• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer 4WD XLT

RareNX

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hey what's up everybody? I'm the FNG. I have a 2013 Explorer XLT w/ 152K miles.
I took it to the shop yesterday and I had a few issues that I wanted to run by the professionals and shadetrsha mechanics what they thought or an opinion on what to do.
1st issue:
AC pump clutch failure.
I did notice a sound from the area of the drive Belt a couple days ago, so I replaced the drive Belt. The truck was fine that day been while in the driveway that evening it sounded like valves clanging. I popped the hood and looked at the pulleys and it looked like the AC pulley was slapping. I guess my question would be is there a cheaper route to go than the $1000+ the dealer wants.
2nd issue:
Interior dome lights, door chimer and puddle lights don't work. Also while the vehicle is moving at 80mph it stops, like it has a governor on it. I've read that it could be because of the MyKey but the dealer states that I don't have MyKey. It seems like I at one time had the ability to adjust the parameters of the MyKey, but who knows.

Thank you beforehand for all advice and help.
preview.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey what's up everybody? I'm the FNG. I have a 2013 Explorer XLT w/ 152K miles.
I took it to the shop yesterday and I had a few issues that I wanted to run by the professionals and shadetrsha mechanics what they thought or an opinion on what to do.
1st issue:
AC pump clutch failure.
I did notice a sound from the area of the drive Belt a couple days ago, so I replaced the drive Belt. The truck was fine that day been while in the driveway that evening it sounded like valves clanging. I popped the hood and looked at the pulleys and it looked like the AC pulley was slapping. I guess my question would be is there a cheaper route to go than the $1000+ the dealer wants.
2nd issue:
Interior dome lights, door chimer and puddle lights don't work. Also while the vehicle is moving at 80mph it stops, like it has a governor on it. I've read that it could be because of the MyKey but the dealer states that I don't have MyKey. It seems like I at one time had the ability to adjust the parameters of the MyKey, but who knows.

Thank you beforehand for all advice and help. View attachment 157639

Regarding the first issue, you can probably do better than $1000 for a A/C compressor clutch replacement. Are you sure it’s just the clutch and not a seized compressor? I don’t know if a bypass pulley is available, and I didn’t bother looking because I think that’s a horrible solution on a vehicle this new.

If your vehicle is equipped with My Key, your manual will tell you how to program it. If you’ve lost your copy, they’re available for free on Ford’s website.

Welcome to the Forum RareNX.:wave:
Do your interior lights work when you turn them on with their switches. If so, and they don't work when the door is opened then it is likely fuse #12 in the cabin fuse panel that you should check. There are 2 fuses that govern them. One is for On Demand (switches) and one is for Courtesy (doors).
As for MyKey, the Manual does not specify "if equipped" so I would say that you have it. As jo7hs2 mentioned, your Manual contains info on it (page 69 of forth print).

Peter

Thanks guys...I'm getting a 2nd opinion tomorrow, so I'm hoping to be back on the road sometime later this week.

Peterk9 the interior light do work when you push the switch. The dealer Said it could "possibly" be the IPC and they want to replace it. There was a code stored in the IPC (U3000:44).
20180414_121523.jpg

Did they check the fuse? If fuse #12 is blown, your interior lights won't come on when you open the doors and your puddle lights won't work. You can check your Manual and see what the fuse controls. A new fuse is less costly than a new IPC.

Peter

Did the dealer specifically say it was just the AC clutch? If so, that should only be a couple hundred and I don't see how it failing would contaminate the entire AC system to the tune of thousands. If they planned to replace the entire AC compressor and recharge the system, maybe the $1000 is their going rate, but it still seems a bit high to me - I'd have it done elsewhere (local indy shop).

Did you by chance replace your battery recently and that is when the speed limiter/mykey issue started? I don't believe you need to replace your IPC, just clear out the current keys and reprogram them to the vehicle and you should get your mykey settings back. You can do this with Forscan or a good auto locksmith should have the tools to do this (may require purchasing a new key unless you have at least 2 original keys - probably be cheaper than a dealer though).

Back