• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer

TT 4.6

Reaction score
City, State
PHX, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 XLT
Hey everyone Im new to this site. We just bought my wife the 11 explorer yesterday right off of the frieght truck. Gotta say it is really nice. Especially going from a Lexus 460L.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone Im new to this site. We just bought my wife the 11 explorer yesterday right off of the frieght truck. Gotta say it is really nice. Especially going from a Lexus 460L.
Welcome aboard TT 4.6. I'm also new here and have a 2011 on order. Switching from a 2009 Toyota Highlander Ltd. From what I have read, the Active Park Assist is a better one than the system offered in the Lexus LS. I believe the sensing/computing systems differ. Again, welcome and Happy New Year!!:wavey:

We opted not to get a limited due to the fact that we didnt use any of the fancy stuff on the Lexus. Happy New Year to you also

High praise coming from an owner of a 460L. My wife drives the poor-man's Lexus, the IS250 and although I do enjoy it's luxury features, they're not for me and would not pay for them (IS250 is leased).

Funny how I read about someone who buy's their 2011 Explorer "off the truck" while I'm sitting here, having pre-ordered on September 3rd (should have been mid-August) and I still don't even have a build date yet, let alone a VIN. Furthermore, there are still 0 Explorers at 4 Ford dealerships in the largest city in my state which happens to be 4-5 hour drive from Chicago/factory. Talk about irony.

Hope you like it!

Welcome TT! :wavey:

Congrats on your purchase! Post a picture of your Explorer! :)

High praise coming from an owner of a 460L. My wife drives the poor-man's Lexus, the IS250 and although I do enjoy it's luxury features, they're not for me and would not pay for them (IS250 is leased).

Funny how I read about someone who buy's their 2011 Explorer "off the truck" while I'm sitting here, having pre-ordered on September 3rd (should have been mid-August) and I still don't even have a build date yet, let alone a VIN. Furthermore, there are still 0 Explorers at 4 Ford dealerships in the largest city in my state which happens to be 4-5 hour drive from Chicago/factory. Talk about irony.

Hope you like it!

This was posted yesterday by a Ford rep on the facebook page so may be some good news for at least seeing some at the dealers soon.

"Ford ExplorerI know lots of people want updates as to where trucks are, so here is a quick snapshot of how things are going. We have sold 524 vehicles so far, we have 758 in dealer stock and we have 4,770 in transit as we speak. The plant re-opens soon and hopefully we should start to make great progress on more volume during January. Best wishes and a very Happy New Year, Jay"

I saw that post. The huge number in transit is most likely due to the holidays. Seeing how production started Dec 1st and the plant was shut down for at least 1 week, closer to 2 weeks with people taking off the year-end that means the plant can easily pump out 5000 vehicles a month if not a couple thousand more. At this rate, they'll get through pre-orders in 3 months.

Yeah, 2011 Explorers are starting to show up at all my local dealerships. Some have 2 or more.

Edge929 Have the GM at the dealership SHOW YOU your order status from Ford on their system. Sounds to me that maybe the dealership is not showing you the order as they may want to sell your ordered unit to another person for a higher gross profit and will fill your order when they get more allocation. Something really strange with your order/dealership, you are not getting the full story from your contact at the dealership, go higher up the chain even to the owner if necessary.

I saw that post. The huge number in transit is most likely due to the holidays. Seeing how production started Dec 1st and the plant was shut down for at least 1 week, closer to 2 weeks with people taking off the year-end that means the plant can easily pump out 5000 vehicles a month if not a couple thousand more. At this rate, they'll get through pre-orders in 3 months.

Not sure how reliable this is but there was a guy on the face lol page who said he works at the plant and that they build 500 a day. As well jay from ford made a new post saying some more news.

Just ordered a new limited on dec. 30. Sales said it will be about 6 weeks? I hope so, but at 500 a day
it might happen. That turns out to be about 2 per min. wow. I was also looking on ling to see if I could get some real production no.s per day from the Torrence plant.

Just ordered a new limited on dec. 30. Sales said it will be about 6 weeks? I hope so, but at 500 a day
it might happen. That turns out to be about 2 per min. wow. I was also looking on ling to see if I could get some real production no.s per day from the Torrence plant.

I doubt that is a correct estimate, I would say cut that number by half or more since the explorer is made on the same line as the MKS and Taurus.

Did you order white?

2011-ford-explorer-asssembly-line-drive-off.jpg

Oh my goodness! That is one ugly minivan!

Back