2011 limited stretched timing chain, weeks out of warranty. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 limited stretched timing chain, weeks out of warranty.

mattbult

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 LTD
Hey guys,

Just looking for a little advice. We have a 2011 limited with 95k on it. We purchased the extended warranty through our dealer which is 7/100k, it expired at the end of june at the end of july my wife took the car for a 250 mil trip and it threw a CEL with a cam/crank sensor error. Brought it to the local Ford dealer and diagnosed as stretched timing chain, $2600 repair. We have been faithful with maintenance at our local dealer. We are the original owners. Called Ford to see if they would honor the warranty and were told that that needs to go through the dealer. The dealer where it is doe not really care and they do not want to file a case. Our home dealer cannot (will not) do anything without the vehicle in their shop. The cost to tow it the 250 miles back is prohibitive. Anyone have any advice on trying to get Ford to honor this warranty? I know its out by a few weeks, but its soooo close and still under 100k miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-m

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

talk to the service manager, if they still say no, call Ford customer service, if they say no, shop around for a better price

Hey guys,

Just looking for a little advice. We have a 2011 limited with 95k on it. We purchased the extended warranty through our dealer which is 7/100k, it expired at the end of june at the end of july my wife took the car for a 250 mil trip and it threw a CEL with a cam/crank sensor error. Brought it to the local Ford dealer and diagnosed as stretched timing chain, $2600 repair. We have been faithful with maintenance at our local dealer. We are the original owners. Called Ford to see if they would honor the warranty and were told that that needs to go through the dealer. The dealer where it is doe not really care and they do not want to file a case. Our home dealer cannot (will not) do anything without the vehicle in their shop. The cost to tow it the 250 miles back is prohibitive. Anyone have any advice on trying to get Ford to honor this warranty? I know its out by a few weeks, but its soooo close and still under 100k miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-m
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
7+ years is a long time between your 1st and 2nd posts.:D
It seems you are still within the mileage limits of your ESP at 95k and a 2011 with a 7 year ESP should take you into 2018 should it not?

Peter

If you are over the 7byr or over the 100m, there is no warranty to honor.. it is over.

But as Peter said, explorers have not been put for 7 years so if you are at 95k, you should be covered.

Lastly, there is verry very little wiggle room for Ford on an ESP claim. If you were just outside your bumper to bumper or powertrain, they may consider it. But an ESP is to cover repairs on an older or higher mileage vehicle (term wise).. Ford wants nothing to do with covering a vehicle outside the ESP terms. You had the option to renew or buy another if you wanted to.

I extended mine the last day of coverage for another 3 yrs. Couldn't get the Premium version duebto age and now 3 months later, my side view mirrors, touch pad to unlock doors on drivers door and strut bearing need replacing. None is covered under the lower plan I bought. Should Ford cover it because I'm a few months out... of course not.

Sorry if I s o ynd harsh but that is reality. An ESP is contract and it is black and white

I would get a second opinion on anyone claiming "stretched timing chain."

rent a uhaul and dolly and tow it back to the dealer.
less than 100.00 for the day

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
7+ years is a long time between your 1st and 2nd posts.:D
It seems you are still within the mileage limits of your ESP at 95k and a 2011 with a 7 year ESP should take you into 2018 should it not?

Peter

Sorry, that's a 6 year 100k warranty.

Thanks everyone. We authorized the work, really kind of over a barrel with the car being out of town and needing it. Wish I had more time to get a second opinion or tow it back home (unfortunately the explorer is also my only towing vehicle). You know how it is, never pleasant to have a major repair just after the warranty expires. I know sometimes Ford is willing to honor loyalty, especially for new car buyers that are getting near that magical time to replace a 100,000 mile car, and was just wondering if anyone has had any success appealing to Ford.

-m

Update. This is not a timing chain issue. The water pump disintegrated and threw metal all over the engine. Now I get to buy a new engine for $7500. Again, weeks out of warranty. Crud. I have seen this issue with at least two other 2011 explorers. I urge you to consider selling your explorer at 90,000 miles or preemptively replacing the water pump. Or get the extended extended warranty!

Back