them..... is there any other difference with the year of the engine that would prevent me from putting this engine in my 2011 explorer...thank you..

Sorry to hear about your engine being ruined by failed water, completely unacceptable IMO. A couple of questions:

• How many miles were on your engine when water pump failed?
  • Did you get any sort of warning that your coolant was low or your engine was maybe overheating?

The first thing that happened with the crank sensor and cam sensor check engine light code... also the engine was stumbling really bad. So initially I thought it was the crank sensor. I replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor and it was still doing the same thing. I should have checked the oil before anything else. When I was test driving it after I installed the crank sensor and the cam sensor the truck overheat on me.... I pulled over there was no coolant all of the coolant was in the oil pan....

The mailes was 125000

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Another member was looking at the possibility of putting an Ecoboost in their 2011 for the same reason. It turns out only the 2011 and 2012 engines are interchangeable according to what the member found out. Apparently there was a change made in 2013. Can I put an EcoBoost in my 2011
Also, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

The first thing that happened with the crank sensor and cam sensor check engine light code... also the engine was stumbling really bad. So initially I thought it was the crank sensor. I replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor and it was still doing the same thing. I should have checked the oil before anything else. When I was test driving it after I installed the crank sensor and the cam sensor the truck overheat on me.... I pulled over there was no coolant all of the coolant was in the oil pan....

Thanks, pretty much what I expected. How Ford is able to get away this engine design without any sensor warning when the water pump is beginning to fail or more importantly some sort of sensor warning that the coolant is entering the engine oil is beyond my comprehension.

Damn This **** Is Scary Me..
Monday Change Water Pump In My Explorer

Technically No Difference .. Oil Cooler Is Option (Tow Package) .. My 2012 Have Oil Cooler

yup, all they had to do was install a low coolant sensor when designing these vehicles, if you kept driving once that light went on it would be the drivers fault. Great work there omitting the coolant level sensor:rolleyes::thumbsup:. Changes from possibly just a water pump to an engine swap in almost every case it seems like

yup, all they had to do was install a low coolant sensor when designing these vehicles, if you kept driving once that light went on it would be the drivers fault. Great work there omitting the coolant level sensor:rolleyes::thumbsup:. Changes from possibly just a water pump to an engine swap in almost every case it seems like

To me this should result in Recall and sensors should be retrofitted. IMO this is somewhat of a safety issue because you have no way of knowing when a critical component is failing that could result in a seized engine and leave you and/or perhaps your family stranded and then possibly at the mercy of a repair shop or dealership that you have no prior history with. The problem with a Recall is that this would be an admission of a flawed design and then someone may want to know how many 3.5L engines were ruined and replaced due to this design flaw over the years. In summary it could open up a can of worms.

Back