2011 Ford Explorer Water Retention in Doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Water Retention in Doors

FordEx11

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT FWD
New 2011 Ford Explorer has many issues including multiple paint problems, die marks in the doors, alignment issues, vibration or resonance in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Looks like the doors were repainted in Chicago at the factory.

I need to know one thing has anyone notice water being retained between the door and body of their vehicle? I've been told this is a common issue and regardless if it is or not I'd like to get some feedback.

Please see the following YouTube video showing the issue I am experiencing with about 4 oz. of water in the one driver door which sits on the lower shelf.

Please let know if you experience this issue by adding to this thread or a PM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2001 Ranger 4x4, 2007 Explorer XLT and my 2012 Explorer XLT have all done this. No problems discovered, ever.

Just noticed the issue this week. Opened the door after setting overnight in steady rain and thought trapped water splashed out. So whats the fix?

Not aware of any fix at this point.

I would assume a seal redesign but can't be sure.

I am just concerned that this type of pooling will freeze up in the northern climates and cause an issue like door freezing. This is not to mention if salt from the roads gets in there. I just don't want any corrosion problems.

Curious how this could be a problem since all three of my past Fords have done the exact same thing yet never noticed an issue.

Not aware of any fix at this point.

I would assume a seal redesign but can't be sure.

I am just concerned that this type of pooling will freeze up in the northern climates and cause an issue like door freezing. This is not to mention if salt from the roads gets in there. I just don't want any corrosion problems.

Door freezing- mine just did that last week. We had a slow drop in temp overnight, the kind of temp drop that causes big crystal patterns to form on the glass. When I came out in the morning the door was difficult to open because the seals were sticking/frozen.

Jimmy-B:

I think you actually had water inside the door...correct?

I am having it pool in between the door seal and body seal. I've been lucky enough to where is doesn't pool in between the inner door panel out outer metal skin.

If you had it just pooling between the seals, please let me know...

Torents of rain last night. I always towel down the truck and find water on the ledge as well as the inner part of the doors, but never inside. I would think this is just normal as the Escape has done this also. I will make a note to take a closer look next time and post my observations.

...I need to know one thing has anyone notice water being retained between the door and body of their vehicle? I've been told this is a common issue and regardless if it is or not I'd like to get some feedback...
Just noticed the issue this week. Opened the door after setting overnight in steady rain and thought trapped water splashed out. So whats the fix?
FordEx11 & toms2012,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Door freezing- mine just did that last week. We had a slow drop in temp overnight, the kind of temp drop that causes big crystal patterns to form on the glass. When I came out in the morning the door was difficult to open because the seals were sticking/frozen.
Wow, that sounds cold, RandyH2! I still have your information from previous messages, so drop me a line if you’d like a follow-up call.

Cory

Hehe. Not really that cold, it has more to do with the humidity and rate of temperature change. Now when I lived in Minnesota we had some cold temps...

Is there a recommended Armor-All type product for the door seals to prevent this from happening? I don't know if there would be damage to the seals if it happens multiple times.

Thanks,
Randy

Take it to the dealer. The same thing is happening on the Lincoln mks and they have a fix for that so they should be able to fix your explorer.

Curious how this could be a problem since all three of my past Fords have done the exact same thing yet never noticed an issue.

They don't use a lot of salt on the roads in Texas to melt snow and ice do they? Water + salt = rust.

I do not have a new Explorer but i do have a 2011 MKS. What i found out when I had this issue with the two rear doors was these have what Ford call's "wet doors". They are designed for water to run through the doors and drain out, what happens is the seals at the bottom of the door sticks and does not allow the water to fully drain. My Lincoln dealer was very aware of this issue. They cleaned the drains and i believe lubricated the seals to keep them from sticking.

My feeling is this will be something that needs to be checked on a regualar basis, you can reach down and make sure the seals are not stuck easily.

Service Mgr told me this is very common on the MKS, and Sable, The EX is of course the same platform.

Thread necromancy! *wiggles fingers*

Has anyone taken their 2011-12 to the dealer and gotten a fix for this issue? This is one of the reasons why I found this site. :)

If the dealer didn't fix it, was there a home remedy that worked in all types of precipitation?

Thread necromancy! *wiggles fingers*

Has anyone taken their 2011-12 to the dealer and gotten a fix for this issue? This is one of the reasons why I found this site. :)

If the dealer didn't fix it, was there a home remedy that worked in all types of precipitation?

Hi Untamed,

Welcome to the forum. Your thread necromancy has summoned me! ;)

I want to step in and help by getting this escalated to your regional customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. Leave the rest to me!

Crystal

Deleted and sent via PM as originally requested, because I was too stupid to follow directions. :D

I was not that concerned about this before, thinking that as long as the paint is intact there really isn't any reason for concern. I admit not having the least bit of knowledge about paint durability.
Now that my paint has worn/rubbed off along the lower edge of the door I am a bit more concerned about this....

Deleted and sent via PM as originally requested, because I was too stupid to follow directions. :D

Hey Untamed,

I responded to your PM, so you may want to take a look at your inbox. :D

I was not that concerned about this before, thinking that as long as the paint is intact there really isn't any reason for concern. I admit not having the least bit of knowledge about paint durability.
Now that my paint has worn/rubbed off along the lower edge of the door I am a bit more concerned about this....

Hi RandyH2,

Have you brought this concern to the attention of your dealership? I know you were in touch with Cory in the past; I'm happy to look into how I can assist. Send me a PM with the usual info (VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to revive an old thread

Hi,

Just came back to the forum as this same water issue is one I am having in my driver side door. Living on the "Wet" coast it has become a real pain in that water pours on one's feet and I am now starting to see slight corrosion along the bottom of the door. :(

Wondering if one of the Ford folks could let me know how to get in touch with an area service manager for a Canadian customer? I am located in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Will be taking my truck to the dealer as this issue is getting a bit ridiculous but just figure I'd be proactive.

Does anyone have a comment as to what the actual fix was/is??

Thanks!!!

Back