2011 Explorer Bluetooth Noise | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Bluetooth Noise

I got your PM, Car 54. I have a few messages in my inbox before yours, so I’ll shoot you a message as soon as I can.

Cory

You must be busy! Was hoping to get the Ex in the shop this week before my roadtrip next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must be busy! Was hoping to get the Ex in the shop this week before my roadtrip next week.
Yeah, I’m a bit busy at times. :) I just wanted to give you a heads up that I sent you a reply, so check your inbox. :D

Cory

Car 54: I also have blutooth noise, I have yet to take it to the shop. Don't think you will walk in and out with a fix the same day. First thing the dealership will want to do is update your MFT to the latest version, which according to the feedback here in forum, does not resolve the issue. I have been reluctant to take it in for the 40 minute engine idle as the MFT updates, since I am scared the engine might overheat because of this.. Believe it or not, somebody over at facebook posted that therir engine overheated while performing MFT update :thumbdwn: :banghead:

Once the dealership updates you to the latest MFT version, if the noise persists (which I believe will based on the feedback), they claim they have "other measures" which I assume is replacing the microphone, adding foam to isolate noise, etc.

I have read that a "fix is on it's way"... I might just opt to wait for it and then take it on.

New to Ford,

I can speak from experience that the MFT update did not resolve the bluetooth noise problem. However, the update did not cause any overheating. In my conversations with the customer service manager, she told me the MFT update is coming in January. BUT, she did not know if the bluetooth noise is addressed in that update. We can only hope.

New to Ford,

I can speak from experience that the MFT update did not resolve the bluetooth noise problem. However, the update did not cause any overheating. In my conversations with the customer service manager, she told me the MFT update is coming in January. BUT, she did not know if the bluetooth noise is addressed in that update. We can only hope.

Thanks, just to be clear, I did not mean to say that the MFT update itself causes the engine overheat, they have nothing to do with each other. The problem is, if you have faulty radiator fans, 40 minutes of engine idling (while the MFT updates, the vehicle has to be running for about 40 minutes) could lead to engine over heat, but not necessarily.

So after the MFT update, did they replace the microphone and/or add foam?

Figured I'd jump in here and throw my hat in the ring so Ford knows there's one more of us out there not using the Explorer to its advertised full advantage...

Bought an '11 back in July. Have had the wind-tunnel sound from day 1 with both mine and my wife's phone (iPhone 4's). Also went through the whole "black screen of death" on the MFT and have the latest update now. Still sounds like crap. Also have it scheduled to go in next week to fix the windshield rattle.

Been following the thread for a while (since July) and was curioius to see if there's any word on the release Ford was going to put out, and if it mentions this issue, or a fix for it, at all.

So after the MFT update, did they replace the microphone and/or add foam?
My case has been referred to engineering. Maybe they will come back with a new mic or foam, who knows.

Steve,

As I mentioned, my CSM told me the update is coming in January and she did not know if the noise fix was included.

Hey guys,

I mentioned this on a previous page, and I’d like reach out here as well: I’m available to help those experiencing this issue by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already done so, please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Sprint Bluetooth 'refresh' made HUGE difference!

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2012 Limited Explorer with the MyFord Touch option and took it on it's virgin drive - Austin-Houston-Austin - and so had plenty of time on the highway and had 3 horrible phone calls today. I got told the same thing - 'you sound like you're in a wind tunnel'. So, at lunch I used the offending phone to search and found this thread. After calling my house about 5 times at different speeds, it definitely sounded like the connection between the vehicle and the phone was the problem - and possibly some of the noise canceling - the Explorer sounds too 'crisp' - and at the beginning of the connection you can hear the handshaking - like the MFT is cleaning up the signal.

Anyway, after looking through this thread, I wondered if a new phone might actually be worth a test - but before I got one I called Sprint to see what my cancellation fee would be should the new phone work. Well, they transferred me to tech support to first attempt what they could to rectify the situation. With utterly no expecations of a solution, they seem to have come through.

The technician and I talked about the behavior - and he sent a radio stack 'refresh' - by radio, we are talking about the bluetooth and cellular radios in the phone.

Well, I don't know if it will 'stick', but after I pulled the battery on the phone and he sent the 'refresh' codes, the phone reconnected to Sync and I made 3 more calls - one at the stop sign getting ready to go, one getting up to about 40 and a final long one at 70 all to my home answering machine. The ones earlier in the day were horrible. These three were all what I would expect from a good behaving connection - no noise at stop, very very slight noise that starts getting cancelled while getting up to speed and a very acceptable low rumble in the background at 70 - very very quiet - if someone didn't know you were doing 70 they would be completely surprised. I had to physically scratch the microphone at the end of the call to make it cause unacceptable noise this time.

The phone is an HTC Arrive on Sprint - a Windows Phone running Mango - btw, until you do texting with Sync on a Mango phone you haven't seen anything - it is truly amazing - full free form texting with both hands on the wheel - Mango reads the incoming text to you, asks if you want to reply, does voice recognition on your reply, says it back to you and then sends the text, all with bluetooth.

Anyway - thought I would share this out - it could be that carriers know about some potential issues, not sure, but it really made a big difference. I will report back in a few days - I drive and do business calls a lot, so a bad connection is unacceptable.

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2012 Limited Explorer with the MyFord Touch option and took it on it's virgin drive - Austin-Houston-Austin - and so had plenty of time on the highway and had 3 horrible phone calls today. I got told the same thing - 'you sound like you're in a wind tunnel'. So, at lunch I used the offending phone to search and found this thread. After calling my house about 5 times at different speeds, it definitely sounded like the connection between the vehicle and the phone was the problem - and possibly some of the noise canceling - the Explorer sounds too 'crisp' - and at the beginning of the connection you can hear the handshaking - like the MFT is cleaning up the signal.

Anyway, after looking through this thread, I wondered if a new phone might actually be worth a test - but before I got one I called Sprint to see what my cancellation fee would be should the new phone work. Well, they transferred me to tech support to first attempt what they could to rectify the situation. With utterly no expecations of a solution, they seem to have come through.

The technician and I talked about the behavior - and he sent a radio stack 'refresh' - by radio, we are talking about the bluetooth and cellular radios in the phone.

Well, I don't know if it will 'stick', but after I pulled the battery on the phone and he sent the 'refresh' codes, the phone reconnected to Sync and I made 3 more calls - one at the stop sign getting ready to go, one getting up to about 40 and a final long one at 70 all to my home answering machine. The ones earlier in the day were horrible. These three were all what I would expect from a good behaving connection - no noise at stop, very very slight noise that starts getting cancelled while getting up to speed and a very acceptable low rumble in the background at 70 - very very quiet - if someone didn't know you were doing 70 they would be completely surprised. I had to physically scratch the microphone at the end of the call to make it cause unacceptable noise this time.

The phone is an HTC Arrive on Sprint - a Windows Phone running Mango - btw, until you do texting with Sync on a Mango phone you haven't seen anything - it is truly amazing - full free form texting with both hands on the wheel - Mango reads the incoming text to you, asks if you want to reply, does voice recognition on your reply, says it back to you and then sends the text, all with bluetooth.

Anyway - thought I would share this out - it could be that carriers know about some potential issues, not sure, but it really made a big difference. I will report back in a few days - I drive and do business calls a lot, so a bad connection is unacceptable.

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I guess it just goes to show that not all the MFT problems are Ford's fault!

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I guess it just goes to show that not all the MFT problems are Ford's fault!

OK - so, it has now been a couple more days and I have been using the bluetooth functionality on MFT with success ever since the bluetooth radio in my phone got what sounds like a reboot from Sprint.

You can tell I'm in a car, but it's completely normal - just like any other bluetooth - my trade in was a 2009 BMW 328i with iDrive - and it sounds just as good as that. I keep checking with people and they say they can tell I'm in a car, but nothing distracting, just like a good bluetooth system should be - even at highway speeds. The prior noise, which I did experience and all of you know about, is so bad that everyone would have been complaining if it was still occurring.

I also think it has to do with phone placement - the bluetooth radio seems 'touchy' - if I move the phone around while talking people can hear electronic 'screeches' - but if I plug it in the USB tray and close the cover it stays stable. Overall I am pleased - but will update if it comes back.

This is encouraging! Going to call Verizon tech support this weekend and see what the scoop is on if they can perform a radio stack refresh with the iPhone 4. Will report back with the findings Monday.

IamJAd,

I can lend a hand by arranging for you to be contacted by the Customer Service Manager in your area. I have your VIN from tracking your Explorer, so all I would need is a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Cory

I do appreciate the offer, Cory, but Rebecca has done this previously. I did get a test download for the Bluetooth, but it didn't do anything.

You know, if I knew there was a definite fix coming in January, with the rumored rebuild of MFT, I'd be happy to just wait it out.

The local dealers can only do what Mama Ford tells them to do. I appreciate you and Rebecca being here for us, but I just don't see a fix for this. Yet.

This is encouraging! Going to call Verizon tech support this weekend and see what the scoop is on if they can perform a radio stack refresh with the iPhone 4. Will report back with the findings Monday.

Let us know when you know!

You know, if I knew there was a definite fix coming in January, with the rumored rebuild of MFT, I'd be happy to just wait it out.

The local dealers can only do what Mama Ford tells them to do. I appreciate you and Rebecca being here for us, but I just don't see a fix for this. Yet.

I'm with you. It would be worth the wait if there is a fix. Also, I believe the dealer wants very much to help, but they have no clue what it is going to take to make it right. The ball is completely in Ford's court. I'm at the stage where the regional engineer is supposed to come to my dealership and see what he can do.
As far as the radio stack reset for the phone, my carrier is AT&T. I called and I might as well have been talking Greek. They had no clue what I meant.

I do appreciate the offer, Cory, but Rebecca has done this previously. I did get a test download for the Bluetooth, but it didn't do anything...
You’re very welcome, IamJAd. Drop me a line if you change your mind. :)

If you missed my other post, I can lend a hand by sending the info to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Thanks, Tongo, that's the most encouraging news yet. Let's hope it lives up to this prediction!!

Testing

Today I tested my new phone, I had a Blackberry 9630 (not approved) Now I have a Iphone 4 (approved) It still has a good deal of background noise but at different times. More so when speaking and less when not speaking. The tested and approved phone list is very short for My Touch. So I pateintly wait for the big fix. I just try to remember that I bought a car not a bluetooth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let us know when you know!

So Verizon had nothing which could help. Apparently they're saying that the iPhone (and their network) don't have anything similar to a "radio stack update". Tried a couple things with looking at settings, but nothing made a difference. So we're right back to square 1...

Back